Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the day before and after November 15 ;) what days are you picking for your rutcation this year?
Moon will be full on Halloween this year. Does that factor into your decision?

·
Premium Member
14,717 Posts
The last 3 years the first week and half of rifle season has been unreal chasing in my area.

·
Member<br>2016 Turkey Contest Team Winner<br>
2,649 Posts
My favorite week to hunt is the last week of October, particularly the 27th. I've killed a ton of deer during that week and it seems the rut is usually on fire in the places I hunt. When I use to live down south and hunted Trusten Holder all the time I always liked the week of and the week after Christmas. I guess it all depends on the area you're hunting and what you've seen in previous years as far as rut activity.

·
Registered
23,747 Posts
Well here we go.

It depends on what you think the rut is. I have asked that before here, and gotten answers all over the board.

I define the rut as when the does stand for the bucks. In our lease, that's almost always right after Thanksgiving. This is based on verified visual evidence, year after year.

But I've also seen, first hand, recently born fawns wandering around the week of Christmas.

But a lot of folks say "the rut is on" first time they see a scrape.

I don't believe the moon or the weather has any trigger effect on the rut.

·
Premium Member
25,702 Posts
If I am bow hunting, I like last week Oct/first week of Nov - white oak acorns are usually thick then, weather is cooling, bucks getting worked up and are still somewhat pattern-able. For gun hunting - first week of MG bucks are usually chasing - hunt where you can see a distance and see bucks cruising and chasing - but not the best time to be bow hunting.

In my opinion, those are not the best times to kill a big buck, though.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Well here we go.

It depends on what you think the rut is. I have asked that before here, and gotten answers all over the board.

I define the rut as when the does stand for the bucks. In our lease, that's almost always right after Thanksgiving. This is based on verified visual evidence, year after year.

But I've also seen, first hand, recently born fawns wandering around the week of Christmas.

But a lot of folks say "the rut is on" first time they see a scrape.

I don't believe the moon or the weather has any trigger effect on the rut.
Fawns at Christmas? That means the doe would be bred in May?

·
Registered
634 Posts
In my opinion, those are not the best times to kill a big buck, though.
Same- I’ll take the first week of December in my area. Not to say some don’t get waxed in November..... but it’s usually not the result of someone patterning them. He just happened to walk by someones shooting lane.

·
Registered
23,747 Posts
Yes. A guy told me as he left, that there was a 1 week old fawn standing in the road. He couldn't see Mama. I told him he was nuts.

Next day, I left. This is week of Christmas a few years ago. I got about 100 yards (we're 1/2 mile down county road from paved highway) down the road, and there was this fawn in the ditch. I got out and she/he just stood there. I couldn't see Mama. Clearly, this was a wobbly small, just born recently fawn. Blew me away.

And yeah, bred in May.

Our deer are crazy. Always have been, don't follow many 'established' rules. New members seldom believe that, but after a year or two, they do. LOL. Beats me.

No, that isn't normal for even our crazy place. That was flabbergasting. But it happened.

·
Premium Member
12,400 Posts
If I were going to seriously hunt for a week in NWA where I am, it would be the week of Halloween every year. Seems we often get a cold snap and the pre rut is usually starting up pretty good. Bucks are up looking and prepping. Scrapes tend to be a bit more consistent.

The pre and post rut is what you want to hunt. Like BR pointed out, the actual rut is when does are standing a lot of bucks are on lockdown with a doe. Less movement.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
B63E8F88-C170-45E2-AE02-1C2E73D507C7.jpeg

I used to think around the first of November, but after getting this pic the other day I’m thinking it must be in February.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts