Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the wife and I hunted hard for 3 days, with the wind and the traffic in the Ouahita's the hunting was tough
Opening morning called in a Jake and a hen the Jake was within 20 steps of the wife but we never could see a Beard!! Saw a hen or two but that was it the first day!
2nd day we had the same wind was still rough called hard about 7:30 am I heard some noise to my right and as I eased around a good gobbler was staring right at me:smack: Again never made a gobble- well he busted us without a shot!
Monday morning again the same no gobbling- we were about to move to another ridge when I heard a hen- so I started working her and she must have been a dominant hen because she came in raising all kinds of cane and I worked it with all I could! I had her fired up for over 30 minutes- but no gobblers anywhere finally I saw this Jake heading in to us and I took him at about 30 yards! I know some folks dont shoot Jakes but its been a couple of years and with my SD trip I maynot get another shot here in Arkansas! I will post pictures later in case anyone wants to see he was a hoss weighed 14lbs,
1/4 in spurs and a 3.75 inch beard!

· Registered
11,690 Posts
Congrats, Buba! Glad you got you a bird! Not quite as glad as I'd have been if Mrs. Buba would have got one but congrats none the less. :thumb:
So, you are gonna have it fried up around 6:00 tomorrow evening aren't you? :biggrin:

· Banned
6,918 Posts
Hey, a good hunt is a good hunt! Jake, Gobbler, whatever! There will come a day, as came for me, that you would never shot another Jake again. But that only comes with age and experience. Jakes are just as tasty as full grown birds! And are fun to kill!!!!!!

The only reason there are guys out here that dont shoot Jake's, is because we have shot our share already!!:thumb:
My congrats to you!

6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congrats, Buba! Glad you got you a bird! Not quite as glad as I'd have been if Mrs. Buba would have got one but congrats none the less. :thumb:
So, you are gonna have it fried up around 6:00 tomorrow evening aren't you? :biggrin:
Arkie- Mrs Buba aint so happy with me- the Jake we saw opening morning had a bigger beard and a bigger bird- I just couldnt see its beard(Which She had already seen) at about 20 steps:smack: She asked me if she could shoot it several times as it wouldnt leave finally after it got about 60 yrds I saw its beard:smack: I couldnt call it back- Man was she happy with me! Despite the wind we hunted 3 morning and had 3 gobblers within range(2 Jakes) so it was a fun few days of hunting despite the butt chewing I am still getting!! I will PM you!

6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey, a good hunt is a good hunt! Jake, Gobbler, whatever! There will come a day, as came for me, that you would never shot another Jake again. But that only comes with age and experience. Jakes are just as tasty as full grown birds! And are fun to kill!!!!!!

The only reason there are guys out here that dont shoot Jake's, is because we have shot our share already!!:thumb:
My congrats to you!
Bruin I have let more walk than I have ever harvested- but its been a tough few years for the wife and I and not knowing if I will get anymore days I took him and to be honest with the wind and conditions(Allot of traffic around the Lake) I was proud to get even a Jake! Cant wait to get that breast in some grease:thumb:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.