Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do with the fish after you shoot them i've always heard that carp ain't worth eating. Just wanderin how to cook trash fish or just use them for garden fertilize?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Gar meat is good but don't eat the eggs. I've talked to people who like carp but every time I tried it I couldn't stand it. Just got tired of people makin' fun of me trying to eat that stuff. I've heard you can pressure cook it and can it in a jar or a metal can then eat it like Salmon. Try Google search for the term "Carp Lemonade". They had some recipes on there a while back that made sense. When I was a kid we had cats that were powerful fond of them.

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
My mom used to do it all the time when I was a kid. It really didn't taste much different then a salmon patty. Dad would skin them out and cut all the big bones out. Then mom would put them in mason jars with a fair amount of salt and I think some lemon juice, then can them in a pressure cooker. When preparing them she used the meat just like you would a salmon or mackerel patty: Fish, crackers, bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper to taste, then fry it up. I liked it dipped in mustard and ate any leftovers in a sandwich with mustard and cheese.

I'm not real poor anymore and would eat it if I had the chance today. :up:

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I've ate gar and carp and I LOVE me some Buffalo!!!

My biggest trouble is I can't remember how to clean gar!!! Not really gonna eat another carp if I can help it!!! But, I may get that hungry again someday!

The last gar I ate was about 15 yrs ago during a fishing trip with my ex-in-law's. Someone showed up with them already dressed out and ready to cook. And they were fine!! Meat as white as cotton and it was GOOD! But I didn't see how it was cleaned and only got told how to do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.