Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of changes throwed on the King's round table up at G&F for the Nobel's to see what they will allow us phesants to have,

No more Flood Zones on Private Land, water swatting em now deamed to be OK on private lands but public land hunter's have to shoot em dry or don't get to swat them at all,

And if does happen to stay dry enough & you do get to keep swatting them on public lands, No more Dink killing on public lands, No more APR's to worry about for WMA's, now you will have this, Delta region WMA's 15 inch inside spread min. plus at leasy one 18 inch long beam, other WMA's outside the Delta, 12 inch inside spread min. plus a 15 inch beam!!!

· Select Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winne
5,311 Posts
Until Arkansas deer numbers start to decline....THEY DONT CARE! We are a top 5 state for automotive deer accidents.....Our hunting seasons start with lobbyist in Washington!
HUGE rifle season....6 deer limits....urban hunts everywhere......Why do you think this is going on??

GF

· Registered
5,126 Posts
Wow, I used to hunt on black river in northeast AR. Inside the flood levees along the river on private ground owned by Black Lumber Co. So with this new proposal it wouldn't close for that land during massive flooding??? Poor deer! Every year or two the river gets really high and they are bottled up in very large numbers that are often visible from some surrounding highway. Now I know deer can swim and wade water... but it just doesn't seem like fair chase to me. I don't like over-regulating as much as the next guy but some regs are worth having for the sake of decency.

Just my $0.02 and no one is required to agree:wink:

· Registered
40,240 Posts
Until Arkansas deer numbers start to decline....THEY DONT CARE! We are a top 5 state for automotive deer accidents.....Our hunting seasons start with lobbyist in Washington!
HUGE rifle season....6 deer limits....urban hunts everywhere......Why do you think this is going on??

GF
:head: Let me guess.......:idea: Insurance lobbyists?:rolleyes: NAWWW.. That's too crazy. Prolly just trying to balance the b/d ratio to give us hunters better hunting. Yeah, that's it! It's really for our own good! The hunting will get better with massive herd reductions!

· Registered
40,240 Posts
Wow, I used to hunt on black river in northeast AR. Inside the flood levees along the river on private ground owned by Black Lumber Co. So with this new proposal it wouldn't close for that land during massive flooding??? Poor deer! Every year or two the river gets really high and they are bottled up in very large numbers that are often visible from some surrounding highway. Now I know deer can swim and wade water... but it just doesn't seem like fair chase to me. I don't like over-regulating as much as the next guy but some regs are worth having for the sake of decency.

Just my $0.02 and no one is required to agree:wink:
But that's the best way to reduce the herd numbers!

· Registered
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:head: Let me guess.......:idea: Insurance lobbyists?:rolleyes: NAWWW.. That's too crazy. Prolly just trying to balance the b/d ratio to give us hunters better hunting. Yeah, that's it! It's really for our own good! The hunting will get better with massive herd reductions!
T,you right, doing it for our own good, they just trying to get us just like the other states that have all that good hunting, just taking the fast track agenda, not see the article, David Goad, George Dunklin & Rick Watkins, all made comments about no other states have such reg's, so why should we!

· Registered
5,782 Posts
tmeredith:1442036 said:

GF

Better throw the timber company lobby in there too. Big buck rules on public will eventually fall over to private. Lease prices will continue to jump more than now

· Registered
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Better throw the timber company lobby in there too. Big buck rules on public will eventually fall over to private. Lease prices will continue to jump more than now
Yea, I was reading over on the G&F's facebook a bit ago & a lady posted we should fire all the Commissioneer & take politics out of the deal, that we needed to let the biologist run the show, funny thought came to my mind about something that happen back years ago when we had that Deer Advisory deal, the biologist were running that show, not the G&F biologist, it was 2 biologist from Anderson-Tully that you would have thought were in charge!!!!! And the sad part of it, it appears now by what is taking place, they are!!!!

· Super Moderator
7,071 Posts
Spread regs will be a big mess. The last two bucks I killed on public land would not meet a 12" spread. This year the buck was 4.5 age with 11.5" spread and last year 3.5 age 10.75" spread. I will go on record now they will make me a poacher. If I am hunting public land and I have the chance to kill a 3.5 year old or older deer. I will just have to break the law. I think these antler restrictions have hurt antler size for mature bucks. For the last 5 years I have only killed a buck if they were 3.5 or older bucks. Only one of them went just over 100". I think people are killing most of the good 2.5 year old bucks. The 2.5 year old bucks I have let walk have a lot more antler "s than the 3.5 and 4.5 bucks I have killed.

5,311 Posts
Spread regs will be a big mess. The last two bucks I killed on public land would not meet a 12" spread. This year the buck was 4.5 age with 11.5" spread and last year 3.5 age 10.75" spread. I will go on record now they will make me a poacher. If I am hunting public land and I have the chance to kill a 3.5 year old or older deer. I will just have to break the law. I think these antler restrictions have hurt antler size for mature bucks. For the last 5 years I have only killed a buck if they were 3.5 or older bucks. Only one of them went just over 100". I think people are killing most of the good 2.5 year old bucks. The 2.5 year old bucks I have let walk have a lot more antler "s than the 3.5 and 4.5 bucks I have killed.
NO NO NO the 3 pt rule promotes monster genetics :smack:

GF

· Registered
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not so by the Powers that be per Quotes from the article in todays paper about why this is being done:

Baxter (G&F Deer Biologist) said, "Those dimensions would protect all yearling bucks and a sizeable portion of 2 1/2 year old bucks."
"We are trying to get the buck to doe ratio closer togather and we want to back off of the buck harvest" Baxter said. "Every three and a half year old buck will be eligible for harvest & it increases buck carryover."

· Registered
40,240 Posts
I'll say I'm for anything that will save some bucks for next year, but they could achieve the same goal of backing off the buck harvest by shortening the gun season and going to a 1 buck firearm limit. They could even drop all apr's after a couple years.

· Registered
23,185 Posts
1 buck any buck

That will change everything - no need for points or width or any of that non-sense

The G&F has a clear mission - police and regulate public lands, allow the leases and timber companies to kill anything and everything that they want with longer seasons, bag limits and open flood rules etc

AG&F is money corrupted plain and simple

5,311 Posts
1 buck any buck

That will change everything - no need for points or width or any of that non-sense

The G&F has a clear mission - police and regulate public lands, allow the leases and timber companies to kill anything and everything that they want with longer seasons, bag limits and open flood rules etc

AG&F is money corrupted plain and simple
No surely Not!!! They have nothing but the best interest of the sportsman of Arkansas!!!:whistle:

GF

· Registered
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Official list of propsals for the 2012-13 hunting seasons have been released, here they are straight off the G&F Facebook:

Public Meeting topics for the 2012-13 Hunting Season
1. Eliminate flood prone zones
The concept of developing Flood Prone Zones (FPZs) originated in the 1980’s. The strategy was to increase protection of a growing deer herd during times of high water. These units have served their purpose, but are no longer needed with today’s management strategy of herd stabilization/reduction, and increased private land management by landowners. The majority of these FPZs are located in eastern Arkansas where bag limits and season dates have increased over the last 30 years in response to a growing deer herd.
2. Remove white-tailed deer from the approved list of pets
Current regulations allow landowners to possess up to six hand-captured white-tailed deer. Allowing the possession of wild deer offers up a list of problems, including increased risk of disease, risk of injury to owners, and in some cases, owners becoming overwhelmed and releasing tame deer into the wild.
3. Elk hunt applicants must have a current big game hunting license before applying for an elk permit.
Hunting elk in Arkansas is a unique opportunity for the sportsmen of Arkansas. However, the current application procedure encourages applications from individuals that do not have a history of hunting Arkansas game. As a result, some of the permit holders have not shown for the hunt, have come unprepared, and resultantly have hindered elk management efforts.
4. For the 2012 elk season, move the December hunt to October.
Elk calves are old enough to be weaned by mid-October so moving the season to this time frame will allow calves to reach a sufficient weaning age. By December, which has typically been our second hunt, the bugling opportunities are gone for hunters because the rut is over by then. Additionally, elk herds are more widely dispersed in October which improves the likelihood of harvest on private lands.
5. For the 2013 elk season, conduct a single hunt occuring in late October
In the past we have had two elk hunts, one in September and one in December. The reason for having the September hunt was to allow hunters opportunity for a bugling season bull hunt. We never allowed antlerless elk to be harvested during this season because of the possibility of having orphaned calves. Elk calves are old enough to be weaned by mid-October so moving the season to this time frame will allow calves to reach a sufficient weaning age. By December, which has typically been our second hunt, the bugling opportunities are gone for hunters because the rut is over by then. If we move to this proposed season structure it will allow all elk hunters in AR to enjoy a bugling season hunt.
6. Move the archery opener to the 4th Saturday in September
Several municipalities conduct urban deer hunts during the month of September. Pushing the archery season back to the 4th Saturday in September will reduce the competition between the hunts and lend more success to the urban hunts by increased participation.
7. Increase the lease land permit fee from $20 to $40
The annual lease payments have steadily increased since the creation of the leased lands program. It is recommended that we increase the cost of purchasing a lease land permit in order to help cover the cost of leasing land and locations for sportsmen to hunt.
8. Push Turkey season back one week and reduce the youth hunt to one day
After review of spring harvest, brood survey and gobbling chronology data, it is recommended that we continue a conservative season structure and set a later opening date for spring turkey season. The conservative season structure and ‘no jake harvest’ help increase gobbler carryover and stabilize recent declines in turkey harvest. A later conservative season will result in more hens being bred and heading to the nest when season opens. This is based on several datasets we have collected in previous years. A one day youth season may reduce the annual harvest of gobblers by approximately 5%.
9. Change the doe only hunt to an antlerless hunt and move it to an earlier date (Oct. 13-17, 2012 -- Saturday through Wednesday)
Currently, the early modern gun doe-only season allows the take of does only. Typically, 15-20% of antlerless deer harvested are button bucks. During the 2011-12 season’s doe-only hunt 5519 does were checked in open zones while only 137 button bucks were checked (2.5% of the doe harvest). Hunters are taking button bucks during the doe-only seasons. Most likely they are checking these as does or are not checking them at all. Allowing the harvest of button bucks would provide the commission with a more accurate dataset. Hunters would be required to tag and check button bucks as bucks.
10. Increase the squirrel bag and possession limit from 8 to 12 and 36 to 48 respectively
Because squirrel populations are boom or bust, our sportsmen should have the opportunity to take full advantage of boom years for squirrel. Hunters will have the ability to harvest a limit of 12 squirrels on boom years. Bust years will self-regulate by there being less squirrels to harvest, creating a lower harvest per hunter and a decrease in effort by hunters. This increase in bag limit will have no impact on the squirrel population in Arkansas. The change in possession limit is only an adjustment based on the bag limit increase to keep the possession limit at four times the bag limit.
11. During youth hunts, mentors cannot carry a weapon
In order to ensure a positive experience for young hunters with the intention of recruiting more youth into the sport, mentors will not be allowed to carry weapons during youth hunts. This puts all of the focus and effort of the hunt on the youth.
12. Antler Restrictions on Wildlife Management Areas and Deer Zones
A variety of antler restrictions have been implemented in WMAs and Deer Zones across Arkansas to meet biological objectives. After examining harvest data from multiple seasons, modifications to some antler restrictions on certain WMAs and Deer Zones will be proposed.

· Registered
40,240 Posts
Official list of propsals for the 2012-13 hunting seasons have been released, here they are straight off the G&F Facebook:

Public Meeting topics for the 2012-13 Hunting Season
1These units have served their purpose, but are no longer needed with today’s management strategy of herd stabilization/reduction
There it is straight from the horses mouth. Reckon how much they're planning on reducing the herd?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.