Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opening day of modern gun season is this Saturday, the 13th. What will your opening morning of gun season (if you hunt with a gun) look like? What caliber will you be hunting with? And, if you wanna get real technical, what does your gun setup consist of? I will be shooting a 3/4 oz slug out of a Mossberg Bantam. 20 gauge. Let’s hear what everybody ‘s morning will look like!😌.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I’ll be sitting in the back bedroom of our cabin with my kids playing around while the wife hunts her stand. I’ll either be using a savage 112 magnum in 338 Lapua or a TC Encore in 257 roberts ackley improved, probably take them both and see what happens when a deer walks by. My little girl with be there with her (my) Remington 700 magpul hunter in 260 so she can shoot a doe if one walks by.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ll be sitting in the back bedroom of our cabin with my kids playing around while the wife hunts her stand. I’ll either be using a savage 112 magnum in 338 Lapua or a TC Encore in 257 roberts ackley improved, probably take them both and see what happens when a deer walks by. My little girl with be there with her (my) Remington 700 magpul hunter in 260 so she can shoot a doe if one walks by.
Good luck to you all! I will be using a 20 gauge Mossberg Bantam with a rifled barrel, shooting Brenneke 3/4 oz K.O. slugs. If I sit a different stand where i will be shooting over 75 yards, I will use a Ruger .243 shooting Winchester 100 gr. Power Points! I think it’s going to be bad for the deer whichever gun I end up using! Haha!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I'll be working the first 3 days of gun season. Haven't missed many in the last 40 something years but sadly this is one of them. Good thing is our lease will have sit idle for a couple of weeks letting the deer move freely.

·
Registered
28,665 Posts
Well...technically I dont really deer hunt. What I do is sit in the woods with a gun.

I will most likely be carrying Jack O'Conner's favorite cartridge, .270, inside the bosom of "Sweetness".....my Tikka T3 in stainless barrel and pepper laminated stock, sporting a Leopold VXr in 4x12x40.

I'll have Hornady Interlock 130 grain cartridges with SPF powder. Those are now obsolete.....possibly because I bought them all.

There us some remote possibility I will shoot (at) a deer. Depends on the weather.

First, I have to live another week.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I’ll be in the stand sleeping, hoping the new feeder I put out yesterday will bring the deer closer to me.
I’ll be using the 6.5 creedmore with 143 grain bullets.
Dad is taking his 7mag and AR chambered in .308, but I think he’s going to try and stick with just using the .308.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ll be high on a mountain, public land in Johnson County. Orange army will be out in force but I don’t care.
Will either have a Rem Model 7 in 308 Or a Ruger Model 77 in 280. Or 7 Mag. Or maybe even the little 243.
I like rifles.
I can tell you like rifles! I would do the .308 or the .243. But if you are hunting in thick, brushy terrain go with the .308! Good luck!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’ll be in the stand sleeping, hoping the new feeder I put out yesterday will bring the deer closer to me.
I’ll be using the 6.5 creedmore with 143 grain bullets.
Dad is taking his 7mag and AR chambered in .308, but I think he’s going to try and stick with just using the .308.
That 6.5 Creedmoor is a nasty round! It’s awesome! A deer-slaying machine! Good luck! And you dad gets a good luck too!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll be working the first 3 days of gun season. Haven't missed many in the last 40 something years but sadly this is one of them. Good thing is our lease will have sit idle for a couple of weeks letting the deer move freely.
That’s good! Good luck! Maybe work will let up!

·
Premium Member
31,016 Posts
Well...technically I dont really deer hunt. What I do is sit in the woods with a gun.

I will most likely be carrying Jack O'Conner's favorite cartridge, .270, inside the bosom of "Sweetness".....my Tikka T3 in stainless barrel and pepper laminated stock, sporting a Leopold VXr in 4x12x40.

I'll have Hornady Interlock 130 grain cartridges with SPF powder. Those are now obsolete.....possibly because I bought them all.

There us some remote possibility I will shoot (at) a deer. Depends on the weather.

First, I have to live another week.
Can't hide money..

1 - 20 of 119 Posts