Why cant we hunt coyotes at night? in Arkansas

Discussion in 'Predators, Varmints, and Hogs' started by iivydriff, Dec 14, 2012.

1. iivydriff

iivydriff Well-Known Member

Does anyone out there see a good reason at all that we are not allowed to hunt predators at night? Its not like we are low on Coyotes in this state. The turkeys are practically gone in my area. Bobcats, Fox, and coyote numbers are higher than I have ever seen in my lifetime. Coons are thick too. AGFC says there are not enough predator hunters to justify changing the law. If the law was changed the number of predator hunters would increase rapidly. Most other states in the US allow it so what is the big deal? The AGFC also claims that we dont need to be wasting coyotes needlessly. Well how come we can hunt hogs at night and waste them needlessly. It says right in the hunting manual to shoot hogs and leave them laying if you want. So what is the real reason we are not allowed to night hunt for predators. Also AGFC biologists claim that night hunting wouldnt even put a dent in the coyote population and will even make them raise more young. Now im going to be honest Ive never hunted coyotes, but ive been wanting to get into it for years and if it were legal to do it at night I would have started a long time ago. Ive shot several coyotes when I was out deer hunting mostly, but in the dead of winter it would be nice to go out and hunt. I just think more people would likely be successful and interested if they could hunt them at night.
    I know the AGFC is going to holler about spotlighting deer. But i say if someone is going to spotlight deer they will do it anyway. Coyote hunting has nothing to do with it. If it was Rimfire and shotgun only that would probably make most people happy. There is coyote sign everywhere around my food plot. I killed one coyote there this deer season. When I put out game cameras I get just as many pics of coyotes as I do deer almost. The deer numbers are way down in that spot. I think the deer are just avoiding that area because of so much coyote traffic. I am going to start hunting coyotes soon. Im sure I can take some in the daytime, but it would sure be nice to hunt them at night.

2. F B

F B Administrator Staff Member

Cabot
    Im not anti game and fish by any means and generally speaking think they do a pretty good job but thats crazy if thats all theyve got.

It makes no sense to me that we cant hunt coyotes at night. If you want to keep it illegal to shoot bobcats or fox thats one thing but we should be able to hunt/shoot coyotes any chance 24/7/365 imo.

3. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I agree - since it is legal to hunt hogs At night on private land with any caliber - what possible legitimate reason does game and fish have to not allow yote hunting at night on private land.

4. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

jonesboro
    If they ever do legalize it you can forget about them ever catching anybody spotlighting deer. Every call they get about shooting at night will be chaulked up as coyote hunters and will never be checked out................................................Like it is now.:rolleyes:

5. You cant hunt coyotes at night???? OOPS

6. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

Many years ago I was a member of the Arkansas Varminters association or something like that. Our primary goal was to show the Commision that there were enough interested people to relax their caliber restrictions for predator hunting. The President was a guy from LR and he guided us on who and what to write requesting a change. If I remember right it took about 2 or 3 years to get them to allow 22 centerfires on private land. It is probably doable but it will take a group of people to step up and push for it.
    I would love to be able to call at night. I work with a guy who does it in Texas and it is his favorite hunting. He claims it works much better to call in the dark.

7. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    It's OK to waste them during the day but not at night. :fit:

AGFC isn't known for being the sharpest knives in the drawer at times

8. flydown

flydown Well-Known Member

Beebe
    Because we are all POACHERS.

9. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    If ya ain't one yet they think you will turn in to one when you are allowed to hunt at night.

10. Cjdavis618

Cjdavis618 Well-Known Member

Don't even get me started on this issue.

I have done it for years in Texas and if you know the setup and how to do it, it can be tremendously effective on reducing predators. Especially the ones that cause livestock problems.

The op is right. Blake Sasse always says that there is not enough interest and it is not worth it to the enforcement to deal with it for the low numbers of hunters that would do it. I call bull crap on it but he has the job and I don't. Still doesn't make either of us right.

Until someone can get close enough to the powers in the commission and show them the difference it will never change. Even our supreme court justice Sam Alito knows that night hunting is more effective. A friend of mine guided him a couple of years back.

For those that are equipped to night hunt should be able to as long as the land owner provides the permission. I would gladly call our local warden (Which never answers a call or returns messages) to let them know where to come check me. I would jump at the chance for any of the powers to allow us to go out on a hunt and show the process and effectiveness. Even beyond using lights, and using night vision and thermal. There is really no comparison to doing that in Texas.

That is one reason I will not be living in the liberal state of Arkansas much longer. We all choose our passions and live life around them. Night hunting in Texas is one of my favorite things in the world.

11. Nomosendero

Nomosendero Well-Known Member

We are ran by Liberals, I have considered moving to OK or TX. Other States say they aren't going to aid set up Health Care & the Feds can do whatever, but Beebee says we will be the first to conply & AR says Yassir. Same with G&F. We don't have to worry about killing too many Coyotes, but worry about not killing enough!!

12. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    A picture says a thousand words!!

bb.jpg

13. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

So - it is alright if I go out with my .450 bushmaster and a 3,000,000 candlepower light and blaze away at hogs all night long - 365 days a year, but if I happen to shoot at a coyote during this process it is somehow different - and illegal?

14. jdawg

jdawg Super Member<br>2013-14 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Haha. Exactly what I said..

15. Cjdavis618

So are you blaming coyote hunters for this or AGFC? Hard to understand your meaning.

16. sam

sam Grand Member

They can claim they're hog hunt'n now, perfectly legal with any gun and a spot light to hog hunt at night. So how would legalizing varmint hunting be any different?

17. btech29

btech29 Well-Known Member

A lot of very conservative states do not allow hunting coyotes at night, including the very conservative Oklahoma and Kansas.

My personal opinion is it would do little to control predators. We have too many houses, cattle etc, and with our rolling landscape it would be dangerous. Plus we already have so many poachers that giving them a legitimate reason to be driving around at night with a gun and light would only make them worse. Its way more fun during the day anyway.

18. Cjdavis618

Btech, I disagree.

Like was said above, Hog hunters, bobcat dog hunters, Coon hunters, etc etc are already out doing this at night. No reason that I can see that coyotes shouldn't be allowed as well.

As for dangerous, not if you follow some very simple rules. And unless you have done it before, it is hard to understand that it can actually be more safe than day hunting. For instance, during the day, it can be hard to see houses through the trees at a distance in your area unless you know they are there. At night, lights from the houses are easy to pick up and you know what directions that are not safe. Furthermore, since you are calling the animals to you just like in daytime, they are going to come closer and be more easily identified because they are bolder at night. You hunt the same ways you do in daytime by trying to get into valleys and such. There is no increase in danger when that is done. If you can't tell the difference between a cow and a coyote at 100 yards through a scope, you have other issues. :fit:

And for those that say you might shoot someones dog, forget it. Looking through a scope at a lit up coyote makes them so clear that you can see in HD and count hairs. You would see collars and features that clearly are not coyote. Another thing is dogs bark at callers 99% of the time anyway.

And actually Oklahoma does allow it, you just have to get permission from the warden and tell him your location. Doesn't require a depredation "Permit" though.

One last point, while there are a couple of conservative states that do not allow night hunting. There is a slew of northeastern, very high density population states that do allow it also (A couple even anti-gun states). Just saying it can't be done due to population is an argument without merit.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  19. Revnate

Revnate Well-Known Member

Fordyce
    The ONLY reason night hunting for hogs is legal is because AGFC can't regulate hog hunting outside of AGFC-controlled lands. By state law, feral hogs are livestock, not game.

Short answer to the OP question- because you and I are not considered trustworthy by our taskmasters.

20. Cjdavis618

Btech, after hunting with you in contests and such, you might shoot the cows on purpose. Maybe you shouldn't night hunt.. lol

I do think you should take a trip to Texas with me and try it though. You will be ruint.. :)