Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of ya'll would support having to shoot 3 kill shots at 20 yards to get to bowhunt? There are lots of deer getting crippled on a WMA close to my folks, too much pressure, people can't judge distance and they make bad shots. If you can't hit the kill zone at 20 yards on flat ground how are you going to shoot a deer very well from a stand in a tree and over 20??:eek: I practice a lot as do a lot of bowhunters. Thanks.

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
In theory, it would be nice to know that all bowhunters are competent with their weapon. In reality, however, it just wouldnt work well.

Some states do require a separate bowhunter education class though. I think it's mostly those pinko Northeastern states where they also have minium age restrictions, they cant hunt on Sunday, and their overall hunter numbers are dwindling like this week's stock market.
More hunter ed would be a major stumbling block to bringing new people into the sport.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm pretty sure that anyone who bowhunts has had the oppertunity to experience a bad shot, I know i have and if you havent you will. so i dont see what a test would resolve. Most of us bowhunters respect the animals enough that we do everything possible to prevent a bad shot and crippling an animal. As bad as it sux it is going to happen!!! I dont like the idea of taking a bow out of a kids hands just cuz he cant pass a test when he has already passed the hunters ed. I would rather have my kids in the woods learning from their mistakes there as i would them on the street learning from their mistakes about drugs!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,788 Posts
To make citizens pass an initial test on how the government works, to make sure they know where the candidates stand on issues, and make sure they're proficient in English, the national language. Yes. I'm all for it.

To let people bowhunt, no.

Too similar to a "make everyone pass a test to own a firearm" to make me feel comfortable about it.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I'm off of work sick today, stomache trouble. That aside, I have mixed feelings and opinions on the matter. True, we hunters should practice, practice, and practice some more to be as prificient as possible with our equipment, well in advance to going archery hunting. We should practice judging distance and take only select shots, at our skill levels maximum distance and no further. I have bow hunted since the 80's and archery has come a long way. I have also. I personally would not mind shooting a qualification shoot for hunting with archery. I follow my own self discipline with archery practice and I pass many shots that just don't feel right, or it is just a little out of my max effective range. I call that being a responsible hunter. I will concede, there are many things that can happen before the arrow reaches its mark, and we have to make the best of any situation that we possible can.

On the flip side of this coin: there are several hunters with gun and bow, that are not so prepared. They don't even fire their rifles prior to the hunt because they shot fine last season. They start to shoot a week or so with their bow and so long as they can hit a basketball they assume that is good enough. All the classes and restrictions in the world can't fix poor judgement. I don't have the right to judge, but I do have my opinion. If I can't hit a target the size of a squirrels head with my rifle at a reasonable distance, then I sell the gun and get one I can hit with. If I can't hit a persimmon with three arrows at 20 yards, consistantly with my matthews, then I take the crossbow. True the vitals of a deer broadside are about the size of a pie plate, but if your groups are not tight, the margin for error is much larger. When I shoot right behind a deers shoulder at 20 yards, with my small grouping, there are much better odds that my arrow is going to hit right in a fist sized area. If my groups are larger, then this area is larger.

I feel that a bowhunter education calss and shooting workshop is a good idea, and I'd make time for it, though I have not yet, I do plan to in the future.

·
Super Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
2,385 Posts
I dont see anything wrong with it and i dont see why anyone who could shoot half way decent would if you couldnt hit at twenty yards then you dont need to be out there wounding everything in the woods. Also anybody would be able to pass it as long as they just put a little bit of effort into shooting like they should instead of just pulling the bow out of the closet the evening before season opens

·
Super Moderator
9,447 Posts
To make citizens pass an initial test on how the government works, to make sure they know where the candidates stand on issues, and make sure they're proficient in English, the national language. Yes. I'm all for it.

Too similar to a "make everyone pass a test to own a firearm" to make me feel comfortable about it.
Amen borther! :up: I feel the same way.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Where would it end?

While I agree that a bow hunter should be able to do that, I am afraid it would open up a can of worms. What if you want to shoot a deer at 40 yards? Do you have to pass a 40 yard test as well? Are we going to apply the same test for gun hunters? They wound as many as bow hunters. Would you have the same standard for a shotgun, a 30-30 with iron sites, and a scoped .270? Maybe you should have to pass a test with each. For that matter, you can only hunt with the guns/bows listed on your proficiency permit. Got a new gun, but have not made it out to one of the two quals each year at Mayflower? Too bad, can't hunt with it this year. Are all these far fetched scenarios? Maybe, maybe not.

I would also dare to say that most folks can shoot well enough to hit a deer kill zone at 20 yards. The problem is they use poor judgement in the field and take poor shots. The deer is moving, angled wrong, behind brush, or outside their effective range. How you gonna test for piss poor judgement?

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts

Nope, but I do think people on well fare should have to pass a drug test to get that check. :up:
:up:

·
Administrator
87,242 Posts
While I agree that a bow hunter should be able to do that, I am afraid it would open up a can of worms. What if you want to shoot a deer at 40 yards? Do you have to pass a 40 yard test as well? Are we going to apply the same test for gun hunters? They wound as many as bow hunters. Would you have the same standard for a shotgun, a 30-30 with iron sites, and a scoped .270? Maybe you should have to pass a test with each. For that matter, you can only hunt with the guns/bows listed on your proficiency permit. Got a new gun, but have not made it out to one of the two quals each year at Mayflower? Too bad, can't hunt with it this year. Are all these far fetched scenarios? Maybe, maybe not.

I would also dare to say that most folks can shoot well enough to hit a deer kill zone at 20 yards. The problem is they use poor judgement in the field and take poor shots. The deer is moving, angled wrong, behind brush, or outside their effective range. How you gonna test for piss poor judgement?
GREAT post!!

This seems to come up once or twice a year.

Not only what HFH said, but the other side of where will it end is if the standard is a pie plate at 20 yards this year, and deer are still getting wounded, they might decide to make it 30 yards in a few years. More wounded deer?? How about a 4" circle at 40 yards.

You can't have a bowhunter proficiency test without the bowhunters yelling that the bullet slinging yahoo's need a proficiency test, too. First it's a pie plate at 50 yards. Get an anti gunner overseeing the rules and they decide to have you hit a 4" circle at 200 yards, after running 50 yards to get your heartbeat to the approximate level that it gets to when you see a record class buck. Where does it end??

It looks good to some on the surface, but like anything overseen by a government entity (ie: AGFC), you'll probably not like the end result.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.