Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t seen it this bad in years ! So I’m curious of how many are seeing ducks ? I’m in Central and East Arkansas a lot and I’ve not seen a whole lot , but not as many as normal .

·
Premium Member
30,662 Posts
It is the worst I have seen. I could easily see and kill more deer in a morning of hunting than ducks. Been one time and saw six wood ducks - which dont count because I could see six wood ducks on fourth of july. I have scouted a couple times have have not seen a two man limit of ducks added together, yet.

Ten years ago, we would hunt everyday first split and kill a two to four man limit everyday - and we wouldnt shoot wood ducks or spooners. I am talking six duck limits. And yes, there is water.

·
Registered
7,820 Posts
I’ve hunted my place one time and we saw 2-300 ducks and got 50 or so in the hole

guys at my club in Humphrey area killed 24 on the opener - typical field hunt mix bag. And then it fell off quickly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It is the worst I have seen. I could easily see and kill more deer in a morning of hunting than ducks. Been one time and saw six wood ducks - which dont count because I could see six wood ducks on fourth of july. I have scouted a couple times have have not seen a two man limit of ducks added together, yet.

Ten years ago, we would hunt everyday first split and kill a two to four man limit everyday - and we wouldnt shoot wood ducks or spooners. I am talking six duck limits. And yes, there is water.
Good to see that swamp is still the CEO of the beat a dead horse duck club. If I get to the point in my day where I feel like I’m in too good of a mood, I’ll just re-read a swampcat waterfowl report . After years of reports, I’d rather duck hunt in the Sahara desert than anywhere remotely close to sw Arkansas.

·
Premium Member
30,662 Posts
Good to see that swamp is still the CEO of the beat a dead horse duck club. If I get to the point in my day where I feel like I’m in too good of a mood, I’ll just re-read a swampcat waterfowl report . After years of reports, I’d rather duck hunt in the Sahara desert than anywhere remotely close to sw Arkansas.
Someone asked if anyone was seeing ducks. I replied with what I am seeing and provided some reference to what I was seeing. I made no reference to how other folks were doing in SW AR. I plant for ducks, I pump water for ducks, I live where I can see duck movements out my back window. I hunt public and I hunt private and I have hunted here for 42 years so I have a pretty good feel for the relevance of the information I have provided.

I have been chastised on this forum in the past for providing duck numbers when they were good. Duck hunters are a strange lot - they dont want you mentioning where you found concentrations and now they dont like it when you tell the truth - when asked - about lack of ducks. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Someone asked if anyone was seeing ducks. I replied with what I am seeing and provided some reference to what I was seeing. I made no reference to how other folks were doing in SW AR. I plant for ducks, I pump water for ducks, I live where I can see duck movements out my back window. I hunt public and I hunt private and I have hunted here for 42 years so I have a pretty good feel for the relevance of the information I have provided.

I have been chastised on this forum in the past for providing duck numbers when they were good. Duck hunters are a strange lot - they dont want you mentioning where you found concentrations and now they dont like it when you tell the truth - when asked - about lack of ducks. ;)
All in fun cat…..I certainly appreciate your honesty when reporting about ducks, water and the way it used to be.

·
Premium Member
30,662 Posts
That’s why I always stick to these answers depending on time of year.
I didn’t see any ducks.
I saw one spike.
I caught one drum.
Aint heard a turkey.
Some good advice there. We have become a hunting forum where we dont show pictures, discuss locations, reference numbers of game - good or bad. It is a reflection of the competitive nature of the sport and the declining resources available. I have been guilty myself. Every so often, a complete stranger offers up some straight forward information to me, and instead of thinking this sure is great, my initial reaction is what do they want from me. But, I then find most of the folks that offer that type of information to me, now, are just good folks wanting nothing in return. Refreshing in today’s society:)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts