Arkansas Hunting banner

3741 - 3760 of 3765 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,563 Posts
I started wet curing a venison shoulder last night. Gonna smoke & glaze it like a ham on Monday.
Pictures to come....
Here are the pictures. Loin and sweet meat are off the smoker and turned out great. The shoulder has a few more minutes and it is smelling great. I am wondering how I will slice it up?

IMAG3880.jpg
IMAG3882.jpg
IMAG3883.jpg

View attachment 295560

·
Premium Member
18,563 Posts
Here is the shoulder. It tastes like ham but has no fat. There is no "gamey" taste at all. I am freezing it for now and will use the meat in other recipes. I am calling it a success in that it tastes like a smoked ham. It would be good sliced thin and fried in butter and eaten with eggs (breakfast). It will also be real good in a pot of beans. The wet cure penetrated the shoulder entirely in 4 days. It would take a little longer with a thick back ham.
IMAG3887.jpg

·
Premium Member
18,563 Posts
What was your cure jb
3 gallons of water
3 teaspoons of #1 prague powder (do not use #2 powder for this process).
1 cup of kosher salt. (if I was doing a thicker piece of meat, I would use 2 cups of kosher salt).

I mix it all together and put it in a very clean ice chest (use whatever container you have that will fit in your fridge). The meat has to be completely submerged. I have used this cure a few times on natural hams (pork) and it works very well. For a thicker cut of meat, I would do a 5 to 7 day soak.

Here is the link to the original recipe: How To Make A Cured Smoked Ham From Scratch

·
Registered
25,799 Posts
IMG_7969.jpg

This is it. Normally I HATE Greek yogurt, but it’s good in this. Only thing I might do to tweak it is add a bit more garlic, but I’m a garlic lover so take that for what it’s worth.

·
Registered
25,451 Posts
Y'all all give me hope.

Lately, every commercial (that's not for some new pharmaceutical) is for Tovolo, Hello Fresh, FreshnLean, and the list is literally 20 or 40 companies long.

First, who has the money it'd take to eat every meal? Second, what happens if I'm gone for 2 hours, and it spoils on my front porch? Third, if it's frozen so it'll keep, why is it hyped as being Fresh? Fourth, doesn't anyone cook anymore?? This HAS to get old soon.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Fried chicken, collard greens and corn bread.
View attachment 295815 View attachment 295816
Wasn't it you that was doing the deer steak with the Louisiana Wing Sauce? I started using it on my fried chicken too. I'll toss my chicken pieces in that wing sauce and then roll them in flour. Then back into the wing sauce for another toss. Then back into the flour for a double breading. I skillet fry my chicken in a cast iron with a little oil. Like I do deer steak. Man, it's the best fried chicken I've ever made. Got a little kick to it. My whole family absolutely loves it cooked that way.

·
Registered
23,777 Posts
Wasn't it you that was doing the deer steak with the Louisiana Wing Sauce? I started using it on my fried chicken too. I'll toss my chicken pieces in that wing sauce and then roll them in flour. Then back into the wing sauce for another toss. Then back into the flour for a double breading. I skillet fry my chicken in a cast iron with a little oil. Like I do deer steak. Man, it's the best fried chicken I've ever made. Got a little kick to it. My whole family absolutely loves it cooked that way.
Yes it was and I defiantly thought about doing that but I didn't. Used buttermilk instead.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Y'all all give me hope.

Lately, every commercial (that's not for some new pharmaceutical) is for Tovolo, Hello Fresh, FreshnLean, and the list is literally 20 or 40 companies long.

First, who has the money it'd take to eat every meal? Second, what happens if I'm gone for 2 hours, and it spoils on my front porch? Third, if it's frozen so it'll keep, why is it hyped as being Fresh? Fourth, doesn't anyone cook anymore?? This HAS to get old soon.
We do Hello Fresh in the fall/winter and I love it. In the spring and summer I cook on the grill most everynight but when its cold and dark early it gives us things to cook indoors. And we have adapted lots of the recipes to wild game. Don't knock it until you try it. And our grocery bill actually went down more than enough to cover the cost because we werent wasting anything any more. I had miso-soy beef and shredded carrots over rice with a siracha-mayo last night and it was fantastic.

3741 - 3760 of 3765 Posts