Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has killed an elk with a bow? Man I think that would be awesome! If you have let's see some pics and hear some stories.

·
Member On Double Secret Probation
29,778 Posts
Not me but it's on my list!!!!

·
Registered
14,652 Posts
Been elk hunting twice with bow and closes I got was a group of cows that came within 40yd of me. Didn't have a cow tag was awesome tho. I did how ever stick a mule deer once before.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
i have only got to go elk hunting once but killed a big 4X4 first evening of the hunt:biggrin: had a great time . tony

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have killed 3 elk in 4 trips to Colorado elk hunting. All were over the counter tags and do it yourself hunts. I failed to get an elk on one trip and I went with a bunch of guys that were muzzleloading then and it wasn't that great of a hunt. I killed cows the first 2 hunts and a 4x4 last time. I wont kill a cow now unless its the last couple of days of the hunt. The meat is too good not to kill one if the chance arises.

·
Registered
25,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have killed 3 elk in 4 trips to Colorado elk hunting. All were over the counter tags and do it yourself hunts. I failed to get an elk on one trip and I went with a bunch of guys that were muzzleloading then and it wasn't that great of a hunt. I killed cows the first 2 hunts and a 4x4 last time. I wont kill a cow now unless its the last couple of days of the hunt. The meat is too good not to kill one if the chance arises.
Got any pics?

·
Registered
14,084 Posts
I havent killed one with a bow, but I did bow hunt a little in WY. There you can bow hunt and gun hunt on the same tag. It was essentially a gun hunt, but I got there about 3 days early and bow hunted. I got on a bugling bull the first day. It was awesome. Just like going to set up on a turkey. Got down in there with him, and there were some other hunters from our group on him, and they had just busted him. I found some good fresh sign and thick swamps down in that area latter that day, so the next day I went back in there. I didnt hear any bugling that day, so I just worked through the area blind-calling. It was an exciting hunt nonetheless.

I've been on gun hunts 3 times now, and I'd really like to do a bow hunt. It would be tough, the wind in those mountains can be so unpredictable, but I would really like to work some more bugling bulls. This past year in CO (2nd season) I heard one bugle, and I'm 99% certain it was from a hunter.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Been with a bow four times - Killed a big spike first time I ever walked up a mountain. That was back in the day in the 90's shot him at about 45 yards - arrow looked like a rainbow hit him through one lung , tracked him forever and recovered him. Had 3 cows and a 5X5 within 35 yards while I was hunting Muley's after killed the spike. Went back two years later and bugled in a 6X6 at 10 steps - clipped a stick and just cut hair off of him - was shaking so bad glad to have gotten a shot off. Third time hired outfitter and went out to Oregon - saw a few but wasnt happy with the amount of game we saw, for what we payed but the country was beautiful and the food and company were great. Had a kid that served as a guide/ wrangler that was 6 foot 4 and shot a 90 lb pull bow - he was toughest guy I ever have seen - saw him shoot a beer can at 100 yards with that set up. Fourth time - took wife - comfortable camp but area had been hunted hard saw a couple cows and hunted an ol bull pretty hard but never laid eyes on him. If you like to bow hunt you should go out west and try it - they are alot easier to hunt than a white tail - IF you can fine em -

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
I've had some success ...

My first elk back in ... gawd 1993 maybe? 1992 ?

my best bull .... 1996 or 1997

I bugled this one in for my Dad the next day after killing the above bull

I've killed a couple others i don't have pictures of, bow and muzzleloader ........ I missed a huge 6x6 one year, I missed a large 6x6 with my longbow one year :(

After vertigo in 2009, knee surgery in 2010, ACL surgery in 2011 I'm going to try and solo backpack hunt in 2012 Colorado with my recurve and try to kill a bull

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
I took off 3 months in the fall of that year. I was single and could do it ;)

I hunted South Dakota antelope, then to Colorado mule deer hunting. I picked a wilderness area, packed a pack and in I went. I got caught at dark, climbing the side of a mtn, pouring rain and a 50 degree slope and finally found a 4' x 8' level spot I tossed my dink tent up and spent a lonely, cold, miserable night best I remember. Not much sleep to be had but next morning I went another few hundred yards and topped out on a flat and hunted all day, actually shot at and missed a big muley doe (and glad I did!) But what I found was enormous amounts of elk sign. I walked off the mtn that night, and muley hunted near the roads, camping out of my truck for nights.

When I got back to Arkansas my buddy was enamored with my tales of elk sign and said lets go and I said ok, so next day I drove back to Colorado. Heck of a hunt - the hunt I missed my giant 6x6, my buddy got lost for 36 hours, I remember bugling in bulls everyday but so many things can go wrong if you don't know what you're doing !

On the way home my buddy asks what I'm doing the next week and well, I'm hunting right? Because I took the time off and he says go back, you got a tag, it will only cost you the gas so that's what I did. I turned around and drove BACK to Colorado a 3rd time.

I think I hunted 3 nights and the third evening I bugled to this bull, he answer, I was more savvy now that I had 2 1/2 weeks under my belt and I missed him at 7 yards thanks to branches. As he ran I bugled, he stopped and my second arrow hit him through the neck/jugular and he bled out in short order.

A very shortened version of my first elk ....... I think I probably earned it

·
Registered
19,924 Posts
Here is my bow kill elk. It was a blast, I just had ACL surgery and my knee was messed up, but I had already planned the hunt, and had to go. I think it was like 6 weeks after surgery and I had to be real careful, and thats hard to do climbing in the rockies. One little twist and I could have blown all the work done on it. I hunted public land, and had a real good 270 inch elk the first day, but he turned on me and didn't get a shot, the second day, nothing in the morning, and then I had 5 elk in the even, and I had made my mind up, I wasn't going to be picking, and the first one that gave me a shot I took. Then they all ran off and two came back, and I was wishing I had held up a little, because the two that came back, I stood 40 yards from while one racked a tree for 15 minutes, and he was way bigger than this one. I never saw how big any of the others where until after the shot and they came back.

·
Registered
75 Posts
first one

Shot this bull in 1996 in Pagosa Springs Colorado hunted 26 days straight before i got a chance at this bull. shot him with a PSE mach 6 at 65 yards one of the best times i have ever had in the woods.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
2011 Sept. Colorado first time to Bowhunt emm.killed
Several with gun. Went with a buddy who guides for outfitter knows country very well and just plain knows Elk. It was an awesome experience . Killed bull after 4 days of hunting . Bulls were not vocal but did come in to calling. 5x5 post pic later

·
Registered
25,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Man those are some great Bulls! Thanks for posting stories and pics. Hopefully one day I will have a chance to go on a Elk hunt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts