which 1911 compact to buy?

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by slug slinger, Dec 23, 2012.

1. slug slinger

slug slinger Super Member<br>2015-16 Deer Hunting Contest Winne

I have a little cash saved up and I am wanting a 1911 compact to carry. Right now cash is the limiting factor. I can't spent $1000 + on a pistol. I am however a firm believer in the old saying "you get what you pay for". So that being said, what would be the best gun for the value. I could probably go $750 + on one, but that isn't saying that I want to go that much if a better value is to be had. Thanks

2. keyman157

keyman157 Well-Known Member

I've had the Springfield Micro compact in .45 and the Springfield XDS. The XDS is lighter and makes a good carry gun. It is a good shooter and the recoil isn't bad. You can pick up an XDS for around $550. The Micro Compact goes for around $1100. I have always been a 1911 guy and swore I would never own a plastic gun. After shooting the XDS I am a convert.

3. dlfarley

dlfarley Well-Known Member

I've got a glock 36. Like the XDs its a single stack .45. I shot it for the first time yesterday and was surprised by how manageable the recoil was. You may not believe this but it felt less than my full size kimber.

4. 2fast2reid

2fast2reid Well-Known Member

I like my Colt Defender.

5. eddie.sandefur

eddie.sandefur Active Member

Rock island armory. They put out solid 1911's at a decent price. You can get a nice officer/commander model in the 5-750 range.