Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Administrator
91,832 Posts
I'll preface what I am about to say with the fact that I have never killed a hog with a handgun, but if I was going tomorrow I'd carry hard cast lead SWC's loaded as hot as I could get them without leading.

If those 2 are your only choices, I'd go with the JSP over the JHP for the penetration.

· Registered
2,541 Posts
I'd bet just about any .44 load will put a hog down. To hear them tell it, many on this forum are happy as clams using a .17HMR. Personally, I just take my glasses off, give 'em my best "In-The-Hood" glower and scare 'em to death.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Any should work. It all boils down to shot placement. Rimfires work best on head shots (i like hollow points) or sometimes a neck shot but that one is marginal. I lost 2 big boars last summer with a .35 remington (200 gr. cor-lokt). Still sick about that...shot placement, shot placement, and shot placement.

· Registered
2,545 Posts
Silver Alloy hardcast SWC have worked well for me. Not much if any cheaper than jacketed but will pass through a big hog from just about any angle, piles 'em up quick. Another thing I like about these is I can push them at true magnum velocities without leading, gas checks not necessary.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.