Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been many posts on AK's for the last few weeks. Mr. C or anybody--Are these Romanian AK's about the same quality as the others made around the world?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/New_Long_Guns.html

Or are there better quality AK's for a few bucks more? If so where? I've gotta do it now. I know what's going to happen later. Thanks. Personal opinions are wanted.

·
Administrator
87,242 Posts
I'm no AK guru by any means, I own a Romanian SAR-1. It is a 2002 model. I have used and abused it and it just keeps on truckin'. There are by far better AK's out there, but if you just want a blaster that works, the Romanians will do just fine.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"extreme situations", the thicker 1.5mm stamped receivers found in Norinco, Valmet/Sako, and Zastava/Serbian rifles are more durable."

Is that internet bull or is it factual? Says the others have 1mm steel receivers?

·
Administrator
87,242 Posts
"There are by far better AK's out there" Such as? Do the Romanians have a chrome lined bore? Thanks for the fast response. I may order one tomorrow.
There again, I'm not real up to date on AK's. I had a pre-ban Norinco that had a milled receiver. Those were heavy duty, and heavy also. It brought a premium during the AWB. Valmet are also top of the line.

I can't speak for all variations of the Romanian rifles, but the SAR-1 that I have does have a chrome lined bore.

·
Administrator
87,242 Posts
"extreme situations", the thicker 1.5mm stamped receivers found in Norinco, Valmet/Sako, and Zastava/Serbian rifles are more durable."

Is that internet bull or is it factual? Says the others have 1mm steel receivers?
Whereas some have milled receivers, this rifle has a stamped receiver. I don't know anything about the 1mm vs 1.5mm steel.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
May be accurate but I wouldn't bet on it either... the structural differences that is.

The Romanan rifles are great for what most folks will ever want and use one for. There are lots of parts out there for them too. Not all of the AK's are as parts friendly as others. The Bulgarian models are really good AK's. The Polish are very good AK's, some of the Yugo models are about the same as the ROMAK's..... Kreb's build some extraordinary AK's... but I've yet to see one that will group much better that the other standard Romanian's will.

These are just my experineces from seeing them in a few different locales in the past. The milled models will be very expensive and most are not any better "shooters" for most folks.

I plan to go on and order hte olish Tantal and then go ahead and order a full stock kit for it. I'm not a big fan of the Polish folders.... but kick a Keng's stock on it and I;ll be jolly. 5.45x39 and all the ammo I can stand for it!!!

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
The AK family of guns are all very robust and reliable. There are some very nice ones out there that cost an arm and a leg. It depends what you want it for as to whether or not they are worth the extra $$. I have 3 AK type rifles, 2 are 308 the other is a 223 and they are all great guns. If your on the fence about getting one now is the time to jump off the fence and go buy it. If your undecided on buying one and would like to shoot one I offer mine up to anyone that wants to shoot them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.