Which state for mule deer?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Hobbshunter, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    Here's my situation...

I've got 3 points in Wyoming and Colorado. My research shows that there are no 3 point units in WY. You either need 1 point or 7. Colorado is somewhat that way, but with all the different options, there are some units/seasons that take about 3 points to draw. I'm a little concerned about units that would also have an OTC elk hunt going on at the same time though.

Now for the wild card. There are quite a few tags in Montana that you'd have a chance at with no points. Down side is the tags are more expensive, and it's an even further drive. Do we save our points in the other states and go to MT?

I'm curious to get some opinions on here. Which state? CO, WY, or MT?

2. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

Wyoming. It's the only good place left.

3. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

a big muley is at the top of my list too

brushcreek likes this.
  4. curdog1

curdog1 Well-Known Member

5. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

Saw the biggest mule deer I've ever seen on the hoof this year, while elk hunting in southern Colorado. 200 yards quartering to me, stood there forever. I've never wanted to pull the trigger as bad in my life. I've got 3 points, takes 4 to 6 to draw in the zone we hunt. 3 years ago it took only 1 point and you'd get a tag every other year. Preference point creep just keep get'n worse, especially for mule deer. Lots of places have over the counter elk, don't know of any that have them for mule deer.

brushcreek likes this.
  6. y hunt

y hunt Super Moderator Staff Member

I can tell you from what little knowledge I have. I have done a lot of research. To draw the mule deer tag in Wyoming management units vs the general tag you will almost need max PP's. I looked at the number of people above me in points and the number of tags issued and figured it would take another 4 to 5 years to draw a tag in the average trophy units. I had 4 PP for deer.
    The good news. Look at the general tags. There are trophy deer all over Wyoming even in the general areas. If you are willing to spend the time and effort it can be done.

7. Hobbshunter

NWA
    So sounds like the consensus is hunt in WY, save points in CO.

No love for MT? Rut rifle season, so it might be cool, but probably less trophy potential. Plus, the Missouri Breaks are one of the easier areas you can draw. That just sounds like a cool place to go.

8. Hobbshunter

NWA
    Might as well stay in AR and kill one of those mulies you hear so much talk of on here.

curdog1 likes this.
  9. y hunt

y hunt Super Moderator Staff Member

I would not rule out MT. I have not done any research there. It is just so dang far from Arkansas. I hear they have a combo tag, which I am going to research. With tag increases in Wyoming> I hear several hunters are looking toward MT.

10. limbhanger

limbhanger Well-Known Member

Searcy
    Have you considered Nebraska? Tags are not hard to get. You can actually buy 2 either species tags for rifle. I have been there the last two years and killed both times. Muley in 16 and wt this year.

brushcreek likes this.
  11. Hobbshunter

NWA
    Hmmm... I'm not against it. Scouting trip for turkeys.

12. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

not much NE public lands is the problem and like KS, over hunted

I've looked into it

brushcreek likes this.
  13. Chasegal88

Chasegal88 Well-Known Member

I was about to make a similar post. Me and a guy i work with are trying to plan a mulie trip for this next year. We’re thinking about Montana cause he was able to book a hunt with milk river outfitters, who are very popular among the TV personalities. He went in September on a spot and stalk archery and they hunted all public land. So he now has good knowledge of good public land. The guide told him during archery season there are very few people out there and there’s practically public land from we’re he stayed all the way to the Canadian border. Only problem is it’s a 2 day drive. He also said that S. Dakota seems to be a popular place and have OTC tags. I think they just don’t have the trophy deer like Montana. Other thing about Montana is your tag is good all year so you can go back for rifle if you want, it just gets crowded if you aren’t back packed in.