Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Howa 1500 in .243, I know there made in Japan and that's a draw back being we need to buy American made and everything. I'm also aware Howa produces the Weatherby Vanguard action. It came with a Nikko Sterling 3-9x40 scope which I know nothing about but it seems fairly clear and clean and it and the rifle produced a just over a 1" group @ 100 yards right out of the box shooting 55gr Winchester Supreme BT's from a prone position on the cold wet ground trying to defeat the effects of a fairly stiff cross wind.

Does anybody have any personal experiences with these rifles.

·
Registered
225 Posts
possum, congrates on the howa 1500 purchase. I dont know much about howa but i do about the vanguard far as the action is great i have one chambered in 243 and my wife shoots it and she loves it.
map

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a Vanguard in 300 Win. Mag that shoots about 0.38" five shot groups. The action is based on the Sako L461 action.

The trigger group has a creep and trigger weight adjustment via two set screws. To get a further reduction in creep and trigger weight requires a small amount of work on the trigger itself.

One nice feature of these guns in that they have a mag well slightly longer than standard. This allows the hand loader more freedom with OAL of the cartridges.

A recent upgrade gives a three position safety allowing unloading of the gun with the safety on.

The stainless that the barrels are made of is 410, which is extremely hard to ensure a long life.

I also recommend breaking in the barrel for the best accuracy.

Also there is no difference between the Howa and Weatherby Vanguard actions.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The trigger group has a creep and trigger weight adjustment via two set screws. To get a further reduction in creep and trigger weight requires a small amount of work on the trigger itself.
Keep talkin....:cool:

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll get ya some tomorrow. The flash in the house is to much and the pics look like :censored: without it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Have a Vanguard and a 1500. Like both. Currently dropping hints at the wife that a ss Howa 25-06 action is needed to fill an extra stock I have.

I'm runnin' 50/50 on the triggers. The 1500 adjusted to a decent trigger. The Vanguard wasn't gonna do it. Adjusted to a nice pull and the safety wouldn't work. Get the safety workin' and the trigger stunk. Gave it a Timney fix and gained the 3 position safety to boot.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Keep talkin....:cool:
When the trigger is adjusted to eliminate creep on the Howa the safety can't engage the trigger block pin. It prevents the trigger from moving, and releasing the firing pin latch.

First, I adjust the trigger til there is no creep.

Second, take a dremel with a aluminum oxide grinding wheel and cut about a third off the trigger weight spring.

Adjust the trigger weight until you are satisfied. One thing to note, if the trigger weight is to low the gun won't cock the firing pin spring. The less trigger weight the more sear engagement you will need (creep). Make sure the gun doesn't fire when dropped or the bolt is cycled hard.

Next remove the safety pin and use a sharpie to mark the amount of the trigger blocking the hole for the safety pin. Remove the trigger and grind off the sharpie mark.

Reassemble and make sure the gun doesn't fire when taken off of safety.

I can send you a picture if you're interested.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Matt, thanks but I think I've heard enough. The trigger don't seem that bad and if I decide it needs something done to it....aftermarket sounds like m best bet. :wink:
Second, take a dremel with a aluminum oxide grinding wheel and cut about a third off the trigger weight spring.

.270Win, here ya go.

I might need this for it though. :biggrin:

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OH YEAH....don't nobody tell mainbeam that's a dog box in the bed of my truck, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That big ole box for one little pup. I think I've got him named appropriately....Camo. :thumb:

Notice, no beer cans in that truck.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Possum,

I went to Vilonia Drug yesterday and looked around. They had good prices on the Howa's, can't say the same about the Stevens though. Anyways, I just can not warm up to that new Howa stock. Oh well, I am going to get changed and go look at some more places this morning. Right now the Marlin 17 HMR is at the top of the list.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm used to ugly I guess....I see it everytime I walk by a mirror. :biggrin:

I liked the feel and fit of it for me personally but still plan on getting a thumbhole stock for mine.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts