Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At Springdale Co-Op, They got 100 bags in this morning and were down in the 70's when I picked mine up. I think it was $14.59 for 50# bag. It was seed wheat. They weren't sure if they were getting more.

·
Premium Member
30,237 Posts
I plant non certified wheat every year - a couple tons of it. My source for seed ran out of the non certified variety last year and I had to buy some higher dollar certified seed - I could not tell any difference.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
I plant non certified wheat every year - a couple tons of it. My source for seed ran out of the non certified variety last year and I had to buy some higher dollar certified seed - I could not tell any difference.
So what is certified seed? It is inspected by the state and determined to be pure and free of weed seed? And non-certified is just harvested by the farmer and planted or sold without inspection?

·
Premium Member
30,237 Posts
So what is certified seed? It is inspected by the state and determined to be pure and free of weed seed? And non-certified is just harvested by the farmer and planted or sold without inspection?
I am not sure who certifies it. You will see the analysis on the bag - but I dont know who does the certification. My non-certified seed comes from the farmer’s field to the grain bin at the feed store and they bag it on site. To be honest, Concerning certified vs. non-certified seed - I would be more concerned about the weed seed content than the germination rate - and as a food plotter, I am not even that concerned about weeds. Non certified wheat seed spilled in the back of my ranger was growing yesterday until I cleaned it out this morning

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
I am not sure who certifies it. You will see the analysis on the bag - but I dont know who does the certification. My non-certified seed comes from the farmer’s field to the grain bin at the feed store and they bag it on site. To be honest, Concerning certified vs. non-certified seed - I would be more concerned about the weed seed content than the germination rate - and as a food plotter, I am not even that concerned about weeds. Non certified wheat seed spilled in the back of my ranger was growing yesterday until I cleaned it out this morning
Yeah, I’m not really worried about any certifications either. I was just wondering what the difference was and why it was cheaper. I think I’ll try to get some regular non-certified seed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts