Whats your tree rat method?

Discussion in 'Small Game and Bird Hunting' started by B_Price, Dec 15, 2010.

1. B_Price

B_Price Well-Known Member

So how do you get the tree rats?

Do you walk through the woods until you see movement in the tree. Do you find a tree and just park it for awhile till they come to you? Do you use dogs?

What time of the day do you go? Early morning hours, mid day, or late afternoon.

What type of weather do you NOT hunt in. cold, heat, wind, snow, rain, etc.

What type of firearm do you use. 12ga, 22lr, 22 mag, 17 mach 2, 17hmr etc.

If you could give someone some basic advice what would it be.

example:
    I walk through the woods until I see one run across a branch.
    I like to go from early mornings to noonish.
    I do not hunt in rain or wind as it seems they dont like wind and I dont like rain.
    I use my trusty marlin 22mag but I have been taking my beretta .22 pistol hoping Ill get my first pistol kill.
    My advice for squirrel hunting is like any other hunting, if you say you are squirrel hunting, you will only see deer. If you are only deer hunting, you will see only squirrels so tell your self that you are going deer hunting. :thumb:

2. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

Best advise I can give is to find someone that has a common interest in squirrel hunting and a great deal of experience. Go squirrel hunting with them and learn all you can. You have to decide what/how you like to hunt and go for it. :thumb:

3. Hog_54

Hog_54 Well-Known Member

Hunt over those corn feeders:idea::idea::idea:

4. englishdawgs

englishdawgs Well-Known Member

I hunt them all three ways you have listed.
    I also like to hunt the in the morning but have had alot of good afternoon hunts.
    I have hunted the in all types of weather but I prefer nice mild no wind days or days with a lite drizzle of rain or snow.
    I use a 12 guage and 22lr mainly. however I do take a 410 or 20 gauge sometimes.
    No matter how you hunt them just get out there and enjoy it.

5. B_Price

B_Price Well-Known Member

Englishdawgs, where do you hunt them at? Im from Russellville and I have been going down off of dale bend road if you know the where abouts of that is.

6. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

I know that if I hunt early fall they hit Hickory Nuts on my place first. I usually have a few places near the Hickory of my choice and just wait. I hunt with an old Model 67 Winchester .22 single shot with just iron sights. I use .22 shorts and it's a head thumper. Like those little young ones.

I usually set up on the East side of the Hickory so I'm in the shadows. I then move to White Oak's then Red Oaks. The skurls I hunt prefer the white oaks over the red's and feed in the tree's till the leaves are gone. After most of the leaves are gone they skurry down the oaks as fast as they can and spend most of the time on the ground. You may catch one or two in the trees after the leaves are all gone but you better be a good shot because they'll be laying flat on those branches.

7. englishdawgs

englishdawgs Well-Known Member

Yeah I know where dale bend is. Its been a while but me and my stepdad used to hunt there all the time we went in on the ola/danville side off hwy 10 but the last time I was there they had cut the woods we used to hunt. We used to kill a bunch in there. I mostly hunt around my house on Hwy 80 I have some private land that is a creek bottom and then have access to all kinds of national forest but it is most mountains hard walking but good hunting when the tree rats are there. I also hunt some over around Mt Magazine. There is alot of squirrels around here this year so it has been good hunting.

8. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I go at daylight with a scoped 22 and slip into the woods and move quietly and slowly. Listening for barking or squealing, running feet in the leaves, scratching on bark or swaying limbs. and chips falling and chewing on nuts.
    I watch the ground and the trees formovement or stationary squirrels.
    I go to barking squirrels and the more squirrels I see the slower I move. If I don't see many I cover more ground to try and find a productive area. I rarely ever sit in one spot.
    On windy days I use a shotgun and move through the woods faster.

9. loki

loki Well-Known Member

Stick and move. 12 ga.

10. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

Me and a buddy usually use shotguns and start on either patch of woods. We only hunt mornings because it's usually too hot in the afternoon when we go in early season. I am fairly slow at walking through and he usually covers more ground and he usually comes out with more than I do too. Go figure. :biggrin:
    He is a little better at seeing the ones that aren't moving up in the trees. I use the listen method just as much as I don the watching. If I hear something rustle around I stop and scan. Usually don't set in one spot for longer than on minute unless I am watching a squirrel. If you do hunt with a shotgun, it is necessary to make a little noise and spook them into moving a little.

11. trashbag boogier

trashbag boogier Well-Known Member

run and mule kick the tree and wait for him to fall:punch::twak::fight::dead::eating::fit::fit:

12. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

dang near lost my big toe when one of those suckers fell out of a tree and latched on. :biggrin: That was the end of mule kicking trees.

13. trashbag boogier

trashbag boogier Well-Known Member

You know how rowdy I can be a squirrel has no chance :fit:

14. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

I hunt with .22mag.. Spot and stalk and daylight until I get my limit. Never hunted with a dog. Sounds fun though. Like coon hunting. Use to do a lot of that. I like the wind calm and better after a rain.

15. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

I like to slip though the woods with my (modified) 10/22 and snipe them from a good distance. Nothing better to me than cracking open a squirrel skull from 75 yards! :thumb:

16. AirForceHawg

AirForceHawg Well-Known Member

My secret method is to bring a .30-06, then wish I had a .22LR. My secret to deer hunting is to bring a .22LR and wish I had a .30-06.

17. Ringo08

Ringo08 Well-Known Member

I'v even went as far as sitting in my deer stand with orange on and bring a .22lr. Done it 3 or 4 times and limited out each time. I just shoot them then mark where they were and once I get the 8th one I climb down and pick them up. But here recently I have been taking my lab with me, and she has been doing pretty good. Trees about 3 or 4 every time we go. Treed 7 one day when it was a steady drizzle the whole day. Makes it quieter to walk through the woods and you can slip up on them easier.

18. jwill07w

jwill07w Well-Known Member

Early morning, calm wind preferably, watch tree tops, see squirrel and shoot. Move on to the next one until limit full. 12ga, 22lr what ever I have shells for at the time. Lots o fun with dogs tho, faster pace usually. Have fun be safe....

19. Gutshooter

Gutshooter Well-Known Member

as soon as the rain stops! Go time! Been raining for like three days straight one time, and it quit about 11 and I happened to be off work. I thought I would grab my .22 and see what I could come up with, I got a limit within 50 yds of the house.