Arkansas Hunting banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,890 Posts
The one I have has 2 different sized openings. I practiced filling with the MSR water filter I'm borrowing from my father in law and it worked well. Filling from a regular water bottle or spigot is easy peasy.
I guess that's where I'm getting lost in this. I thought y'all were debating the virtues of bladder vs water bottle. But if you have to have a bottle to fill up a bladder, I can't see the use other than extra capacity. Forgive my ignorance. I do most of my hunting out of my truck or ranger so I just reach in the ice chest and grab something to drink.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
I guess that's where I'm getting lost in this. I thought y'all were debating the virtues of bladder vs water bottle. But if you have to have a bottle to fill up a bladder, I can't see the use other than extra capacity. Forgive my ignorance. I do most of my hunting out of my truck or ranger so I just reach in the ice chest and grab something to drink.
I dont think I've ever filled mine in the field. Usually filling it back at camp with a Nalgene bottle. I think it could be done... I'm pretty sure I remember filling those old Platypus water carriers in streams if you hold em just right, but I've killed a lot of brain cells since then.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
Sounds like everybody is toting around water filters in their daypacks. I hate to say this so firmly, but... your doing it wrong. These cost $8 on Amazon, and they take up no room in your pack. Filters clog. Even if you like a filter, keep these around for backup. Take these in your pack, let the filter/steripen/etc at camp.

·
Super Moderator
9,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Well for us on this hunt there may well not be a lot of water around away from our tank in camp to begin with. We will have to see....they have been very dry and under fire restrictions all summer. I'm taking the water filter (MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter) as it's free (borrowing) small, light, and has a hose I can chuck out into the water source and it WILL fill my hydration bladder directly. I have the water bottle for Elytes as I do not want to drink the elyte water all day. Whether or not I carry that bottle empty or filled...it will depend. Empty it weighs nothing and I can fill it for mixing with the Liquid IV packets when I want. I can fill it from my hydration bladder (can turn the hose mouthpiece to full pour) or the water filter from a water source.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
if you are going to filter you must let the water settle out the sediment. many streams have enough sediment to clog a filter with one use. BTDT

i have even packed in a 12v pump and a battery to filter and it was useless after 2 days. we learned to make a way for the water to collect and set for hours so the filter would work. finally gave up i and went to tablets.

at a tank you wont have a problem with the filter. but after watching animals splash in it you might add tablets after filtering. grin

i have filtered out of some muddy cow tracks when i was desperate.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Sounds like everybody is toting around water filters in their daypacks. I hate to say this so firmly, but... your doing it wrong. These cost $8 on Amazon, and they take up no room in your pack. Filters clog. Even if you like a filter, keep these around for backup. Take these in your pack, let the filter/steripen/etc at camp.
Steripen is: A) Smaller than the two pill bottles B) the only thing 100% proven to kill everything, and C) not a harmful chemical/pill with warnings

everything else is 99.9% or less. UV light is the only thing that will 100% kill everything. my first recommendation is the steripen and a nalgene. if you run a bladder though the sawyer/straw type filter is the way to go unless its going to be less than 32 degrees where the straws will burst. at that point i would then suggest aquamira

also i dont want the chlorine/iodine farts

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
Steripen is: A) Smaller than the two pill bottles B) the only thing 100% proven to kill everything, and C) not a harmful chemical/pill with warnings

everything else is 99.9% or less. UV light is the only thing that will 100% kill everything. my first recommendation is the steripen and a nalgene. if you run a bladder though the sawyer/straw type filter is the way to go unless its going to be less than 32 degrees where the straws will burst. at that point i would then suggest aquamira

Agreed. Steripen is not a filter. I leave my Steripen at camp, but it's an older one and pretty big. I love it. Water tastes better, it's easy, and I have yet to run into battery issues.
I've had the old MSR Sweetwater clog up in the Boundary Waters and had to use my iodine backup until I could get to town and buy a new cartridge.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts

As to your point C: If I am lucky enough to spend enough time in my life in the mountains that I eventually succumb to death/illness because of Water purification pills; then I lived a damn good life.

·
Registered
10,268 Posts
Interior design Window Floor Flooring Picture frame

I’m not toting him in my pack but I used Gabe as a weight test on the pack. He’s 50lbs, got him strapped in and pack all adjusted. Carried his weight pretty easily, i figure i could go another 20 lbs before it started feeling heavy. I’m not planning on tossing 100+ pounds of meat on my back, I’ll make 3 or 4 trips if needed. I don’t think i can haul an 80+ pound pack on my back like i could 10 years ago.

·
Registered
Bow
8,141 Posts
Ok...So if you and 1 other person are hiking out from camp daily to archery elk hunt...and you plan to be out hiking/hunting from dawn to dinner time...What do you carry in your packs?

I have a list I've been thinking about but I'd like to hear some of what others carry. Of course we will each have 3 liters of water plus a 24oz bottle with eLytes each. And...I'll have either a life straw or the actual little filtering system in case. We will pack plenty of snacks and a lunch. We will have binos on harness, cell phones and spare battery packs. maps downloaded. Area is under stage I & II fire restrictions so no open flame/campfires allowed.

Also:
-First aid kit (with advil, immodium etc also)
-rain jacket
-elk calls, (he will have bow etc)
-knives
-a couple of game bags/gloves (ever the optimist)
-CC gun
-Space blankets and paracord to rig a shelter
-compass

What else?
DON’T FORGET TOILET PAPER!!!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.