Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to get the deer away from my hunting area if I can. It depends on the temp, and where I am. If I know it will take a while to get back to my truck or camp I field dress it before I leave the area. I have found that guts around your stand doesn't bother the deer much but the yotes and other creatures that eat them do. If I have a short trip back to camp I wait until I get there to gut the deer,if its not to hot.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I have always field dressed mine on the spot. I want them to cool down ASAP.

One weekend we killed 4 deer from one ground blind. 3 on opening day and then my son killed a 3 1/2 year old 12 point the next day. The smell never seems to bother the deer where we hunt.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
The only reason I wouldn't do it where I find him is if I have a long drag that might contaminate the abd/chest cavity. Then I wait till the drag is thru.

I'm surprised at so many people that never field dress a deer. Cooling the carcass is important for not only good meat but safety reasons as well.

hd

·
Registered
14,537 Posts
The only reason I wouldn't do it where I find him is if I have a long drag that might contaminate the abd/chest cavity.
I used to always gut them right on the spot, but I've switched to doing it toward the end of the drag for that reason. I got tired of my tenderloins being all dirty.
I'm starting to think about taking a ziploc bag though, so I can go back to gutting on the spot and putting the tenders in a bag. I almost always have a pretty long drag, and I hate taking any more weight than necessary.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
We have several nice creeks that cross our lease. I get mine to the creek and field dress them there. It is generally dressed with 15-20 minutes of hitting the ground. I like being able to wash up and putting the deer into the cool water and washing the cavity out. We have our own tag sheets on the lease so mine is generally quartered and on ice with 1 hour after being killed.

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
I almost always field dress mine on the spot. However, I hunt with some people on their land that don't want me to do it that way so, I honor their wishes. For those that don't field dress their's, does someone else do it or is it never field dressed?:head:

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
I almost always field dress mine on the spot. However, I hunt with some people on their land that don't want me to do it that way so, I honor their wishes. For those that don't field dress their's, does someone else do it or is it never field dressed?:head:
Its never field dressed jus skinned and shoulders, hams, tenderloins, and some neck meat is cut off and the rest disposed of

·
Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W
4,211 Posts
Right where he hits the ground. I like to get the hot stuff out of 'em. I don't worry about leaves and dirt getting into the body cavity, because they help keep the flies off of 'em.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.