Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I myslef use a Maglite Rechargeable system. It came with the truck (12 volt dc) and home 120 volt (ac) chargers. This light is very bright with a halogen bulb. Just wondering what everyone else uses. It was expensive but comes with lifetime warrenty and never used batteries.:thumb: It comes in handy when on fire scenes with the added orange cone that fits on top of it making a traffic wand. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,524 Posts
I typically just use cat eyes while hunting.

I also carry a 5-D maglight in the truck for bloodtrailing/emergency

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I use a Sure Fire G-2 and a cap light. Cap light will get you there and the G-2 will light up the things that go bump in the dark.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I use a headlight with leds. I like to use the red or green lights so it doesn't mess up my night vision. And it lights up the bright eyes marking the way to my stand like a super highway. I always have a 4 cell Mag light with led bulb in the jeep, mounted to the roll bar for tracking, or emergency.

·
Grand Member
9,804 Posts
I've got 4 of the 2 AA mag-lights. Keep one in the truck, one stays in my tool belt, one in the boat and one in the house. Tough, dependable little lights.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I use the 4-D cell Maglites for most serious outdoor lookin. Just for gettin around, I use a mini-mag, which I just bought a $7 LED conversion from Wally World........love it!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a maglite recharable plus I use a coon hunting light from Nite Lite that my father got me years ago it has spot light plus battery pack and head lamp works great for tracking.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I've got several AA mag lights around, all have been converted to the three LED system, batteries last amazingly long time, and the LED bulbs will outlive me. I use a petzel headband light with 4 LED's to do nearly anything after dark, keeps the hands free so you can work. I have an 18 volt spot lamp that uses the same batteries as my 18 volt cordless tools, it reaches out where the LED's don't.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Lights

I use several lights. The first is a regular 4 AA light for general purpose.

The others are high intensity lights that put out in excess of 100-140 lumens depending on bulbs. Two of the lights are considered tactical lights. The Maglight became popular when the old leather coated slappers were outlawed for police use. I tend to think of the newer lights as an advancement but do not carry the weight of the 5 D cell Mag.

My Browning light puts out 140 Lumens and that is bright!! Iuse it in the woods for lighting everything up and searching for that lost limb light or pin or just for the heck of it.
The smaller tactical lights that put out 100 -140 lumens can be mounted on a weapon or a bicycle etc. Output and length of battery life is dependent on the bulb. 9p or 12P . These lights burn out in 45 min to 1.5 hours . Spare batteries are a necessity. Best buy spares and a charger on eBay or you'll go broke on the 123A batteries.

My favorite toy is the 500 -600 lumen light. It will throw a light beam so far you have to whip out your binocs to see what it is lighting up. Basically a flashlight with the 1 million candle power. Shine this little cookie in some ones eyes and they will only see blue stars for a few seconds.

I use most of these inspecting attics and crawl spaces.

Please note that the lens ring on the tactical light is scalloped. This is used for self defense by making a stabbing , hitting raking motion. I am told that this can be very uncomfortable on the individual receiving the hit.

All of my tactical lights I have ordered off eBay from Hong Kong (If Walmart, Sports Academy etc can do it so can I.)

·
Registered
832 Posts
500Lumen Light

This is one of my favorites. Three versions 500 and 600 lumens. One is a rechargeable light. Too bright for just regular use. Cost about $60 from Hong Kong.
A good place to look around at how battery combinations and bulb/lens combinations work is Lumnes.com

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
I normally use a green or white LED cap light for getting to the stand.......for needs of a brighter light, I have a 'knock-off' type light that is LED and uses 3 (or 4) AAA batteries, and is plenty bright...not much bigger than a 2 AA Mini-maglite..........

work.......where I spend more time than anywhere (it seems like), I have one of the Knoc-off's, plus a 4 cell Maglite, and then a 12v Rechargable 'Show-Me' light...similar to the older type lights that used the 6c springtop batteries...it is bright!!! and I also have a couple different hard hat lights that are LED and are adjustable, up or down......not to mention the Spot lights on the Truck and 1 'Go Light' Remote controlled that is super bright!!!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Expensive at initial purchase but no batterys to buy and tough.
Mine is three years old and going strong. only thing I have replaced is the bulb.
I use mine every day on the job and that might have something to do with it dependability but I love it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts