Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21,154 Posts
Someone asked if anyone was seeing ducks. I replied with what I am seeing and provided some reference to what I was seeing. I made no reference to how other folks were doing in SW AR. I plant for ducks, I pump water for ducks, I live where I can see duck movements out my back window. I hunt public and I hunt private and I have hunted here for 42 years so I have a pretty good feel for the relevance of the information I have provided.

I have been chastised on this forum in the past for providing duck numbers when they were good. Duck hunters are a strange lot - they dont want you mentioning where you found concentrations and now they dont like it when you tell the truth - when asked - about lack of ducks. ;)
You hit the nail!!! But you know what? I could care less if I ever kill another duck, I’ll go and it’s fun but honestly it’s more about the conversation in the blind or the timber than killing. Some act like killing ducks is some act of greatness! It’s a dang duck!!! It’s like some big secret knowing where they are. Anyone wants to know where they are just ask me. My house is literally in the flyway, then I hunt next to 3 major WMA’s. I do it with deer ducks or anything. Be a Blessing to others if possible. So keep on sharing Cat!

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I'm with Firehog killing a ducks or lack of was a bonus. I know guys that started going out the sunday before opening day getting a hole and camping out in the pontoon the whole week. Some were actually paying people to do it which is ridiculous glad I quit in 09.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
You hit the nail!!! But you know what? I could care less if I ever kill another duck, I’ll go and it’s fun but honestly it’s more about the conversation in the blind or the timber than killing. Some act like killing ducks is some act of greatness! It’s a dang duck!!! It’s like some big secret knowing where they are. Anyone wants to know where they are just ask me. My house is literally in the flyway, then I hunt next to 3 major WMA’s. I do it with deer ducks or anything. Be a Blessing to others if possible. So keep on sharing Cat!
Alright where are they at? I was putting my boat in the water to go crappie fishing one time and 2 older men was taking their boat out and I hit them with the “wellll yall wear em out today” and he surprised the heck out of me when he said shoot yea son you wanna see them? So I looked and they had a cooler full. That man told me how deep they were and what color and everything. I was thinking you know if everybody was like these guys it would make everything way more fun

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Some good advice there. We have become a hunting forum where we dont show pictures, discuss locations, reference numbers of game - good or bad. It is a reflection of the competitive nature of the sport and the declining resources available. I have been guilty myself. Every so often, a complete stranger offers up some straight forward information to me, and instead of thinking this sure is great, my initial reaction is what do they want from me. But, I then find most of the folks that offer that type of information to me, now, are just good folks wanting nothing in return. Refreshing in today’s society:)
You’re welcome….

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
That’s why I always stick to these answers depending on time of year.
I didn’t see any ducks.
I saw one spike.
I caught one drum.
Aint heard a turkey.
I’m just curious about across the State . It just amazes me how the places that usually have ducks are no ducks and there’s water . Having a lot of ducks here is crucial to our economy .

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I have heard more shooting in the last week than I have in several years.
Two reasons for that. 1,the only water in this area is pumped water. We were flooded by the 1st of Nov. 2. Canada and the Dakotas took a hard freeze around the first of Nov. I don't know how long it will last,but it has been unreal at the number of ducks in the area. There is a duck club that joins my farm called Mallard Pond. It has a 170 acre rest area on. It has been holding 50,000 ducks on since the first week of Nov. Another farm that's about half timber and half ag,rice, corn and beans joins Mallard Pond on the south. The Wolf farm is the name of it. You can Google it,several videos on it. It gets hunted maybe one day a week. Good habitat,regulated hunting pressure and early flooding is the key to holding ducks.

·
Registered
The Sword of the Spirit
2,094 Posts
I have heard more shooting in the last week than I have in several years.
Two reasons for that. 1,the only water in this area is pumped water. We were flooded by the 1st of Nov. 2. Canada and the Dakotas took a hard freeze around the first of Nov. I don't know how long it will last,but it has been unreal at the number of ducks in the area. There is a duck club that joins my farm called Mallard Pond. It has a 170 acre rest area on. It has been holding 50,000 ducks on since the first week of Nov. Another farm that's about half timber and half ag,rice, corn and beans joins Mallard Pond on the south. The Wolf farm is the name of it. You can Google it,several videos on it. It gets hunted maybe one day a week. Good habitat,regulated hunting pressure and early flooding is the key to holding ducks.
If you build it, they will come. On a dry year, they will really come.

·
Registered
The Sword of the Spirit
2,094 Posts
I walk 4-5 miles a day 5 to 6 days a week. Based on my routine, not a wild guess, i estimate I walked 6 miles in the woods today. Saw a lot of small acorns on the ground and walked down some sloughs and creeks I like to hunt—— well what can be sloughs and creeks with enough water. The water situation is double tough. Everyone I know with water is killing Ducks. Ran up on a deer but couldn’t put horns on it. Bumped into two squirrels and a six group of Wood Ducks also. The walking regimen has made a big difference. The Lab has a little fat on her but I have kept her busy this year. She was not winded. Flooded Timber is all I know and it makes a world of difference to know the scope of the woods you hunt before water hits it. I believe it explains why Ducks use certain areas and don’t use others.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
I heard and saw several large groups of mallards over Greene county this am from my lock on deer stand. I’m on the ridge so they aren’t working my area but it was kinda nice to at least hear and see a few birds. I don’t even hunt ducks anymore.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts