Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went bowfishing today and saw ducks of all kinds... paired mallards, gadwall and a bunch of ring-necks...... and of course enough coots to fill a chicken house!!!

I don't recall seeing this many ducks still hangin' around in mid-April. I'm sure they did, but I hit a spot today that I've spent a good bit of the last forty years on and never seen the ducks like I saw them this afternoon.

And stupid too!!! I didn't have a call of any kind and just did some quacks with my mouth and ducks came sailin' over the trees and swooped right in over me. The first bunch were 'jacks and the rest were mallards. They lit on the water less than 75 yds from where I was wading.

It's a long d--- way to duck season, but what I saw today was for sure a sight for sore eyes!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wish they would just stay here and nest. We have lost a lot of the CRP ground up north where they laid eggs last spring. The boys at DU say we need to get the word out that marginal farm ground is better for raising ducks and geese than corn — even if the markets are paying well. I just think that the ducks are still here because we've not gotten into a strong spring pattern yet. After all, if you had to fly to everywhere using your arms as the only means of transportation, you'd only go as far you had to as well. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We went back today and shot some more gar and there were even more ducks today! LOTS of BWT's, spoonies and I guess the same mallards, 'jacks and gadwall I saw yesterday.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.