Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to decide on which one these to add to my collection anyone got any suggestions. Thanks :thumb:

AR-15 type rifle
AK-47 type rifle
Ruger 10/22

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,564 Posts
I've been trying to decide on which one these to add to my collection anyone got any suggestions. Thanks :thumb:

AR-15 type rifle
AK-47 type rifle
Ruger 10/22
AK-47 has a sound all it's own....put chills all up and down a fellers spine! It's got a clumsy sort of bullet, it tumbles upon impact!:eek: :bolt:

·
Administrator
89,107 Posts
If you are not going to war try the 10/22. Much cheaper to shoot if the gun control idiots don't get into the White House. :thumb:
As much of an AR and AK fan as I am, I have to agree with Syl. You can buy 550 rounds for less than $12. Shooting doesn't get any cheaper than that unless you get free ammo. 5.56 ammo will run you anywhere from 5 to 15 dollars per 20 rounds. 7.62 ammo will run probably at least 4 dollars or so for 20 rounds. If you don't reload, ammo costs will prevent you from getting the full enjoyment from the AR and AK style guns.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I've kinda thought that this might be used in a survival type situation. I like the idea of the larger caliber's, and there is something about those two that I really like, I guess it's just a guy thing, but with that 10/22 I figured a guy could really stock up on ammo cheap. Plus I figured that you could also sling enough lead in the direction of an attacker with a 10/22 if you needed to. It could also be used for hunting as well. I figured that it would be pretty easy for someone who doesn't have a whole lot of experience with guns (my wife for example.) to handle as well, not much recoil, or too loud., etc. I don't know if this would factor in on your opinions or not. Thanks again. :up:

·
Administrator
89,107 Posts
I thought about this some more. One consideration is that the AR/AK style rifles could very well be banned depending on the outcome of the presidential elections this fall. The AR style is the hottest rifle on the market right now. Lots of dealers say that the AR's fly off the shelves as soon as they come in. If you can't spring the price of a complete rifle, you could always pick up a stripped lower receiver or 2. This is the "firearm" as it has the serial number on it. They run anywhere from $100 on up. This will at least allow you to have the regulated part if legislation goes south.

Since the AR is a 22 caliber rifle, you can get a 22 rimfire insert or a complete 22LR upper receiver and shoot 22LR in your AR style rifle. I have a M261 rimfire adaptor that I use in my AR's. Since a 22LR usually has a 1-16 twist and most AR's have eigher a 1-9 or 1-7 twist, they usually don't give pinpoint accuracy, but mine gives minute of squirrel at 30 yards. Any time I go to the range, I take one of the AR's. The 22 adaptor allows trigger time without the expense of shooting centerfire ammo.

M261's are now running around $200 whereas the rimfire uppers run in the neighborhood of $350 and up. When I picked my M261 up a few years ago, I gave $70 for it.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,564 Posts
For a small or big for that matter....war......I'd get the AK-47...one shot may not kill instantly, but it will certainly incapacitate each attacker!

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
You left off C) all of the above!

I just bought another AR stripped lower for $110.00, and I may never build that rifle, but I'll have it if I want to later. That part (reciever) you must buy from a licensed dealer, but you can mail order every bit of the rest of the rifle/carbine.

I also plan to start stocking lots and lots of .22's. I haven't run into the deals that Mr. C has yet, but I'm on the hunt. Those may become a form of currency at some point!

Back in the mid 90's I was all hot to buy an AR, but the Clinton-era legistlation drove the price up beyond my reach. Well, here we are on the cusp of another election. AR prices are about as low as they're liable to get, so now's your chance! If you wait untill after the election, it may be too late!

·
Registered
623 Posts
i love my AK. but the the 10/22 is much more economical in terms of ammo. however, if i was going to have the money for an AR (lets say a "cheaper" model so that is at least 600$), I would buy a WASR 10 (romanian AK) and a 10/22. the ARs are cool and accurate, but to me they are just cost prohibitive.

luke:flag:

·
Registered
873 Posts
As much as I would like to have an AR (it is very high on my list) I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet. I do have an AK and a 10/22, they both are a ton of fun to shoot and tinker with. If I were to choose from your list I'd take the AK and the 10/22 for the same or less money than the AR. If I could choose only one and had the money it would be the AR.

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
I would have got an AK-47 when I picked out my end of the world party, but I was also afraid that if the election went south they would have been banned, so I chose the AR-15, Bushmaster O.R.C. Its a blast to shoot, we fired 300~ rounds through it today, ears still ringing. Currently at the Batesville Wal-Mart, they have 100 bulk packs of Federal 55gr. FMJ's for $39.00.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
....we fired 300~ rounds through it today, ears still ringing.....
Brother F909, man I'm not trying to run your business but if you want to keep your ears to use when you're older you need to wear some sort of hearing protection. :frown:

I know this from experience because when I was growing up we never used hearing protection and I've lost 60% of my hearing in my left ear (I shoot right handed). Any time your ears ring it means you've suffered some hearing damage, and it will never come back. :teach:

.270Win

·
Registered
623 Posts
i still say that for what an AR costs, i would buy a.....The Dragunov SVD

the power of a mosin nagant 91/30 and an action very similar to the AK 47. 7.62x54R ammo is still very economical (and powerful). on gun broker they run between 750$ to 1200$.

the SVD is a mac-daddy:jiggy2::lol:

luke:up:

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
.270....WHAT????, I didnt hear ya! :) I picked up some the next day, kind of cheapos but I did use them at the Sylamore shooting range today, really blocked alot, and no ringing afterwards.

JR, did you ever decided which end of the world rifle to go with?

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
.270....WHAT????, I didnt hear ya! :) I picked up some the next day, kind of cheapos but I did use them at the Sylamore shooting range today, really blocked alot, and no ringing afterwards.

JR, did you ever decided which end of the world rifle to go with?

I am really wanting an AR-15 (bad), but I'm having to try and come up with the funds for it. However after reading the post about the cost of the .223 ammo. I might reconsider and maybe go for the AK-47 instead. I keep hearing everyone say if I want to get one of those that I had better do it before November, so I'm hoping that maybe by the end of the summer I can afford to get one of those two. If not then I will probably end up going with the 10/22.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.