Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know with many of these new chokes and hot loads on the market folks are bound to push the envelope when taking a shot from time to time.. What is to far to take a shot in your mind on a regular basis?? I know we've all taken those shots where we estimated 40 yards and it ended up being 50 yards and everything worked out, and my gun/load combo shows a good pattern out to 65-70 yards but there is no way I'd take a shot at that distance.. At what distance would you tell a guy hunting with you to hold off?? For me, I'd hold him off until the bird was inside 50 yards no matter who he was..

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
40 yards is as far as I want to shoot. My gun/choke combo will eat a target at that range. And even then it seems a long ways off. I like em close, 25 or less but sometimes it just won't happen like you want it to. I have sretched out to 56 steps once. I knew it was over 45 or close but when I stepped it off I was shocked. Glad my gun reached out that far but I hope they are all under 25 from now on. LOL

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I will shoot at one farther in a pasture than in the woods.I was told where I got my gun worked over to not let one walk off at 75 yards. But anything over 55 is gonna get a pass from me.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I killed one in 2010 in Kansas on video actually with HookedSpurs Browning gold with just a factory full choke & 3" Winchester #5's at 79 yards. Thought he was about 60 yards (Im a woods hunter & not use to judging distance in a wide open freshly disked field but it was one of those "this is as close as he's getting situations". If would have know he was that far I wouldn't have shot. Video was totally awesome though. Pellets started chewing the field up about 5-10 yards in front of him, hit him & he flipped upside down & started riding the bicycle!
That said like Buck my 3" Beneli is good out to 70 yards. I have shot probably 1/2 dozen to a dozen at 60+ yards, one in the woods in a wide open frailed pine lane at 64 yards (that was a super long shot in the woods) and really don't have a problem with it with my gun. Spent lots of time tweaking the gun/load. Forcing cones lengthened, custom angle porting choke just for hevi shot #6's and mainly cause I have seen what it does on the real thing and not paper at 60+ yards.
All that being said I shoot 90% of my turkeys at less than 15-20 yards. I like to watch em whiplash when I pull the trigger. My 10 year old boy has killed 9 gobblers in the last 4 years & with the exception of his 1st gobbler when he was 6 that he shot at 30 steps he has shot the last 8 big gobblers from 8 steps to the farthest was 18 steps. I want him to get to enjoy watching them come in and of course hunting here at home in the mountains a lot of times we don't see them till they are less than 20 yards it's so thick. Oh, and with his 20 gauge I wouldn't hesitate myself to shoot one at 50 yards if out in the open and needed to.....3" hevi shot blends or 3" hevi #7's are wicked in his 11-87.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I called up 3 a couple years ago and killed 2 of them at 69 steps(but, I have short stubby legs). I've seen a couple killed further then that. These were all "now or never" type situations and felt reasonably comfortable with gun. I prefer them 20-30 yards and as long as he's coming your way no reason to rush a far shot.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
40 yards maximum is what I would say...

People want to complain we don't have a good turkey population in Arkansas yet we are saying we have shot turkeys out to 60-70 yards. You may have killed one by "LUCK" at those distances but shoot that same distance 10 times and I bet your kill rate goes to maybe 20%.. How many times have people shot past 50 yards and did nothing but crippled a turkey only to have it go off and be coyote food....

Everyone has their own opinion on any topic to include shooting (at) gobblers at 60-70 yards but seriously, by you telling others "Oh I shot one at 74 steps one year" all you are doing is giving others the idea that maybe (with a stroke of luck) that they too can shoot out at that distance and kill one when in reality they most likely are only going to cripple one...

How about we instead work on our turkey calling skills and try to coax one into a more killable range?

·
Member-2018 Spring Team Turkey Contest Winner
684 Posts
40/45 tops! My gun is capable of further but I just don't do it, like mr.harris 20 yards is where I want to pull the trigger! Where I hunt in the piny woods of L.A I can't even see a turkey until he is less than 40 yards. If you got him on a string let him put his beak in the barrel! Boom!!!!

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Hey, alright! This thread went a solid 18 hours before the finger wagging started!:nono:
I'd say that's REALLY good for this site!:fit: In the waterfowl forum, that would have happened in 18 minutes. I'm really proud of us, and it further proves the theory that turkey hunters are more socially adept, well read, and better looking than duck hunters.

·
Registered
737 Posts
40 yards maximum is what I would say...

People want to complain we don't have a good turkey population in Arkansas yet we are saying we have shot turkeys out to 60-70 yards. You may have killed one by "LUCK" at those distances but shoot that same distance 10 times and I bet your kill rate goes to maybe 20%.. How many times have people shot past 50 yards and did nothing but crippled a turkey only to have it go off and be coyote food....

Everyone has their own opinion on any topic to include shooting (at) gobblers at 60-70 yards but seriously, by you telling others "Oh I shot one at 74 steps one year" all you are doing is giving others the idea that maybe (with a stroke of luck) that they too can shoot out at that distance and kill one when in reality they most likely are only going to cripple one...

How about we instead work on our turkey calling skills and try to coax one into a more killable range?
I agree that generally speaking 40-45 yards is a good range to try and limit yourself to. However, I have patterned my gun at further ranges and know what it does. There have been a couple of times I've stretched it a little further then I normally like to based on the situation I was in but definitely not on a regular basis.

·
Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner
1,118 Posts
I think it all depends on your gun and your confidence. I have taken the time to try different loads in my 3.5" 12 ga and my 3" youth model 20 ga. I killed a bird in KS a few yrs ago at 55 yds (by range finder). I knew what my gun would do out to 60 yds. on the same trip I held off of a longbeard at 70 waiting for him to hit 60. it didn't happen. looking back, I could have confidently killed him at 70. but the difference is it wasn't a stroke of luck. I had taken the time to know my gun and what it would do. my 20 ga is great at 50 yds and under the right conditions, I wouldn't hesitate for on that shot either. but if you don't what your gun will do at those ranges or have not set your gun up for those types of shots or situations then I wouldn't recommend taking them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts