Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Manybeards;392598 99%of bucks people think are genitically challenged are just young deer or have some sort of injury in which they will recover from the following year.[/QUOTE said:
Would you come to our deer club meeting next month a tell some people in our club this??? It kills me to hear people talk about deer that are brought into camp say "that deer needed to be shot, because of blah blah" The 6 point i killed this year was 15 inches wide, symetical rack, 2.5 year old deer, and people told me they were glad i shot it because it was cull..........just because it did not not have eyeguards :smack:

This is the reason I would never support any cull buck regulation, and I will not support it when our club wants to get some cull buck tags under DMAP. There are not many people who can determine if a buck should be culled or not, and your just going to blow away your future bucks.

·
Administrator
41,076 Posts
There are not many people who can determine if a buck should be culled or not, and your just going to blow away your future bucks.
There arent many that can tell the difference between a 12" spread and a 13" spread either which is why I dont like the idea of spread restrictions.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Personally, I don't remember a whole lot of talk about width restrictions at the Camden meeting. Seems to me like there was a lot of support for 3 point rule, 4 point rule, one buck of choice then 4 point rule for second buck, but not much talk about width restrictions. However, I've slept 2 or 3 times since then so I could be wrong.

I am not in favor of width restrictions in zone 12. :down:

Does anyone still have the "dot" report from the Camden meeting? I had computer problems in December and I lost all of my emails prior to 12/21/07. :frown:

.270Win

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,272 Posts
Personally, I don't remember a whole lot of talk about width restrictions at the Camden meeting. Seems to me like there was a lot of support for 3 point rule, 4 point rule, one buck of choice then 4 point rule for second buck, but not much talk about width restrictions. However, I've slept 2 or 3 times since then so I could be wrong.

Does anyone still have the "dot" report from the Camden meeting? I had computer problems in December and I lost all of my emails prior to 12/21/07. :frown:

.270Win
Holey moley.....width restrictions....antler point restrictions....lets just go one better and limit zone 12 to one eyed blue bucks or better! Good Lord....where does it ever end?????:smack:

·
Registered
5,611 Posts

.270Win
You are not losing your marbles......there is no mention of the width restrictions for the camden "dot" report, wonder why and how they put that in on the above presentation for GCP:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/CP1/WORKSHOPS/workshopCamden.png

Edit: They got it from the Hope meeting:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v417/CP1/WORKSHOPS/?action=view&current=workshopHope.png

More justification for the zone 12 reduction in size. Hope and Camden are two different deals and Hope should not dictate anything for central and eastern zone 12

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
From G&F site...

"After listing issues and advice on separate sheets of flip chart paper, participants were asked to decide the single most significant idea identified at each table."

"When finished, a person at each table gave a verbal report on that table’s single most significant idea. Then after a few brief closing remarks, on the way out, participants were asked to put sticky dots on those items that they, as individuals, thought most important."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"The comments in bold, in the individual workshop tables below, are those items selected by an individual work group as their most significant/important."

If I read this correctly...the "bold" items were the "most important item at ONE table". These tables were open to any "group" of buddies that showed up...such as dog hunters, gun hunters, bow hunters, spear chunkers, land owners...and so forth.

Yet it seems that these "single table" thoughts were the mostly used items as "highlights"...ignoring much of the other input???

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Would you come to our deer club meeting next month a tell some people in our club this??? It kills me to hear people talk about deer that are brought into camp say "that deer needed to be shot, because of blah blah" The 6 point i killed this year was 15 inches wide, symetical rack, 2.5 year old deer, and people told me they were glad i shot it because it was cull..........just because it did not not have eyeguards :smack:

This is the reason I would never support any cull buck regulation, and I will not support it when our club wants to get some cull buck tags under DMAP. There are not many people who can determine if a buck should be culled or not, and your just going to blow away your future bucks.
Unless it is near bottom lands or some type of crop there has not been any good forage for the deer especially before food plots which are widely used now. Lets face it I hunted for the longest time around the Fountian Hill area and you are are talking about a lot of pine and very poor forage. In that type of situation you will not be able to have very good horned bucks. I may be totally off base here but I feel I am close to right on this.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
I could go for a 'buck of choice'.........if the Timber companies biologists will let us do it ! when you are looking at 28 bucks, at one time, 3 are racked, but not legal by Timber co. management plan, and the other 25 are spikes!!!!!! I think a buck of choice or culling needs to be done............

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I think a buck of choice or culling needs to be done............
I think letting hunters choose which bucks are "culls" is a futile attempt at genetic management...but I could agree with a 'first buck four on one side'/'second buck of choice'.

That would still save many spike (yearling) bucks that would get shot (culled) with a first buck of choice.
It would also improve the actual "registration" of all first kills...in order to get to that second BoC...and count ALL buttons as the BoC even when it is a first buck.

Would we (genetic managers) not shoot a good eight point if he and a two year old forked antler walked out together???? Would we take out the so called cull???
I think we know that answer.:wink:

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,272 Posts
I think letting hunters choose which bucks are "culls" is a futile attempt at genetic management...but I could agree with a 'first buck four on one side'/'second buck of choice'.

That would still save many spike (yearling) bucks that would get shot (culled) with a first buck of choice.
It would also improve the actual "registration" of all first kills...in order to get to that second BoC...and count ALL buttons as the BoC even when it is a first buck.

Would we (genetic managers) not shoot a good eight point if he and a two year old forked antler walked out together???? Would we take out the so called cull???
Some wise guy culled my management buck......shot him and left him...I fount his skull...I'll have pics as soon as I can stand the stink!:wink:

·
Registered
9,622 Posts

I agree!!

It's fustratng to spend hours on a stand, and see nothing but spikes....and by their size, you can tell, that you are not seeing the same deer over and over......although some are.......and then the bucks you are seeing are decent...just shy of management goals.....and then the 'legal' bucks are there, just nocturnal........

What I might call a cull, someone else might not...so that is a hard call!!

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
HG...just a sidenote..:wink:

Last year I took part in the "bowhunter observation" program.

I hunted almost every day (in October)and, noted on paper, each deer that could be actually identified. The numbers really amazed me.
Now this is just October...

Hunting time=52 hrs.
Total deer observed=681

SPIKES.......134
3-4 Point....32
5-6 Point....20
7-8 Point....20
9-10 Point..01

Doe..........342
Fawn........132

Never have I had that many spike bucks or even close to it.
It really worried me after I organized the data and I was reluctant to send it in to G&F because I believed it was an anomaly....
AND it was.

This last season...all five months, I have seen seven spike bucks and likely fifty legal shooters....which tells me to not get too excited on the visual percentages of smaller bucks cause the little ones is what make the bigguns....:thumb:

Hunter observation is not a reliable way to estimate any element of our deer herd....period.
It should only be used for "trend" data.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts