Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
That's got to be somewhere up in Yankee land....where they would call that "fishing". Bet they got more hooks in each other, than in fish...;)

Game Wardens, probably had a great day....:)

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
That's one of the MO trout parks I think opening morning waiting on the horn to sound. I've done it a couple times when I lived up there. It's a novelty that's kind of fun.

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
I've seen pictures of this kind of "fishing", before.....doesn't look like fun to me. Too many people, too close together.
It's a novelty and lasts about 30 to 45 minutes at the trout parks. After that folks either have their 5 and leave or get bored and walk off.

It's really more of a community event the first few days of season. Amazingly, most folks are pretty courteous and everyone seems to have a good time.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
It's a novelty and lasts about 30 to 45 minutes at the trout parks. After that folks either have their 5 and leave or get bored and walk off.

It's really more of a community event the first few days of season. Amazingly, most folks are pretty courteous and everyone seems to have a good time.
There is always some idiot fly casting to the trout that we’re eating dog food the night before while standing shoulder to shoulder. He will be tangled up or hook you in 37 seconds. But he is wearing a sweet felt hat.

I once just sat back and watched the show. You can definitely tell the locals, they put down their Mountain Dews when the bell rings and have their limit and are back in the truck puffing on E-Cigs in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Many years ago I was in Minnesota on what I later learned was the opening day of fishing season. Absolute madhouse around Mille Lacs Lake. People everywhere, boats everywhere. I didn’t know what was going on and just thought people up there were insane. When I realized there was actually a fishing season, I was sure of it. I can’t imagine growing up and not being able to drop a hook in every creek or pond I happened upon.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yeah, that's Missouri. I have fished the trout parks before, but haven't gone shoulder to shoulder.

But, that picture could also be Cow Shoals on the Little Red during the brown trout spawn...it's amazing what actions and behavior people will justify trying to catch a 30" brown trout.

Wisconsin has seasons for trout, musky, and some other fish if I remember. I think Minnesota does as well. And it gets worse if you are chasing musky...the management of lakes and some rivers have quotas on the number of musky that can be taken due to the slow growth. So the First Nations/indigenous people who get to go in and spear and fish outside of the season and limits will take out however many they want, and then that lake is closed to anything but catch and release for the season, if not closed to musky fishing entirely, and possibly several years based on what they "harvest" and then throw on the garbage piles.

·
Grand Member
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Many years ago I was in Minnesota on what I later learned was the opening day of fishing season. Absolute madhouse around Mille Lacs Lake. People everywhere, boats everywhere. I didn’t know what was going on and just thought people up there were insane. When I realized there was actually a fishing season, I was sure of it. I can’t imagine growing up and not being able to drop a hook in every creek or pond I happened upon.
Openers for Minnesota this year.
Bass opener is also 5/15/21
05/15/21Walleye, sauger and northern pike openerStatewide inland waters
06/05/21Muskellunge openerStatewide inland waters
04/16/22Stream trout openerStatewide inland streams
05/14/22Walleye, sauger and northern pike openerStatewide inland waters
06/04/22Muskellunge openerStatewide inland waters

1 - 20 of 30 Posts