Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught some grif from some inlaws who seem to think I started my oldest son off hunting to early. He is seven now and killed his first deer when he was six and another this year. Now you could not have knocked the smile off of that boys face with a sledge hammer and I could not be prouder of him. I now have another son ten months and plan to have him in the woods just as soon. I was wondering what soom other folks feelings was on the subject and do you think I am wrong for letting him do what he loves to do.

·
Super Moderator
9,418 Posts
I caught some grif from some inlaws who seem to think I started my oldest son off hunting to early. He is seven now and killed his first deer when he was six and another this year. Now you could not have knocked the smile off of that boys face with a sledge hammer and I could not be prouder of him. I now have another son ten months and plan to have him in the woods just as soon. I was wondering what soom other folks feelings was on the subject and do you think I am wrong for letting him do what he loves to do.
If he is responsible enough to handle a gun with your help and understands what it can do, then he is old enough. I know many, many kids that have started at the same age as yours. :thumb:

·
Moderator<br>Campfire<br>General Hunting Topics<br
11,495 Posts
I know that you would be stirring up a hornets nest but, I would tell them that it was none of their business how I raised my child.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
When they can safely fire a gun of their own control, and hit the target most of the time in practice. Remember, much more to hunting than killing an animal,hopefully you will have a lifetime to teach them that.

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
I know that you would be stirring up a hornets nest but, I would tell them that it was none of their business how I raised my child.

Kinda what I was thinkin' there.

I know a guy who's grandson killed his first deer at 4 1/2. He was shooting cans at 30 yards with a bb gun at 3 1/2. He used a 30 cal carbine with open sights and had a place where his longest shot was 25 yards. Killed a nice sized 5pt at 5 1/2, not sure if he got one this year, but I know he had stepped up to a 243 before I moved.

·
Registered
13,215 Posts
I'd say it probably varies a lot from child to child.
I didnt carry a rifle deer hunting until I was 14, but I was started hunting doves, rabbits, and squirrels at about 11. My dad didnt want to put us behind a 20 gauge too early and develop a flinch.
Each their own.
One thing that did make me wonder this year. During the Hobbs Youth Permit Hunt, I was coming and going in the middle of the day, and there was a Jeep parked along the highway all day. I hope that youth enjoyed sitting in a stand all day long. I dont really want to stir up that whole youth-hunt pot, but that's why I'm still glad I hunted game that took less patience until I was older.

·
Registered
826 Posts
my girlfriends nephew goes with his dad alot, he doesnt do well in the stand for very long but he likes being out there. He is almost four and he got to pull the trigger with his dad holding the gun and they killed a doe this year.

I say its up to you on how old he should be. Your the parent ya know and its not just about hunting or killing, its spending time woth your kids and starting a tradition. That has no age limit

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I think I started going to deer camp with my dad when I was 9 and my brother was 7. I got to sit against a tree about 30 yds from my dad with an unloaded single shot 16 guage. Me and my brother didn't kill many deer at that age, but just going to camp with my dad and other relatives left lasting memories. I started taking my son to the stand when he was 4. He would take along his BB gun and thought he was big game hunter. I let him carry a .223 single shot last year and he actually shot at two deer and missed at 7 years of age. This year I took him and my 4 year old and we hunted out of ground blinds and he took his first doe with me. He later went with my dad and killed a 9 pt. All he could talk about was getting it mounted and placing it beside mine in the game room. It was a lot nicer buck than the first one I took. Do what's best for you and your child. You know their personality and temperment. I let the boys take along their video games with headphones and plenty of snacks and they can sit/sleep in the stand as long as any adult. They are constantly asking when the next time they can goto deer camp, or what is in season now!:thumb:

·
Registered
185 Posts
If they love it let them get after it! My sons are 9 and 12 -- the 9 years old has killed 5 deer and numerous ducks, squirrels, doves and .... the 12 year old has killed 8 deer and ..... Both of them love hunting. They were outside yesterday practicing using their turkey calls. They are the greatest hunting partners I could ever have!!!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Well I have a step-son who is 7 years old and killed his third and forth bucks this year, along with another doe. He was taugh thow to handle guns prperly and is very safe. when we get in the stand I lt him load it and bolt one into the barrel put the gun on safety then I put the gun on my side of the stan d and hand it to him when a deer comes out the rest he does on his own. I have a 2 year old who love hunting already he shoots ducks birds and deer all the time from the comforts of the living room with his handy plastic rifle, I even have him properly holding the gun when he shoots. I think it is all a matter of teaching them the right way to use and handle firearms at an early age.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If they love it let them get after it! My sons are 9 and 12 -- the 9 years old has killed 5 deer and numerous ducks, squirrels, doves and .... the 12 year old has killed 8 deer and ..... Both of them love hunting. They were outside yesterday practicing using their turkey calls. They are the greatest hunting partners I could ever have!!!
I couldn't agree more all I here is when can we go again and to tell the truth I am thinking the same thing my self. I grew up hunting with my father and it probably kept me out of a lot of trouble and would not try to count memories.I just hope to do the same for them.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
i would agree with everyone else, they should mind their own business:biggrin: if you teach them well and they show enough maturity to handle it, go for it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have been taking both my kids (11&9) for two years.

They have a hard time being still so I bought a Ground Max Escape ground blind. I love it and you can't see in it at 5 yards away. They like it a lot more and ground blinds just plain work. I wish I'd got one years ago. With a ground blind I would take kids young as possible as long as they can be quiet. (depends on the kid)

·
Member<br>'09 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<br
432 Posts
You ask if other folks think you are doing wrong. In my opinion you are doing your son a huge favor. You are teaching him something that will stay with him for the rest of his life that he can pass on to his children if he chooses. Some of the best times I can remember growing up are the times I spent hunting with my dad and I still look forward to the chances we get to hunt together each year. I hope to pass that on to my children and have already started by taking my daughter squirrel and dove hunting. I hope she gets to shoot her first deer next year. By the time the youth deer season arrives she'll be a few weeks past 9 years old. If I lived somewhere that it was more convenient to shoot a gun and teach her, I would have had her in the woods with a youth gun this past year. No one can keep your in laws from thinking what they want, but he's your son. You raise him the way you think he should be raised and enjoy him, and hunt with him every chance you get.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You ask if other folks think you are doing wrong. In my opinion you are doing your son a huge favor. You are teaching him something that will stay with him for the rest of his life that he can pass on to his children if he chooses. Some of the best times I can remember growing up are the times I spent hunting with my dad and I still look forward to the chances we get to hunt together each year. I hope to pass that on to my children and have already started by taking my daughter squirrel and dove hunting. I hope she gets to shoot her first deer next year. By the time the youth deer season arrives she'll be a few weeks past 9 years old. If I lived somewhere that it was more convenient to shoot a gun and teach her, I would have had her in the woods with a youth gun this past year. No one can keep your in laws from thinking what they want, but he's your son. You raise him the way you think he should be raised and enjoy him, and hunt with him every chance you get.

I may not have been hunting but I have been going to deer camp since I was in diapers and I can't agree more about the huge favor. I am now 19 and old enough to go on my own and hunt and kill and clean deer all by myself but I will always cherish the times when I was learning how to do it all with my dad and everyone else. I still enjoy just goin and scoutin out a block of woods with my dad or getting out class in the middle of the week and callin dad during muzzleloading to see how many he has seen and where the buck sign is at. This year I was calling him everyday when I got out of my 11 o'clock class to see how the morning had gone. Hunting is my passion and it is because people like my dad and you all want to get kids in the woods as much as possible and I am glad to hear so many are already getting kids started.

·
Member<br>2012 Photo Contest Winner
1,378 Posts
I have a 3 yr old that is in the woods as much as most grown men I know..We don't "hunt" that much but we check cameras and put out feed, even stop occasionally when its warm out and play in the mud puddles :biggrin: I got him a squirrel dog last year, this year we have been squirrel hunting, I mean it has everything he loves, his dog, the 4 wheeler, and MUD...He is 100% BOY and I wouldn't have it any other way, now ask me if he will ever kill a deer or turkey and I'll tell you that it will be up to him when he is ready. As far as being to young, NO WAY, they grow up so fast you had better get them started doing it now before they get hooked on the Nintendo and Computers...I am very thankful now that I have a son that my dad took me with him to the woods when I was barely big enough to walk.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Heck, I was being carried to the deer stands before I could walk. My parents didn't let me hunt with a rifle till I was 10 but I managed to killed my first two bucks the very first Saturday I hunted.
By the time I was 7 or 8 years old I was shooting .22's with my dad and some of his friends and beating them. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts