Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the fps on different compound bows range from the mid to upper 200s all the way up to 310, 320+ range. What's the minimal fps to effectively kill a deer? What's overkill?

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Deer have been killed with recurve or long bows that shoot less than 200 feet per second, and I'm sure there are guys out there hunting with 320 fps bows, maybe even faster.

The thing with getting a super fast bow is getting the broadheads to fly well, which is the reason you see so many mechanical heads nowdays.

I think my bow shoots in the 260 fps range.

The main thing is to be able to draw your bow when it's really cold and be confident in what you have that you can make the shot and put the arrow where you want it, regardless of how fast it is. :up:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Put it where it belongs

Practice. Truly that is the key. Remembering the same feel from your practice when that deer walks into your sights, and follow through.

While I am shooting at 321 FPS with a 371 gr. hunting arrow. There have been plently of deer killed just a dead with a stick bow well under 200 fps. Put it where it belongs.:up:

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
I don't really think there is a right answer to your question. Slow and accurate kills deer, fast and accurate kills deer. Until you get into the slow enough not enough energy range, dead is dead no matter how fast the arrow goes through.

I liked a comment I heard from Harold Knight (of Knight and Hale) about 10 years ago. He was asked about all the new fangled fast bows on the market and how he felt about that kind of speed. He stopped, and in a way only a county boy can, said, "Well, I'm not opposed to it I suppose, but exactly how far into the ground do you need to drive a broadhead after it passes through a deer for it to be a successful shot?"

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I don't really think there is a right answer to your question. Slow and accurate kills deer, fast and accurate kills deer. Until you get into the slow enough not enough energy range, dead is dead no matter how fast the arrow goes through.

I liked a comment I heard from Harold Knight (of Knight and Hale) about 10 years ago. He was asked about all the new fangled fast bows on the market and how he felt about that kind of speed. He stopped, and in a way only a county boy can, said, "Well, I'm not opposed to it I suppose, but exactly how far into the ground do you need to drive a broadhead after it passes through a deer for it to be a successful shot?"
I agree with Harold:up: I can pull 80lbs and shot 320 or so but I prefer to pull 63 lbs and shot 263 fps I can be more accurate with that set up:up:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
The bow I am hunting with now shoot about 255 fps set up for hunting... supposed to be about 300 IBO ...

The bow I am considering upgrading to is about 323 IBO and shoots about 295 - 300 fps set up for hunting.

Newer bows , generally, get a little better % of fps between the IBO and Hunting set up than older bows ( efficiency ). That being said, like the others have stated ... how dead is dead ?? I have killed deer with bows shooting in the 210 fps range some 15 years ago ... still dead...

It all depends on what you want and expect out of your equipment. There is not a bow made that cannot be made to shoot dead on accurately. There is not a bow made that cannot shoot better than older ( 10+ years ) bows. It might be a little harder to dial the new , super fast, ones in .... but when you get them there they are wonderful.

Then again.... how dead is dead ??

MET

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I want to buy a compound some time. When I look online or in Redhead or Cabelas you see all the bold numbers jumping out at you (price, fps, letoff, axle to axle). I had no clue as to what was necessary and what was overkill. Sounds like you guys have plenty of experience shooting bows.

BT

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Like everyone else has said here, accuracy is the key. Speed don't mean anything if you miss. Also, I think there is something to be said for kinetic energy. You need some weight, in my opinion, in your arrows/broadheads to deliver that punch when it hits. Ted Nugent shoots 53 lbs.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
As stated "Put it where it belongs" but Just as important is a scary sharp Broadhead. I know guys that kill deer every year with logbows and recurves that shoot well below 200 fps. The trick is get the arrow where it needs to be with the shapest of sharp heads. My bow shoots 209 fps and most of the deer I shoot leave the arrow stuck in the grond on the far side. I used to be into the fastest bow I could get but now I just love shooting and hunting with my recurve.

Bottom line if you can't hit what you are aiming at a fast bow just makes you miss faster.

Boom

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What happens when deer "jump" an arrow? (if that's the right terminology) Is it due to a lack of velocity? would a higher velocity bow prevent this?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Ted Nugent is the man.
Yes he is! As far as jumping the string-I think that can be a combination of a few things: a bow that is too loud, not waiting until the deer is looking away (or at least not toward you), and not being concealed good in the stand. The deer may have "saw" you but aren't sure you are a threat but they are more nervous so at the first hint something is wrong, i.e. sound of the shot or movement by the archer, they react quicker than if they think everything is normal. With all that said, I think deer are like people in some aspects; some are just a lot smarter than others and may know something is up even in the best conditions.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
The only way more velocity would help was if you could increase your speed up to the speed of sound. Anything less wouldn't make much difference.

Lots of things enter in to them "jumping the string", being alert/spooked before the shot, loud bow, etc. Increasing the speed of the particular bow (raising poundage, lowering arrow weight) may make things worse because they also make the bow more noisy.

As a buddy of mine says, "you can't miss one fast enough to kill him"

hd

·
Registered
11,274 Posts
I hunt with recurve bows and arrows in the 600 grain weight range I'm sure I am below 200 fps. A sharp broadhead put in the right place will shoot through them. They don't jump the string if they aren't looking at you when you shoot. I've put an arrow through both shoulder blades and ribs on both sides with a 60 pound recurve and a 2 blade bh. that shoots below 200.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.