Which call to buy?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by flippinhntr, Dec 14, 2010.

1. flippinhntr

flippinhntr Well-Known Member

I am wanting to buy a new duck call for my future SIL for Christmas. He really doesn't know how to call at all so I bought him a Haydel's call that came with a video on how to use it. But I want to buy him a nicer call too. I don't want to spend a ton of money either. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. cuppedup

cuppedup Well-Known Member

My .02
    Let him learn on a single reed. RNT make a Hunter model fairly cheap. Once you've learned to blow a single reed, you can blow any call. Plus you get so much more range from a single.

3. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

Get him a Black Ops DFB. About $75 and he can shut the woods down with it. :biggrin: There is a forum sponsor on here.

4. Martin Man1

Martin Man1 Well-Known Member

Is the Nicer call you are wanting to get him for show or calling ducks? Most high dollar duck calls are made to call people not ducks. :doh: RNT, Hydell & Duck Commander calls are very reasonable and do a far better job of sounding like a duck than some 2 & 3 times the cost. Of course it’s almost impossible to beat an old wooden triple reed Yentzon. Which I have been blowing for 35+ years. OK.. :whistle:I know I’m fix’n to get blasted about my comment “Most high dollar duck calls are made to call people not ducks” . Remember everybody has an opinion. :bolt:

5. jcblough

jcblough Well-Known Member

Good call, but if he gets a haydel's w/ a video and then a DFB - well that video just got turned into a coaster. Just not the same deal.

If the DFB is over your budget, echo makes some good calls in the mid range - you can get a poly timber call for around $30, if you are wanting to get him a pretty call, you could get a diamondwood timber for around $50. . .

Calls are about like trucks and shotguns - everyone has a fav and most people like to bash anything that isn't their fav.

6. derk8586

derk8586 Well-Known Member

My opinion... rich n tone calls are good calls that last forever and can be tuned for him. also most of them require little air to blow. with that said i am looking to get a Black Ops DFB right now. but from what i hear they require alot of air, and if he hasnt blown a call before it would probably be hard to learn on one of these. RNT old syle sounds real ducky and is an easy call to blow. Also a Macrohen by RNT. Most RNTs come single reed, but can all be made double reed.:up:

7. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

I use a Haydel Dirty Rice and a DR-85. I like the sound of the dirty rice better. I have heard so many good things about the DFB and very little negative. To each his own. :up:

8. NaturalStateNative

NaturalStateNative Well-Known Member

Like cuppedup said, if he learns on a single reed he will be better off in the long run, although it will take longer to get proficient on a single rather than a double reed. Single reeds have more range and you can get a lot more tone variation out of them. I personally blow Echoes and have since '99. I love echo, they sound good and look great. I would suggest the diamond barrel with polycarb insert, 45-50 bucks. It won't sound any different than the $30 call but will look like a much more expensive call.

9. NaturalStateNative

NaturalStateNative Well-Known Member

Or get a Foiles migrator! Ole jeff could probably use some money waiting on him in the next 5 to 10. :thumb:

10. derk8586

x2 :clap:

11. flippinhntr

Thanks guys. I haven't bought a call in 20 years or so. I go with the "if it aint broke, dont fix it" logic. I've been using the same ole RNT, PS Olt, and Yentzen that I have had for ever.

12. derk8586

ah man u got the good stuff. i hear those OLTs are where its at.:up:

13. jcblough

jcblough Well-Known Member

Won't see me knocking a DR-85. That's a consistent sounding call and at $15 at that. My 5 yr old has my old one and even he can make it sound like a duck.

14. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

i always liked the Primos Yo Sista, Quackhead Timber w/ modified tone board, Echo Timber in cocobola - double reed is a great call also..

15. cuppedup

cuppedup Well-Known Member

I hunted with an ole boy from Woodlawn Sunday and he could make that DR-85 plead. Smae 5 notes every cadence:shrug:

16. flippinhntr

Heck, I didnt even know that they still made the Olt calls. Mine is pretty old, bout 25 years or so. I love that thing. I have never even blown one of these new acrylic calls. The RNT is the only plastic call I have ever had. I am an old school wood call man. I still get out the ole MallardTone every now and then.

17. duckboy32

duckboy32 Well-Known Member

Cabot
    Just two cents, you can/t go wrong with an ECHO. they range in price from $15 for the trash talker, up to the $140 XLT.

18. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

im started to lean this way also, my rnt collection is starting to dwindle down, and the echo collection is going up! i would like to check out a DFB, just to see what its about.

19. qwack smacker 1on1

qwack smacker 1on1 Well-Known Member

:up:get him the meat hanger he will be happy:up:

20. duckboy32

duckboy32 Well-Known Member

Cabot
    the ECHO XLT is nice if you want just one call for timber and open water.