Where to trap for cats around Jonesboro

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by beefed_up, Dec 15, 2012.

1. beefed_up

beefed_up Well-Known Member

So i own 500 acres in dalton arkansas and trapped for two weeks up there so far. I go really lucky and caught a bobcat the first day i checked my traps. Anyway, i can't keep driving up there and checking the traps due to gas issues since i live in Jonesboro..LOL..I want to start trapping around Jonesboro and was curious if anyone could give me pointers on where to start. I was thinking edges of farm fields and ditches...Just don't really know enough about it to go out blind and put out traps. Should i go out and just put traps out and hope to catch a cat? Also, when trapping ditches do I need to put the trap in the ditch or up on the banks looking down into it? Thanks guys.

2. hogfan1

hogfan1 Well-Known Member

You need a little woods and a little water. Find that and walk the edges looking for tracks. Set you traps as close to the line of travel as possible. Get ready for some competition too. I trap around Jonesboro and I know a few other big time cat trappers that trap around there too.

3. hogfan1

hogfan1 Well-Known Member

Not that I'm any competition. I did come across a few other people's cat sets last year. If you can find some good beaver sign, there are probably cats there.

4. Golden09

Golden09 Well-Known Member

Don't waste your time there ain't none :)

5. beefed_up

6. 44

44 Well-Known Member

Don't set up near any Chinese restruaunt. Very low population near those type of places.

7. Golden09

Golden09 Well-Known Member

Hogfan gives sound advise, he and I learned bobcat tactics together

8. CamoNinja

CamoNinja Account Suspended

nea
    Ask that Caldwell boy. I hear hes a CatMan!! ;)-

9. beefed_up

who's caldwell boy?

10. CamoNinja

CamoNinja Account Suspended

nea
    Supposed to be some young guy whos last name is Caldwell from Jboro who is a real CatMan. Catches em 2 at a time. I hear he can catch em by both feet!

11. richey5

richey5 Well-Known Member

If ya dont mind drivin to paragould you trap scatter creek. thats where i trap some and do good on alot of things