Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 51-60 yards

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you bowhunt what is the average yardage you have taken deer. I'm interested to see the results because I bet most deer are taken very close to the hunter.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
11-20, I've actually let deer walk out to that range cause I don't like that steep angle shot of 10 and in, especially since I had the lower cam on my bow hit the rail around the stand.

·
Super Moderator
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
especially since I had the lower cam on my bow hit the rail around the stand.
I've had that happen to me as well. Luckily, I was just practicing from my climber at the house. When I shot my lower cam hit the rail on the stand and my bow lurched straight downward. I shot into the ground about 5 yards in front of the tree I was in. Thankfully, I wasn't drawn on a bruiser...:smack:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I try to keepem between 10 to 30yds i dont like anything closer or further.I practice shooting further to 55yds but i just like that zone.It makes me feel comfortable.I have let some walk by that were straight down and waited for a 15yd shot.I have 3 pins on mine for 10 25 and 50 and all i basically use is the 10 yard pin.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
I've had that happen to me as well. Luckily, I was just practicing from my climber at the house. When I shot my lower cam hit the rail on the stand and my bow lurched straight downward. I shot into the ground about 5 yards in front of the tree I was in. Thankfully, I wasn't drawn on a bruiser...:smack:
Unfortunately for me I was drawn on what I would consider a semi-bruiser....about 17" eight point and had pretty much the same shot results as you. :down:

·
Grand Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winne
3,277 Posts
That has also happened to me .2 nice 8 pts came in running on Oct1 a few years ago.Icame to full draw and was thinking this is to good to b true.Well it was hit the rail on my left side with cam on release.Almost lost my bow and my food.

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
I hit my stand with the bow the 1st buck I ever shot at.He did'nt run either[big nice ten point]he just looked at me while i shot @ the ground @ his feet.I was'nt sure where it hit so I got down to look.Well he came back and caught me at the base of the tree.I was shaking so hard I almost fainted!!!
I almost quit after that day,Almost.I wanted to at first.

I practice out to 30 but I hardly ever get a shot thet far,usually 11-20yds.

·
Super Moderator
10,867 Posts
well ive shot only shot and he was 8 steps. I had a nice 8 at 14 steps last year but my peep tube messed me up on him. Also when i with my climber i put the top rail bout 6 inches above the other so no matter what angle i have to shoot i can do it without hittin the rail

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
The reasons I love bowhunting! I've had my lower limb and cam hit the padded section of my climbing stand so many times. I prepare my stand to avoid it but how often do you get the perfect shooting situation? Other than the first time it happened, it's been because I had to lean, crouch, bend, or do something different to get a shot off. You know it's bad when the bow tries to jump out of your hand. I was so keyed up after missing a few seasons when I returned from Italy I actually did it twice one morning. Shooting at the same buck. Twice! Just because I had to stoop to get a shot off. Both shots went under the buck. 15 yards away.

Been bowhunting since the 70's and I guess I'm still not good enough to take 80 yard shots. My average is about 12 yards and I've taken about three dozen at that range.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
The reasons I love bowhunting! I've had my lower limb and cam hit the padded section of my climbing stand so many times. I prepare my stand to avoid it but how often do you get the perfect shooting situation? Other than the first time it happened, it's been because I had to lean, crouch, bend, or do something different to get a shot off. You know it's bad when the bow tries to jump out of your hand. I was so keyed up after missing a few seasons when I returned from Italy I actually did it twice one morning. Shooting at the same buck. Twice! Just because I had to stoop to get a shot off. Both shots went under the buck. 15 yards away.

Been bowhunting since the 70's and I guess I'm still not good enough to take 80 yard shots. My average is about 12 yards and I've taken about three dozen at that range.
Man ya better do what I did and buy a stand without any rails in the front. problem solved

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.