What to look for?

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by Veo, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Veo

Veo Super Member<br>2012 Turkey Contest Winner

I'm going to buy an AR shortly after Christmas, but honestly, I know nothing about AR's other than the few I've shot I have liked. I don't want to build one because like I said, I don't know enough about the platform. I'm sure I could do it, but would rather get a factory complete rifle to start and go from there.

I don't want to spend over $1,000 on the rifle alone. Obviously the cheaper the better, but I want something that's not a piece of junk either, ha.

Currently I have been looking at the S&W M&P Sport, I really like the rifle, and my buddy has one and I have shot it a lot and really like it.

With that said, I really don't know what to look for or what options it doesn't have or does have that others don't?

Any guidance from you guys and maybe throw some other good solid models out I could look at?

Thanks

2. paxcolt

paxcolt Well-Known Member

Conway
    What do you plan to use it for?

3. 45-70hunter

45-70hunter Well-Known Member

The m&p15's are good rifles. Also stag's are quality ar15's, you could get a complete BCM upper which are my personal favorite and a complete lower, and just snap em together for about a $1000.

4. Veo

Mainly just for fun, I just want one, I'll plink with it. May coyote hunt with it, although I coyote hunt maybe 1 or 2 times a year, may kill a deer with it at some point. Just a little of anything and everything, mainly just to mess with and have an AR, ha.

5. Veo

Is that really all you have to do, just snap em together and it's ready to shoot?

Thanks

6. paxcolt

Conway
    If you have a complete upper & lower, yes. Push out 2 pins, put upper onto lower, push pins back

If it's just going to be a plinking/hunting/fun gun, the M&P Sport should serve you just fine and leave some cash for ammo.

7. js05_14

js05_14 Well-Known Member

Yes. They lock together with two pins. When I got my BCM upper receiver I had to get the bolt carrier group separately but that was over 4 years ago. They might come with one now. I really want to pick up a BCM complete lower receiver to match my upper. Right now it is sitting on a CMMG lower that I assembled. Really want to get a CMMG dedicated .22 upper for it.

8. Veo

Thank you. I know, I think at least, they have a lifetime warranty too, which I like. And yeah, that's what I figured, save me a couple or three hundred dollars, for optics and ammo.

Then when I learn more, konw what i really want and what not, I could spend more on my next if need be.

9. Veo

Cool thanks.

So If I got a SW Mand P sport, could I buy a .22 upper to put on it?

10. js05_14

js05_14 Well-Known Member

Yes. They will attach just like the M&P upper. I currently have a stainless CMMG .22 drop-in conversion. It is a bolt group and chamber adapter that replaces your 5.56 bolt carrier group. Mine works well. You can get lots of trigger time with the $200 conversion kit and a brick of .22's. The .22's can fowl your gas system if you don't occasionally run some 5.56 rounds through it after shooting a lot of .22LR's. Mine is plenty accurate for plinking, but the 1:7 twist of my barrel is not ideal for the 22LR bullets. I was just checking out the CMMG .22 uppers and they run $380 ish at Midway USA.

11. Revnate

Revnate Well-Known Member

Fordyce
    Take a look at Windham Weaponry.

12. Veo

Thanks that's awesome to know!

13. paxcolt

Conway
    Sounds like you're going about this the right way. Get your fun gun now, learn the platform by shooting the snot out of it & trying different accessories, then you'll have an idea of what setup works best for you if you decide to get a "trust your life to it" AR down the road. If you were able to go a grand or a little over on just the rifle alone right now, I'd steer you toward the "trust your life to it" brands right off the bat. But if the choice is gonna be between a BCM/Colt/Daniel Defense that sits in the safe, or an S&W Sport that you take out and shoot a lot & learn with, I gotta go with the S&W.

14. varmit_master

varmit_master Well-Known Member

I seen a RRA 20 inch carbine coyote used in a gun shop in mtn home looked new.

15. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
  16. Veo

Thanks a lot, that's what I'm thinking too. Ill look at the above, I can spend the money for them, just like you said I'd kinda like to get my feet wet and go from there.

Thanks a lot I really appreciate it.

17. Veo

18. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    With one lower you can have multiple uppers. Punch out 2 pins and you can have 22LR for small game and cheap trigger time; 223 for deer/predator hunting, SHTF, etc; 6.5/6.8 for longer range medium game hunting if you want a little more punch than the 223; and 450/458 (45/70 ballistics) for the thick stuff and bustin' piggies and such.

19. paxcolt

Conway
    Or in other words, you might wanna keep an ice pack handy to keep your credit card from melting! :biggrin:

20. Veo

Sounds like I better get this bought ASAP :(