Where do you think I hit this deer?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by nemhsiri, Dec 13, 2010.

1. nemhsiri

nemhsiri Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, I am sick tonight. I lost my first deer.:mad: The doe was quartering to me, but I had a perfect shot at the lungs. I squeeze off the shot and the arrow hit her at what I thought was the top of the lungs. She spun and hit a tree about 15 yards from where she was shot, and when the arrow came out she just stood there. The other little one that was with her kind of made a big circle and when the second deer started to walk off my doe went to follow.... but she almost tipped over. I thought this was a great sign and watched her walk off. I waited about 15 mins after I couldn't see them any more and I got down to go see what the arrow looked like. I get almost to the arrow and 40 yards away the doe jumps up and starts to wobble off. I thought she can't even walk so she should be done in 40 mins. I wait the 40 mins, go to the arrow, and blood everywhere... didn't see bubbles, just bright red. Then I go to where I seen her last and the blood trail just keeps going. I was using the binos in case she jumped up I could see something. I followed that trail for almost 400 yards. She went all the way down the mountain, cross a creek, then headed left. I went almost another 100yds, but there was a fence. I saw a house on the hill but I have no idea what road to take to get there, and I heard dogs so I wasn't about to walk up there. My question is this... The broadhead went in almost 9" and is covered in bright red blood, with lots of white hair where the arrow broke. Does this sound like it was a kill shot? I think it went between the top of the lungs and the backbone.... just never a big bunch of blood after that first spot. Sorry if I rambled on too much, I just can't figure out what I may have done wrong.

2. SR4

SR4 Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi

Lots of white hair doesn't sound like between lungs and backbone. Were you in a stand? Could be from an exit hole.

Also you can look on bing maps of your hunting area and find where the house is you walked to and the road its on.

3. Yell County Bowhunter

Yell County Bowhunter Well-Known Member

Sounds to me the only thing you did wrong was you started looking to soon...she'll keep through the night...start again in the morning and I bet you will find her...:up:

4. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

If in the stand you may just hit an artery and since you had good blood and the way she acted you had a good hit. Possible heart? I know I have jumped deer after a shot and never recovered them. They will run for ever sometimes. Maybe next time back out, even means going out of the way. Get permission to cross over and you may get lucky. Good luck.:up:

5. Hog_54

Hog_54 Well-Known Member

NWA
    Go back in morning with that much blood she dead somewhere I almost bet. As cold as it is she'll be fine. Good Luck

6. Levee Hunter

Levee Hunter Well-Known Member

Got down too quick, good lesson to learn, might be a big buck next time. Survival instincts kick in and she might run a mile. Wherever she finally laid down is probably where she died.

7. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Might of hit her in the leg it happens.

8. nemhsiri

nwa, yeah I was in a stand. I saw where the arrow hit. It was right behind the right front shoulder about 4 inches and a bit high.

9. Nuge Fan

Nuge Fan Well-Known Member

If there was white hair and a decent blood trail you didn't hit high. Think about it deer only have white hair on their underside and neck. Plus if you hit high it would prob be quite a ways before she started bleeding (body cavity has to fill up to the holes to spill out)

10. mossyhorn

mossyhorn Well-Known Member

Yeah........and.......shooting a deer quarting too. Good luck finding your deer. Keep us posted

11. SR4

I'd let her go overnight. I bet she'll be dead in the morning and she sure aint gonna spoil as long as those dogs dont push her or coyotes get her. It sounds like your head poked out her belly and thats where the white hair came from. You may have only got one lung, maybe liver and depending on how quartered she was towards you you may have hit guts too. Did you smell your arrow? Smell like gut? Find any black specks in your blood?

12. green_head_getter

green_head_getter Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner

Mistakes, quartering too shot. Looked too early. After jumping her I woulda backed out for at least 2 hours. Especially with this cold. Should have went to house and got permission to look. Sounds like she is dead to me. The biggest mistake so far that I've noticed is that you gave up too early. Get out there and get her tomorrow. You'll find her. Dogs were prolly barking at her

13. pruitt76

pruitt76 Well-Known Member

I lost one earlier this year that I hit high. I didn't have any blood for about 75-100 yds. Good news is, he showed up on trail cam this week, alive and well. It sounds like your deer is hit pretty hard since you had lots of blood at the start and she was already laying down nearby. Deer are tough animals and can go a long way especially if they are pushed. Good luck finding her.

14. nemhsiri

No black specks, just bright red blood. Didn't smell like guts, just blood. I pulled it up on google maps and found the road that goes next to where I last found blood. I am getting ready to go out and see if someone is up so I can get permission to look there in the morning. Thanks for the help.

15. SR4

Thats good. I bet you'll find her in the morning.

Keep us posted.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  16. nemhsiri

found the landowner tonight, they gave me permission to go out and look in the morning, so hopefully she is still there and no yotes got to her.:clap:

17. SR4

Good deal:thumb: I hope you find her.

18. Razoo97

Razoo97 Well-Known Member

how high up were you, and how far of a shot, and what did the hit sound like?

19. gregrn43

gregrn43 Well-Known Member

NEA
    I agree you should find her. Quartering to you shots are not good shots to take, your almost setting youself up for disaster. I wait an hour before trailing up on a deer that I didnt see fall even if I know I hit him well, longer if I think its a bad shot. Its not a heart shot or she would never have ran 400 yards. If you caught just one lung a deer can run a long ways and with a quartering to angle that could be what you done. If you had white hair the arrow had to exit low or you hit low to begin with. Just keep looking I think she can be found.

20. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

Go get her! She's down. :up: