When do bucks start shedding in Ark?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by eaglet3, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Just a thought, when do the bucks start dropping their horns in Ark?

Reason I'm asking, as a bow hunter we hunt late season. Last year I took a buck, well, i should say, i found out it was a buck after i shot him, that had already shed his horns, needless to say I wanna be more careful next time. I'd rather kill slickheads late season and not a buck without his horns. sooo, question still stands...When?

2. btech29

btech29 Platnium Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>Stud Duck

I have several on camera that already have.

3. austincrutchfield

austincrutchfield Well-Known Member

Some bucks have already and i have seen some in april still with there horns. It all depends on the buck, but most shed in late january and early february

4. KemperCamper

KemperCamper Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W

From now through Feb.

Some may start shedding in late December thru late Feb. or even as late as March.

5. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

Had two big deer walk within 100 yards from me at Winona today. Both ended up being bucks that just shed.

6. jwalker

jwalker Well-Known Member

Gonna go shed/squirrel hunting in the bottoms tomorrow then

7. jhw

jhw Well-Known Member

Saw two that had shed one side, in the first week of december.

8. Bottomlander

Bottomlander Well-Known Member

Seen them as late as April

depends on nature.

9. i have seen them in march still with horns, but i know a guy that killed an 8pt monday and when he hit the ground 1 side fell off.

10. D

D Well-Known Member

Depends on the stress level of the buck. A highly stressed buck may loose them in early December. I saw one on December 18th that had dropped his. He had a wound on his shoulder that was healing up. Another guy I hunt with saw one December 5th that had dropped. No injuries seen.

11. REM870

REM870 Account Suspended

seen em drop in february and seen em drop in april.

12. ruger08

ruger08 Well-Known Member

found two sheds on january 2 this year that had just been dropped, still had fresh blood on em.

13. emerson

emerson Well-Known Member

I have too, a freind kill a good size buck [looking at his bases] on the Christmas hunt.