Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Member Forum Sponsor 2011 Turkey Contest Winner
11,003 Posts
I like to start listening the 2nd week of march. They should be in the same general area unless something runs them out...but I wouldn't count on them to be in the same tree you heard him in middle of march on Opening day.

· Registered
9,319 Posts
I like to start listening the 2nd week of march. They should be in the same general area unless something runs them out...but I wouldn't count on them to be in the same tree you heard him in middle of march on Opening day.
x2 Listenting any earlier hasn't been productive for me. You can find the areas they are using and roosting by mid March and narrow it down more in the week to two weeks proceeding the season.

· Registered
5,719 Posts
Mid to late February just to hear them gobble for me, but I don't put much stock in that location being the same come season. It seems now time doesn't allow for me to spend as much early listening as in the past. I think the increase in daylight time per day is the driving force, more so than weather, so as the days begin to get longer and longer they will start gobbling more. I always enjoy hearing them gobble at any time, but those gobbles later in March when you know he's got "it" on his mind are the best. It seems they put a little more effort into it.

· Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner<br>2
6,296 Posts
I heard 2 Monday morning... just 3 gobbles though. My brother heard one gobble 16 times this morning. I told him it was probably hollering for help because it was frozen to the limb, being that it was 25 degrees. :fit:

· Registered
106 Posts
Around here in Ouachita and Calhoun countys they will gobble alot in end of Febuary first of March but they wont be there when season opens, they'll be in a freezer somewhere. These guys around here start killing them when they start gobbling and dont quit till they stop gobbling. You could hear 5 0r 6 on a small lease down the road last year, but about a week before season they all left or got carried off one or the other.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.