Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Member<br>2017 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Season is fast approaching and I am in the mood to read some stories...What's the biggest bird you have ever taken? What State?? Give us some details of the hunt, pictures, or whatever you want to share.

I killed my biggest bird on opening morning 2012. It was 10:00 a.m. and I hadnt heard a bird all morning. I decided to drive to my other lease which was only a couple miles away a check a hayfield, were I had seen some birds in the past. I hadnt seen or heard a bird on this field all spring, but I figured I had nothing to lose. So I creep up to the edge of the field, and see nothing. I prob sit there for a few minutes looking, before I see this tom walk out from behind a tree only about 60 yards away. I was caught red handed, but the gun was already on the way up. Longest shot Ive ever made on a turkey. He never even flopped.

20 ibs, 12.25 inch beard, 1.25 spurs.

I would post a pic but im at work!

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
27 pounds 1 3/4" spurs 6" beard. I think his beard would have been longer but it was melted. and his breast feathers were singed. I guess he had been eating around a burn pile when the bugs ran out.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I really like that pic. All my pics are pretty much the same, bird fanned out in the yard with me behind it. You cant tell any difference unless my tshirt is a different color. I need to be creative.

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like that pic. All my pics are pretty much the same, bird fanned out in the yard with me behind it. You cant tell any difference unless my tshirt is a different color. I need to be creative.
Ya I have taken several pics with my turkeys next to this old barn. I really like it!

·
Registered
383 Posts
My biggest bird was 24lbs.with 8.5" beard and 1" spurs killed in crossville Tn.on my cousins hunting lease.Killed him at 20yds. With my browning bps.Have killed several with longer beards but they always seem to be around 20-22lb. range.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
27 1/2 lbs, 1 1/2 inch spurs, 11 inch beard. First trip I ever made to Kansas and my first Kansas bird. Almost took my bow but decided to try to get one under my belt with a gun first. Shot him at 7 steps. My best Arkansas bird was 24 lbs, 1 1/8 spurs, and had a 11 inch beard and a 7 1/4 inch beard. Killed him when I was 14 straight off the roost. My dad called him up.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I've killed a few 20 plus pounders with 1.25" spurs, couple double beards and even a triple beard but NONE of mine compare to the one my son killed in NE last year. I didn't have any scales but he was a heavy bird. 1 1/2" spurs a 6.5, 9.5, and 11" beards. He shot him at 12 steps. I'll never for it or any of the 9 he has killed for as long as I live. Anything I kill now is just a bonus.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Guess while I'm braggin' I'll add his first one... just a 2 yr old that came in late morning to make mine and his day after an early morning miss. Barnyard bird :biggrin:

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big Buck Down those are some great memories for sure. I cant wait till my son is old enough to chase them around with me. He just turned one, so I have a little while to wait yet.

Yall keep the pics and stories rolling!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The year was 2013, the place was Noxapater, MS. March 16 I believe. Huntn on in-laws land. Traipsed through the woods all day the day before. Nuthin. Not a peep. Found a whopping 3 turkey tracks. Dreadful. Did my due diligence and tried to put one to bed that evening. Still nothing. Up early the next morning, carefully picking my way down a fire lane in the dark. Bulllallllallla! I thought ok I'm hearing things. About a minute later BULLLALLLALLLA! I said to myself alright this is really happening. I creep towards the beast as he is gobbling every 2 minutes or so. Closer, closer, closer. Finally I think ok I'm gettin a little too close and I don't wanna spook this dude so I sit down by a pine tree on the edge of the hardwoods. Steadily gobblin every two minutes. Finally its getting light enough to see well and I spot him up in his tree maybe 70 yds away. No leaves yet so I watched him spin and gobble for what seemed like forever. He finally flies down and as soon as he hits the ground I give him a cackle. He gobbles and comes right at me. I move my boom boom to where I think we'll meet. A few steps later he was floppin with my foot on his head. I was so excited I took off back to the house in wrong direction. Took me an hour get back but that's ok. Weighed in at 21 lbs, 10 1\2 and 1 1/4 hooks that cut me pretty good as I was haulin him out. Not bad for a first turkey. Not sure I'll ever top them spurs... Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
684 Posts
My best was 24 3/4 lbs. with 1 1/2 hooks. Roosted the birds. Next morning slip in, set up my decoys and called softly.
I set my decoys up with a jake in the breeding position over a hen. When those toms saw them...they came a running. I shot the biggest one..as he flew up, standing on the top of the jake, hooking him with his spurs and beating him with his wings. He was doing his George Foreman imitation when he went to see Jesus.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts