Arkansas Hunting banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
So how does that work. You can’t fish period until the opening date, or you just can’t keep fish until then?
In the trout parks you can't do either out of season. There are places on the rivers you can catch and release year round.

You need to take that boy of yours up to Roaring river to catch some stockers one day. It's a hoot.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Openers for Minnesota this year.
Bass opener is also 5/15/21
05/15/21Walleye, sauger and northern pike openerStatewide inland waters
06/05/21Muskellunge openerStatewide inland waters
04/16/22Stream trout openerStatewide inland streams
05/14/22Walleye, sauger and northern pike openerStatewide inland waters
06/04/22Muskellunge openerStatewide inland waters
I would not have done well growing up there. When I was a kid I kept a running inventory of at least 20 creeks, rivers, ponds and mudholes within walking or biking distance of my house. If me and my cousins and friends couldn’t be located on any given day of the year, the best bet was to start checking the local fishing holes. I kept up that practice until I finally had to quit. Seems that a seven year old on a bicycle sneaking in to fish a farm pond is cute and charming; not so much with a 20 year old on a Suzuki.

·
Registered
715 Posts
So how does that work. You can’t fish period until the opening date, or you just can’t keep fish until then?
If I understand everything correctly, at least in Wisconsin from what little I've done up there, you cannot fish specifically for that species...which, if you have seen the lures they chuck for muskellunge, you'd get "well how the heck would they know???" Think of a Mepps/Rooster Tail spinner about 10-12" long, or a jig/grub tail that long. Seeing them in the tackle shops looks like some kind of joke... If you catch one accidentally, I believe you are immediately supposed to release it unharmed. I was out on a river floating for smallmouth, and we moved a big musky...probably in the 48" range, maybe bigger...the guy I was with said, "season isn't open, but if it eats the fly you are casting for smallmouth, what are we supposed to do....you are fishing smallmouth, and it ate a crawfish fly..."

Trout is an easy thing...the streams are trout streams, pretty much period, paragraph, and much smaller than the trout rivers here...think more like Dry Run Creek off of the White River, if not smaller. If someone is fishing on them, they aren't after bream and bass. Walleye/sauger they would know by the baits you're using, most likely...one or two is an accident...more than that...well...

And, they look at the time of year...just like here, everything has a spring cycle.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I quit g
I would not have done well growing up there. When I was a kid I kept a running inventory of at least 20 creeks, rivers, ponds and mudholes within walking or biking distance of my house. If me and my cousins and friends couldn’t be located on any given day of the year, the best bet was to start checking the local fishing holes. I kept up that practice until I finally had to quit. Seems that a seven year old on a bicycle sneaking in to fish a farm pond is cute and charming; not so much with a 20 year old on a Suzuki.

I quit gorilla fishing at about 12 when old man Frazier chased me across the pasture on his Old Ford tractor. I grabbed my Zebco 202 & tackle box & hauled heiny. I knew once I crossed Nix creek he couldn't catch me, but he gave my buddy the 3rd degree & he ratted me out. My father would have torn me a new one if that farmer called him. I stuck to the OK to fish ponds after that.

Any one else have a close call?

·
Grand Member
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I was talking to my buddy up there a couple of weeks ago when the lake there just thawed out. I asked him if they were fishing any, he said the only thing you could fish for was pan fish, crappie and perch. Although the Game & Fish were netting walleye to get egg for their hatchery, he allowed the walleye spawned as soon as the ice was gone, but you can't fish for them until May 15th. Indian reservation covers a lot of northern Minnesota, about 1/4 of Lake Vermilion where I go, and they can net and gig as soon as the ice is off.

·
Member On Double Secret Probation
29,321 Posts
I passed a pond in south dakota this past week and they looked like that.

·
Registered
194 Posts
In the trout parks you can't do either out of season. There are places on the rivers you can catch and release year round.

You need to take that boy of yours up to Roaring river to catch some stockers one day. It's a hoot.
That place bout got wiped off the map the other day during the floods it looked like

21 - 30 of 30 Posts