Why I Hate Gun Magazines

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by dirtdart, Dec 13, 2010.

1. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

Recently I was standing in front of the magazine rack at Forward Operating Base Salerno looking for some reading material to keep me entertained during an upcoming 20hr. flight back to the USA.

On the rack was the latest edition of Petersons Hunting and I thought, Hey! This should keep me busy for awhile.

Well I didn't look at the cover too closely. Should have because I know Craig Boddington is one of the editors and I have little respect for his opinions.

When I got on the long flight from Dubai to Atlanta I pulled the magazine out and right on the cover was a highlighted article..."The Dirty Dozen" The twelve worse deer calibers ever!

Wow! Went down the list. After reading I left the Magazine on the plane I was so upset with the greenhorn author's, 'Skip Knowles', opinion who penned that mess. First on the list was the Rem 7mm Magnum then followed by some of my other favorites in my firearm collection. The .375 Winchester, 300 Savage, 44 Rem. Mag, 32 Winchester Special, .243 Winchester, .280 Remington, 444 Marlin, .300 RUM, and the old Winchester .351.

To this day I've killed more than a couple dozen with my old 32 Win Spl, 4 with my .375, a handful each with my .243, 300 Sav, and 280 Rem. Fact is, If I were to suggest single cartridge to fill the needs of everything in North America with just one rifle it would probably be a coin toss between the .280 Remington or the 30'06 Springfield.

Just another typical writer who probably has never witnessed what a 300 Savage can do or has never considered the wide bullet range advantage the .280 Rem has over the .270 Win. I'll never spend another dime on Peterson's.

http://www.petersenshunting.com/content/worst-deer-calibers-ever/1

2. .375H&H

.375H&H Well-Known Member

I'm a subscriber to them and like them. I took it a little different than you. I own a .280 also and kinda like the gun. My only beef with it is finding ammo with ease. Yeah I can find it but one time I was flying to Texas and I knew I put them in my ammo box with my sons ammo. Low and behold I did not so had to run all the way back into San Antonio to find ammo. Needless to say I don't travel with it anymore. I stick to the .308,.300wsm and other easily found ammo.

3. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Well-Known Member

Craig has always marched to the beat of a different drummer in my opinion. Doesn't surprise me.

4. loki

loki Well-Known Member

Sounds like buyers remorse to me. At least you got worked up over it. Maybe it was worth the 8.00 after all. :biggrin:

5. loki

loki Well-Known Member

I used to pore over gun magazines on a regular basis. These days......not so much. For one thing gun magazines and gun writers seem to exist to sell guns. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

For another all the magazines seemed to be fixated on ar guns. I was standing at wally world yesterday and was looking at the gun magazines and I'll swear 8 out of 10 of them had some tricked out ar's on the cover.

I've just decided to read the articles at wally world for free while my wife shops. That way I can get a good laugh and not have to pay for it.

6. Hudge

Hudge Well-Known Member

This article, and the 10 Best Deer Cartridges seem to rotate every two years. It's Craiq Boddington, so what do you expect. I have killed deer with the .243 and .280. I'll be honest, I do not reload, and the only place I have had a problem buying .280 ammo was in AR and MS. When I lived in MT, and TX, I could find it regularly. AR is not bad, just not as big of selection and you have to go to Ft. Thompson's or Gander to get it.

7. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

personally i'm not a big fan of the 243 either but after doing some reading on the .280 i want one! and a 7mag?? what next a .22lr is no good for squirrels ???

8. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

I killed a many a deer with my model 94 .32 win spl.........and my son coondawg and daughter 30oughtsixes bought me a model 94 winchesterAE 30/30[2 years ago] and I passed the .32 down to coondawg! First deer I killed with the 30/30 was a 200 yd shot DRT!:razz:

9. ursus

ursus Well-Known Member

Although I don't agree with the cartridges mentioned in the article I like a writer that is willing to state their opinion. I get sick of writers that are unwilling to write about personal biases because they want to be perceived as "politically correct". I like a friendly debate on gun topics. With guns and cartridges, you can provide an argument for or against virtually anything. In the end, I love them all.

10. dirtdart

John. That must have been difficult. All of my lever guns have Williams FP or 5D sights on them but one. Yep! The 32 WinSPL. I just couldn't stand to remove the rear sight. I love my little 32. It's a shame that you can't find 170gr. Win. Silver Tips for them anymore. My 170 Speer's will have to fill the bill now.

I know that nobody will believe this but while I was home I went shooting with my brother and neighbor. They were sighting in rifles so I decided to drag out the Marlin 375. I put three .375 Win bullets in a group of .651 at 100 yards using only the Williams 5D receiver sight.

11. demented

demented Well-Known Member

Opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one and half of them stink! I haven't bought any gun rags in at least ten years-got tired of some A**** telling me my equipment, rifle, scope, yada yada tweren't any good. Also got tired of those writers Godlike ability to shoot tiny groups with whatever firearm they were testing, all those glowing reports about all those "perfect" firearms they test...in short, tired of all the BS!

12. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    I agree 100%. I used to get quite a few mags but have dropped them all over the years. Haven't gotten a gun mag in years.

13. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

I picked up the same mag, saw the article, shook my head, & put it back. It was an obvious attempt to get people riled up with their silly premise about the merits of those cartidges...they were trying to get you to buy the mag.

If they think I am stupid enough to be baited in by that sort of Jerry Springer tactic, they were wrong.

Not all the Gun Mags are bad. Every month I grab my new American Rifleman & turn to the back page to read "I have this old gun..." AR gives facts about the guns they report upon, their history & impact, some tech info, talk about scarcity, & value...the kind of things I am interested in hearing.

Remember the days when Grits Gresham, Jack OConnor, Elmer Keith, etc, used to write for the big mags?? Those guys walked the talk way before they started writing.

I think there are people on this site that have the technical skill to report very well on firearms, give hunting anecdotes, and write interesting articles...way better than most of those current city boy journalism majors that went on two high fence guided hunts and are now experts on gun performance.

14. flintknapper

flintknapper Moderator/smokepole pimp

I agree.

15. dirtdart

Those were the good old days. Grits and Jack were my favorites. I just wonder what those two would think if they were to read some of the stuff that is published today?

I had magazines from the 50's and 60's that I saved in boxes...loved to read through them. Great stories....Returned from Germany to find them all gone. Parents had built a new garage and threw all of my magazines away...

Grits and Jack both were pretty good wing shooters...different world these days.

16. AirForceHawg

AirForceHawg Well-Known Member

I've got some old American Rifleman magazines from 2003 that were given to me a while back. Lately, they've been my toilet reading just for kicks. I tell you what, I feel like a prophet reading back so far. If only I'd been around to tell them that the .223 WSSM wouldn't turn out as great as they were hoping.

17. roydchristopher

roydchristopher Well-Known Member

magazines

I think a lot of writers forget the fundamentals of: 1 - placement, 2 - penetration, and 3 - dead deer.

18. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    People on here tell you their real world experiences, not what the "super gun of the month" is paying them to say.

19. Bear Stalker

Bear Stalker Active Member

Gun and Accessory Sales

If there were only one big game hunting rifle in the world, 30-06 Springfield with iron sights would be a good choice. The trouble with these is that they last forever, are rock solid, and always work. 7mm Rem Mag is about the same story. A stainless 7mm Rem Mag would be a good survival choice. Paddle your boat with it if you have to, and it will still put a moose down or pick the head off a grouse. .243 is a tad light, and if you are not a world class sprinter you might want to settle a brown bear or a moose rather than have to outrun it after ticking it off. Still, a good shot with a light bullet is better than a poor shot with a cannon. All the rest of it is just toys that we love because we like toys, not because they do anything practical. We are not military snipers. We just like to have toys and the manufacturers like to provide them.

20. dirtdart

I like all my toys. Rifle makers contribute so much to writers and publications their influence on the market is seen every day. Calibers that have went from "wildcat" to industry standard puzzle me.

When Remington adopted the .260 Rem and the 7mm-08 gun writers went to work telling people why they should go out and get these things and came up with every reason known to hunters who constantly seek the next best thing.

It was tough enough to find factory ammunition for the 6.5x55 and the 7x57 Mauser. Neither of the .308 based cases will exceed the performance of the old Mausers but the gun hacks sure convinced people that they would. Tough for a Remington Rolling Block to handle modern pressures...or an old small ring Mauser to handle the pressure of a hot 6.5x55 loaded for a modern Model 70. I know it was the intent. Create a modern 6.5 and a 7mm that could only be fired in a modern firearm. Gun hacks didn't care. They slammed the old 7mmMauser and 6.5x55 in every article they could. Drawing in future rifle buyers who had experienced great success with the old Mausers with the promise of improved performance. Did the same with the 300 Win Short Mag. Not the workhorse that the 300 Win Mag is but they sure did their best to create data on recoil advantages over the 300 Magnums and speed advantages over the 30'06.

Well...I don't own a .260, 7mm-08, or any short Magnum. But I do own a 6.5x55, 7x57, 270, 30'06, 308, 243, 280, 300 Weatherby, 300 H&H, and for the .338 Fed guys I prefer my .338 Win Mag.

I love all my toys and there's not a single short magnum, short action ultra magnum, or ultra magnum in my gun rack. Just wish more of the rifle makers would offer some of the best calibers ever. I'd like to be able to see a good box of 140gr. 6.5x55's or a box of 160gr 7x57's grace the shelves at the local Wal-Mart.