Whitening feathers on a duck mount?

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by NaturalStateNative, Nov 27, 2012.

1. NaturalStateNative

NaturalStateNative Well-Known Member

Is there any way to whiten or bleach the feathers on a duck to make them white again? I have a double pintail mount that I have hated since I had it done because when I went to pick it up one of the pintails breasts that should be bright white is like a dirty rust color. I have no idea why, it wasn't that way when I droppped it off and the taxidermist couldn't explain it either. What I was really ticked about is that the ugly one has his belly facing out while the one with the white breast is facing the wall...
    Anyway, if there's a way to make it look right I would be willing to try it. Right now the mount is in the garage where nobody can see it, so if I mess it up it's not that big of a deal.

2. jdrake19

jdrake19 Well-Known Member

Airbrush with white paint. Or if it were me I'd mask it and Krylon it! lol

3. Delbert

Delbert Well-Known Member

IS IT Sticky? if so it is grease and will need to be washed.

If its just a light rust on the breast use WINKS iron remover. Wally world may have it. It works great on rust stains in white t shirts.

DONT PAINT! It should have been whitened when it was mounted.

4. NaturalStateNative

NaturalStateNative Well-Known Member

It was rusty colored when I went to pick it up. He knew I wasn't happy with it besides the fact that he didn't mount it even remotely close to the position I asked for bc it was supposed to go beside another pintail on a wall as one group. I was spending $1000 on duck mounts and he cut down to $800 so I can't complain too much

5. brwn3006

brwn3006 Well-Known Member

If you can find some whinks it will take care of it. It's an acid type cleaner used to remove iron stain. Wear rubber gloves apply some to a rag and wipe the feathers down going with the feather flow. Take your time and it will work.

6. ARTom81

ARTom81 Well-Known Member

Yeah, if it's a stain, winks will work, I've used it on rust stains on all sorts of stuff. If it's dirt, might be another ordeal, but maybe it's just an iron type stain from being out in the fields? I know sometimes we shoot snow geese that are white, other times in fields they are dingy yellowish orange.