whats the best .270 bullets?

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by anglerwilson, Nov 26, 2012.

1. I shoot Remington core lokts 130 grain .270 bullets and im not pleased. All i hunt is white tail what kind do you think is the best?

2. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

What type of gun you using?

I have a Rem. 270wsm 7400 and shoot 150gr Remington Core-Lok. I have yet seen a deer run from them. Now have a buddy that has a .270 Winchester and he tried core-loks with poor results. My 30/30 salvage doesn't like them.

3. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

Remington Core-Lokts 130 gr. are what I use in my 270 Rem Mdl. 7400 and I reload. What is it you don't like about those shells?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  4. Im shooting a mossburg .270 i bought a new box and it has duds in it.

5. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

Contact Remington in Lonoke and discuss it with them. They will probably replace any ammo you are having trouble with. :thumb:

6. Hillbillydriller

Hillbillydriller Well-Known Member

7. brent19881

brent19881 Well-Known Member

x2

8. Wes Ramsey

Wes Ramsey Well-Known Member

I've used this bullet in reloads as well and have had great success. Not the best bullet out there, but you're not paying for the best either. Regardless, 'duds' are unacceptable. I would believe it's the rifle having issues before the ammo, but both can have issues. I'd try to fix a potential gun issues before switching ammo.

9. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

Most folks like the 130s best as an all around .270 Win bullet, but 150s seem to group better in my gun.

I have only had my .270 less than a year, but before I worked up my handloads this summer those Remington Core-lokt 130s killed two does with one shot last winter. They lined up and the bullet passed through them both, dropping them DRT.

I can't imagine that bullet not working well on Arkansas sized bucks.

My current .270 hunting load is 57 grs of H4831c pushing a Speer Deep Curl 150 gr pointed bullet. This is a long, heavy for caliber type bullet that usually proves to be more accurate for me.

10. jdoyle

jdoyle Well-Known Member

Marion
    Hornady 130 Gr SP InterLock

11. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

Winchester Power-Points....130 or 150 gr. Been shooting them for years and been happy with both.

12. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    I've shot Remington Core Lokts in my '06 and my 30/30 for ages, and I've never had any complaints with them.
    I bought a .270 Winchester Featherweight off a member this summer. He included some 140gr Winchester Accubonds, which he told me grouped the best for him. I tried 130gr Core lokts and Federals at the range, and it did like the Accubonds the best, but the other 2 werent terrible. Those Accubonds arent cheap, so I'm not sure if I'll stick with them or not.

13. huntnfishar

huntnfishar Well-Known Member

I shoot a Moss-berg 270 as well and had the same problem with Remington ammo. I did two things and one or both corrected it.
    #1 - switched to Winchester 130 grain ammo.
    #2 - Broke down the bolt and give it a good cleaning and re-oil it lightly with a good gun oil.

After doing these items I have not had another misfire "dud" in three years and I am much happier with the performance of the weapon.

14. dkhern

dkhern Well-Known Member

i agree w/wes more likely gun than ammo imo. way too many choices to recomment ammo for a given gun alllllll guns are indivuals gotta see what yours likes

15. dognhogs

dognhogs Well-Known Member

SWA
    i shoot a browning a bolt 270. and have tried several bullets the most fatal and trusting ones ive shot would be the 150g Sellier and Bellot bullets. I guess they may be a unusual shell but i sure do like em.

16. deer14

deer14 Well-Known Member

Hornady / good knock down power/ real happy with em/ liked the 140 & 130 grain/ hard find 140 now.:jiggy2:

17. bdgarne

bdgarne Well-Known Member

I use core lokt 150 grain in my Remington 700 .270. I don't deer hunt just a whole lot but that bullets has hammered em every time I pulled the trigger. I have no complaints

18. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    130 gr Winchester PowerPoint through the shoulder kills like the Hammer of Thor. I've got a lot of deer rifles, but if someone challenged me to drop a deer in its tracks at 300 yards I'd pick my Ruger 270 with 130 gr powerpoints every time. Accurate as well.

19. Da Duke

Da Duke Well-Known Member

Hornady 130 Superformance GMX
    Barnes 130 TSSX

20. lil froggy

lil froggy Well-Known Member

130gr Winchester PowerPoints. 2 shots this season=2 dead deer.