Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We should be getting a new one since Sonny Varnels time was up at months end if my memory is right. Anybody hear anything about who the new commissioner is?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Freddie Black is NOT the new Commissioner. He has been a Commissioner for 6 years and is now Chairman of the Commission in his 7th and final year. Brett Morgan is Vice-Chairman and will be Chairman in 08-09

They were supposed to announce today, but I have not heard anything yet. I have heard names, but no nominations yet

·
Banned
6,919 Posts
I cant tell you who it is, but I cant sure as heck tell you what he is!
After 43 years of seeing them come and go I am pretty sure I can describe him.

This should be a close description:

He is a rich S.O.B. who paid a ton of money to the Governors Campaign Fund so he could be appointed Commissioner. He has a huge private lease with a big clubhouse with at least one full time caretaker.

He has NOTHING in common with the average sportsman in Arkansas. And he doesn't give an owls beak about what you and I think. He wants to have a Management Area, or a Boat Ramp, or Lake named after him before he dies. And with all his money, and his new appointment, he will get it.

His votes will always have an underlying personal agenda attached to them.

He knows nothing about Fisheries or Wildlife Management, except for what he reads in his Duck's Unlimited, or Quail Unlimited Magazine, and he only reads that on the toilet at his Hunting Lodge a few times a year.

I dont like him already! :censored:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I hear ya...

I know one current (Dunklin) and one past commissioner (Wood). Both of these guys are quality men. I know George is not so popular on this forum, but I bet very few people on this forum have set down with him one-to-one to discuss their particular views/opinions. That would take too much time and effort.

I'll catch crap for this post, and that is fine, but until any of us were to set in their shoes with the full weight of managing every interested party (including the resource...a novel idea indeed), then I'm hard pressed to criticize. Doesn't mean I agree with everything, but I have found the two guys I know to be very open to discussion/meeting when done respectfully. And I'm just a common fella too.

I agree that typiclly these appointments come because of some large donation/contribution to the appointers campaign...welcome to politics. If you don't like it now, just wait until Beebe gets the comission pulled completely under the legislature, then you'll love it. Secondly, I don't know too many guys on here (or on the WMAs during the season) for that matter than have any experience running a $30,000,000 organization. These guys that give millions of dollars a year to AGFC, know a whole lot more about it than I do, so it could be that they have the best experience on managing the money side. Now, I know that doesn't mean they have the best experience in managing the resource side, and that is the rub for most of us. So...what do you do?

I'll say that my visits with Dunklin give me confidence in his suggested resource management strategies and he has brought a bit of common sense and energy already to some of the "problems" that previous AGFC commissioners couldn't solve.

I'd say it is a big responsibility, and very few of us would likely want it if we really knew everything that was involved. Doesn't mean we have to like it, but it does mean we can take a interest in offering better solutions if we think we have them. I can't speak for the other active commissioners, but my input, comments, and questions have been greeted respectfully and treated thoroughly.

Did meet Freddie Black too a few years ago at a ceremony and he seemed like an ok guy.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Wasting your time Citybuck. Don't you know guys like Bruin are smarter than anyone who has ever been appointed to the Commission? Don't you know that only the "common man" or the "poor folks" are the only ones who know anything about management or habitat. You see all those "rich" Commissioners got that way because they were luckey. Take Sheffield for example. His success must have come from stupidity and happenstance. Lord knows it didn't come from detication, education, or hard work 'cause that would make too much sense wouldn't it. According to Bruin, they're all "rich S.O.B.'s" and more or less idiots. Maybe I'm the minority, but I just don't see a lot of morons who end up being successful. But then again, I'm not as sharp as Bruin either. :up:

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
If you have to "buy " your way into the commissioners job like most have and will continue to do well that just seems to right to be wrong doesn't it:rolleyes:

Examble late may/early june one year (about ten or so years ago ) gov. hucklebee gets a brand new Ranger Bass boat the end of june guess who gets appointed to the commission.....Mr Woods:head:

#2 late may a few years ago same person gets another brand new Bass Cat bass boat and again who gets appointed to the commission....owner of said boat company

As many have said and will continue to say ifit walks like a duck , quacks like a duck wll it must be a duck

then you or ol Hambone just may be the next one in line and we just haven't figured that out yet.

Also when we lost Mike we lost the best person to take that job in a long ,long time

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.