Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been planting food plots here in AR since 1980. Never seen a wheat shortage until last year and again this year. Several places around here ran out last year and I have bought all the seed two places have left in the last week. Both said they arent getting any more this year. Might have to switch to planting oats where we dont dove hunt. At least They keep oats year round for feed.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Oats might not be a bad alternative for you. I’ve planted oats and rye grass for winter pasture the last couple of years and they do just as good if not better than wheat.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
^ Was in the local hardware store earlier this morning and an older man came in looking for rye grass. The store's supplier is out and apparently has been. Not sure if it's an isolated supplier or not.

·
Premium Member
23,597 Posts
Lot of things out at the feed store from what the one I stoped at told me. Said they have ordered lots of stuff but can’t get it. Waiting on the supplier to call them back.

·
Premium Member
29,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plant using a seeder and I dont think all grain - which usually has a little molasses in it, would be kind to a calibrated drop tube type seeder. It also has corn in it - no go around hogs. I have planted oats quite a bit over the years - and they are fine for deer plots. I dont care for them as far as attracting doves - I havent seen doves work a standing oat field like they will oats. I did plant some oats a couple weeks ago in a throw n mow plot. I have read where oats dont germinate as easily as wheat or cereal rye and thus, not the first choice for tnm. We will see how that goes. Deer will eat the heck out of oats, though.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I've used oats and wheat. It seems like they actually like the oats a little better but oats can't stand an early hard freeze as well as wheat. I've had oats yellow and wheat plots still be green.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I've used oats and wheat. It seems like they actually like the oats a little better but oats can't stand an early hard freeze as well as wheat. I've had oats yellow and wheat plots still be green.
That also depends on the variety of oats. Feed or Bob's oats will turn yellow in the cold. I've planted buck forage twice that stayed green all winter. They are way more expensive than the others.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Arkansas Hunting mobile app

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Been planting food plots here in AR since 1980. Never seen a wheat shortage until last year and again this year. Several places around here ran out last year and I have bought all the seed two places have left in the last week. Both said they arent getting any more this year. Might have to switch to planting oats where we dont dove hunt. At least They keep oats year round for feed.
How many pounds do you need ?
I’ll see if our supplier may have some

·
Premium Member
29,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ll call our reclamation guy tomorrow and have him look. I know we have had issues getting native grasses this year.
Are you planting 120+ lbs per acre ?
Yes - 120 to 150 lbs per acre. A 1/4 of that was top sown for combination dove attraction, planting. None of that effort produced any wheat growth or doves. Some years, it does great with a timely rain. This year, it didnt.
I dont need any more wheat this year. I was able to finish up with that last 750 lbs. I appreciate the offer for assistance.

·
Premium Member
29,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I could find any two years ago. Guy at coop said not as much wheat grown in Arkansas anymore. I didn’t realize we were so dependent on local wheat crop.
I didnt either. Main place I buy from told me this year they buy theirs from a farmer on red river east of Texarkana. When they run out, they are out - cant get any more local. They can order it for you - just like they would millet or some other non local seed. A lot more $

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.