Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
High water has taken more this year than the bugs. The knats have been pretty bad but I fear high water has taken a lot. I have seen water this year that I have not ever seen. Somewhere on this site I posted some pics from Wild Goose that I took this spring.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The reports from the Refuge are not good. Alot of deer died during the recent flooding. I have heard reports of people finding carcasses hanging in trees, piles of carcasses floating in sloughs and log jams. I haven't had an opportunity to go down so far this year, but I'm seriously looking at hunting some place else this year. We'll see.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
The reports from the Refuge are not good. Alot of deer died during the recent flooding. I have heard reports of people finding carcasses hanging in trees, piles of carcasses floating in sloughs and log jams. I haven't had an opportunity to go down so far this year, but I'm seriously looking at hunting some place else this year. We'll see.

I heard the same thing but I hunt close enough to some farm fields it may not be to much of a problem I hope.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
I'm just wondering about the flooding this year.
I am going to try to get down there within the next couple of weeks just to see. But my mind is already made up I will not take any does took one last year the first time in eleven years. Like it has been said a lot of deer was killed because of the flood waters. If I see the biologist down there I will try to corner him and find out for sure.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
I haven't hunted WR since back in the late 80's, but I saw some monster deer down there back then (never killed one of 'em, though). Also saw lots of bear tracks, never a bear though.
You needed to be with me the last five years wether smoke pole hunt or modern weapons there seems to be one close everytime. Walked up one day and before I realized it I was thirty yards from a mother and her cub. Needless to say I left or should I say left very very quitely. Had one during smoke pole season come right in front of the stand. They are a pretty animal out in the wild if you are watching from a distance. If I am lucky to run across some more this year the wife demanded I get some picture's. Last year the nearest one I saw was about 500 hunderd yards down river and not close enough for a decient picture.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
refuge

I though it might be bad but I hope it ain't that bad.In the past years when the water gets up it will run the big boys out of the bottoms and on our land I was hoping that would happen this year.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I live right on the edge of the WRNWR near St. Charles. I've not seen the deer that I usually see, nor the tracks over here behind the house. The water is just now back in the banks there around St. Charles, so a lot of the browse has been under water most of the summer. I know it didn't get em all, cause I've seen a couple of itty bitty ones following their mama's & quite a few baby tracks in the field. I suppose season will tell the tale, huh?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.