Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wouldnt mind seeing some new changes in the state duck hunting wmas. first thing i would like to see some of the large wmas go to a partial area being a draw hunt and the other part stay as it is. this would give some people a chance to get away from the hunting crazies and do duck hunting the way it was meant to be done. i know there are places you can get away from people and still kill ducks but it doesnt take but a few volleys bvefore everyone starts sliupping up on top of you. for example last year a buddy and myself setup with noone near us and had a slow early morning. midway thru the mrning we started to ge ducks to working and kill a few. after the third volley here came the volley runnerds and setup so close that i saw theme untie decoys and throw them out. the guys even came thru our decoys and talked to us. we asked if they would like to hunt with us and they said no thanks.
what are some things others would like to see done?

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what it would take, but something needs to be done to get public land duck hunting back under control. It's gotten ridiculous.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
I liked what was said on another thread about raising the cost of the Duck Stamp or make WMA permits cost something significant. If a permit costs you $100 or so, a lot of fair weathered duck hunters that flock to hot spots for a weekend would end. I mean, really, what's $7.00 or $10.00 to tack on to a liscense and have free reign on every piece of public land in the state.

Or, maybe an IQ test at the boat ramp before you are allowed to put your boat in the water or leave the parking lot.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Im not saying that the way things are right now are perfect but............Im afraid that anything the AGFC tries to do to change it will not be liked by most people out there.

Then all of the threads around here will be about how we wished things were the way they were:rolleyes:

I really think its time for everyone to step back and take a collective breath and enjoy what we have.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I liked what was said on another thread about raising the cost of the Duck Stamp or make WMA permits cost something significant. If a permit costs you $100 or so, a lot of fair weathered duck hunters that flock to hot spots for a weekend would end. I mean, really, what's $7.00 or $10.00 to tack on to a liscense and have free reign on every piece of public land in the state.

Or, maybe an IQ test at the boat ramp before you are allowed to put your boat in the water or leave the parking lot.
I hunt public land pretty much exclusively and I 100% agree with creating a $100 statewide wma fee.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I know it would cost money, but hire more WO's. Re-train the current ones, and have them enforce the rules. They need to be out in the woods in boats right beside us, or hell even better, post up at the boat launch. I know it sounds childish, but it maybe what is needed.

·
Registered
411 Posts

I just got back from duck hunting in TX and they have an additional $48 permit for hunting public land. It doesn't seem to keep anyone there from duck hunting because there was still plenty of boats out there.

On a side note I paid $103 to duck hunt there for 5 days as a non-resident. I had 3 different game wardens talk to me and not a single one of them asked me for my licenses even after I told them I live in AR!! What's the point in buying them?!? :smack:

·
Registered
64 Posts
no changes. leave what we have alone. more rules will just make for more problems. as for the draw.. not no but he'll no!!!!! a draw system will not help any problems.. if you would like to experience the draw system check out raft creek or momo.

1 - 20 of 276 Posts