Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I was out listening a couple weeks ago and had a close owl encounter. Probably 10 minutes before daylight I heard a bird fly right over my head and land in a tree directly in front of me. I got my flashlight and it was an owl. It sat there till right at daylight and flew over me again but this time it made a swooping circle right above me and then back to the same tree. He sat there again for a minute of two and flew off. It was cool but it took me forever to figure out what it was doing. All I could think of was that the back four panels of the hat I was wearing was white and maybe it thought I was a magnum rabbit or something. I’m just glad he didn’t try and snatch my head off!!

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
55,672 Posts
I was out listening a couple weeks ago and had a close owl encounter. Probably 10 minutes before daylight I heard a bird fly right over my head and land in a tree directly in front of me. I got my flashlight and it was an owl. It sat there till right at daylight and flew over me again but this time it made a swooping circle right above me and then back to the same tree. He sat there again for a minute of two and flew off. It was cool but it took me forever to figure out what it was doing. All I could think of was that the back four panels of the hat I was wearing was white and maybe it thought I was a magnum rabbit or something. I’m just glad he didn’t try and snatch my head off!!
I used to use the owl call before daylight to locate gobblers, then one day an owl flew right up in my face, and ricocheted off the tree I was leaning on, them big talons were about a foot from my face when he changed direction! I put the owl hooter away and never used it again!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I used to use the owl call before daylight to locate gobblers, then one day an owl flew right up in my face, and ricocheted off the tree I was leaning on, them big talons were about a foot from my face when he changed direction! I put the owl hooter away and never used it again!
it was weird since I was standing leaned up against the truck! I’ve used the hooter to shock one a lot and I’ve never had an owl come to it, they’ll answer it. I’ve had more responses from owls when I do it with my voice than the call.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
55,672 Posts
it was weird since I was standing leaned up against the truck! I’ve used the hooter to shock one a lot and I’ve never had an owl come to it, they’ll answer it. I’ve had more responses from owls when I do it with my voice than the call.
I used to use my voice as well, until my vocal cords became atrophied...they told me I could have them injected with some kind of latex but I declined! I hate being put to sleep! I still have my owl call even though I quit T-hunting.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I used to use my voice as well, until my vocal cords became atrophied...they told me I could have them injected with some kind of latex but I declined! I hate being put to sleep! I still have my owl call even though I quit T-hunting.
Yeah I’m not to keen on being put under either. I don’t turkey hunt anymore either.It just seems like our population is low and we’ve got more than enough hunters for our small lease. To me it’s like back when we ran beagles. I get a kick out of just listening.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts