Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching a long beard work his way across a pasture to you. Having a longbeard gobble right in your face while runnin and gunnin,or having one slip in behind you and gobble while you have your gun up and pointed straight ahead.

·
Premium Member
26,171 Posts
Most exciting for me is having one work through the woods towards you - where you can't see him but you can hear him gobble and drum. You can't really tell how far he is, or if he is still there, or where he is going to all of a sudden appear.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Only killed a few turkeys....the last one was using a fan to hide behind with a gobble call....he was running full speed at me,when I shot him at 8 yds. Would have been even more exciting...if I had missed.

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
I worked one for over three hours in the woods on a mountain top. Let him back off and changed positions and called him back, he bought the farm at 5:15 and 24 steps. Four birds gobbled well over 200 times that evening.

Worked one in Texas off the roost and called him off his hens after an hour and half of pleading, 12 steps and he was hammered without hardly a flop. Must have been 15 birds gobbling that morning from the cliffs across the river. That is my favorite choir.

Shot one in KS that walked by us at 2 steps as we hid in the honeysuckle, when he turned his back strutting I swung around and shot him at 6 steps. Gobbled his head off and was determined to beat the other gobbler to the scratchy voiced hen, he did.

Called one to within 52 steps and watched him spin in a little spot of sunlight for 2 hours, gobbling and drumming. During that time I moved from my right arm to my left and slid up the tree so I could rest my gun on my knee. Never fired a shot that morning but man it was great.

Called the same bird up for my nephew the day before to 25 yards but he couldn't get on it. His smile after the bird ran off was worthy every ache from tramping up and down the mountain that morning.

Killed one in KS in a 40 mph wind after watching my buddy sprint across the field trying to catch the strutter decoy. Decoy made it 100 yards, gobbler made it 40.

To me if they gobble and come in, its all good. If they drum and come in silent, its all good. I killed one years ago that never gobbled and never drummed but when he got to the hen decoy he went into strut and I could not bring him out. I did everything but throw my hat in the air and finally gave up and shot him in strut. Even when I never squeeze the trigger, if I have got to work one a little, make him gobble a little, hear him drum once or twice, I have had a great day.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
I like hearing them crunching the leaves and drumming before I can see them.....truth is I'll take a longbeard any chance I get--I even shoot 2yr olds

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Most exciting for me is having one work through the woods towards you - where you can't see him but you can hear him gobble and drum. You can't really tell how far he is, or if he is still there, or where he is going to all of a sudden appear.
X2. When they go quiet, but you hear them coming in the leaves is intense!!! Definitely hunting woods for me.

·
Member<br>2016 Turkey Contest Team Winner<br>
595 Posts
I've killed birds in fields and in the woods. When a bird is coming toward you in the woods but you can't see him yet and he goes quiet then you start hearing the drumming is about more than I can stand. Good stuff!

·
Ultimate Member
32,306 Posts
as long as it ends with me stepping on his head I don't care about how it happened, lol.

But that may be do to the fact that last year was my first year to kill a turkey. I LOVED IT.

·
Premium Member
8,703 Posts
I like it best when I hear them fly down off the roost and gobble, and then gobble 30 seconds later 1/2 as far as they were on the roost.

THEN, I have a chance

·
Member<br>2017 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner
829 Posts
I prefer running and gunning, and gobbling in my face. But in my area that hasnt happened in a few years. I have to sneak up on all the birds now, B/C the birds in my area will hardly even gobble, by the time season comes in.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts