Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what type of trap this is? What is the intended target species?

This trap is not in Arkansas. A friend out of state is asking as it was placed without a permit or proper Info (name etc of trapper). He is just hoping to learn more what the trap is for etc.

They may place a game camera to see if the person comes back to check the traps.
Vehicle
Tree Wilderness Soil Trail Sunlight

Attachments

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Looks like an MB 550 maybe. Fox, coyote, bobcat trap. Actually maybe a little small for coyote and cat but it would hold them just don't have a big target area. With the feathers hanging there I'd say they were after a bobcat.

·
Super Moderator
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was placed next to a USFS horse and hike trail. Dogs are allowed on trail and it caught their dog's foot. Dog didn't panic and will be fine. But no trapping is allowed in that area.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Good deal. Hope they fine the heck out of him/her. Trappers get enough bad press for this kind of stuff.

Sorry if I came off a little gruff but I've had too many bad encounters where people took my traps and tried to claim that it wasn't legal to trap on public land when it was clearly printed in the reg books that area was open to trapping. It's still better to report than just take something. If it wasn't legal you could find yourself face to face with a PO'd outlaw and if you are mistaken and it was legal then you just stole someone's property.

·
Super Moderator
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's alright. I understand. The reason I came to you all for the info is that I knew you guys would feel as I do that folks like this trapper are causing trouble for all of us who hunt etc the legal way.

The trap is in the hands of the ranger. They had my friend leave the lure in place and it's likely there will be a camera watching to see if the person comes back. The trap could not have been placed there unknowingly/by mistake... It was not far at all from the gate/road access to that trail and there are signs at that gate.
And well...there's a reason it didn't have their name/number on it I'm guessing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.