Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Not my problem.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You are in your stand and have already used one buck tag on a deer of just average quality. You are now waiting for that "special" one you know is there for your last tag (two buck limit) and have passed several lesser bucks over the recent part of the season. Now you see coming out of the woods and slowly struggling past the stand a six point buck that has been shot and is dragging and obviously broken and bloody leg behind him. Do you
a. Shoot him and end his suffering using up your tag and ending your season.
b. Shoot him, but not report it and save your tag, still thinking you did the right thing.
c. Think about it, and want to, but know you would report it, and just can't use up that last tag, and let him walk.
d. No thinking to it; "Not my problem".
:confused:

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,584 Posts
You are in your stand and have already used one buck tag on a deer of just average quality. You are now waiting for that "special" one you know is there for your last tag (two buck limit) and have passed several lesser bucks over the recent part of the season. Now you see coming out of the woods and slowly struggling past the stand a six point buck that has been shot and is dragging and obviously broken and bloody leg behind him. Do you
a. Shoot him and end his suffering using up your tag and ending your season.
b. Shoot him, but not report it and save your tag, still thinking you did the right thing.
c. Think about it, and want to, but know you would report it, and just can't use up that last tag, and let him walk.
d. No thinking to it; "Not my problem".
:confused:
Or e.
Shoot it, and tag it then report it and ask for your tag back in which case the AGFC will take the deer, and reinstate your tag...IMO:wink:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I can speak to what John Stiles was referencing to. Three years ago, I was trying to thin our doe herd a little during the rifle season at our camp in Hope. I had, what I thought, was a big long nose doe come out about 100 yards and I dropped it. Upon coming up to the deer, I was soon to find out that it wasn't a doe. It was a buck that had never grown his horns back. He looked like one who had just dropped his horns and never grew them back. Upon further inspection, the deer was very scrawny and the bones were almost sticking out of the skin in his hips. I went ahead and tagged him and counted him as a buck, to be legal. A buddy came in camp and helped me in skinning the deer. After skinning him, we noticed that his meat had a funny smell and was real dark. We showed some other guys in camp and decided to take the deer to the gut pile, fearing that it had something majorly wrong with it. We then decided to call AGFC to have them come out to examine it to determine what was wrong. They took the deer and concluded that the deer had severe trauma (probably from being hit from a car) and that it probably wouldn't have made it through the winter. It was in horrible shape. They were then nice enough to give me my tag back. They said if I was honest enough to tag that deer and take a loss, that they would be more than glad to give it back to me so I could harvest another buck. I thought that was a great sign by the AGFC of doing the right thing1 :thumb:

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
I've been in this situation myself. Several years ago on opening day a member of the camp shot on a stand near me (about 400 yards away). A little while later a small 8 point came by me and I could see a bullet hole in his gut. So I went ahead and put him out of his misery. I then walked to that guys stand and told him I had his deer. I then took him to the deer where he put a tag on it and thanked me for finishing it off for him.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Back when I worked for King's Taxidermy in El Dorado we were in the shop working one cool day in September & heard a loud thump & brakes squealing..Turned out that the folks had hit a doe & kept going..Both of the doe's front legs were broken at the knees..The deer (struggling) ran beside a guys house & out through a small field,,meantime I grabbed my .22 pistol out of my truck & chased the deer to save her from a sure enough slow death..Although I had a hell of a time catching up to her,,I just don't think she would've made it with both front legs broken..When I did get up behind her I shot her in the backbone & then finished her with a quick headshot..Nothing but woods behind me & I was hitting nothing but deer anyway..Well,,the homeowner flogged me ( by mouth,,brave huh to cuss a fella with a pistol )..G.King tried to talk him down,,I just went back to the shop dragging the doe..Figured it was best for me to do that,,not to mention the fella that lived there..Well,,he called the ElDo police & they showed up,,asked what had happened & had me show them exzactly how it happened..Kind of got on to me but in a VERY understanding & polite way & went about their buisness catchin Crackheads & Methicans ectect..Me & Greg skinned the doe & split her for some early backstrap...Don't know if AG&F were ever contacted about it..May have been wrong but in my eyes ( & Heart),,it was the RIGHT thing to do..No,,at the time I didn't use a tag because I hadn't even bought that year's license yet & had the blessing of the cops to keep the deer..Never saw the homeowner again..But yea,,I would shoot & tag ANY deer that I thought needed to be put out of it's suffering,,if out of season,,I'd do the same & then call AG&F....

·
Registered
305 Posts
Back when I worked for King's Taxidermy in El Dorado we were in the shop working one cool day in September & heard a loud thump & brakes squealing..Turned out that the folks had hit a doe & kept going..Both of the doe's front legs were broken at the knees..The deer (struggling) ran beside a guys house & out through a small field,,meantime I grabbed my .22 pistol out of my truck & chased the deer to save her from a sure enough slow death..Although I had a hell of a time catching up to her,,I just don't think she would've made it with both front legs broken..When I did get up behind her I shot her in the backbone & then finished her with a quick headshot..

"""" Nothing but woods behind me """"

& I was hitting nothing but deer anyway..Well,,the homeowner flogged me ( by mouth,,brave huh to cuss a fella with a pistol )..G.King tried to talk him down,,I just went back to the shop dragging the doe..Figured it was best for me to do that,,not to mention the fella that lived there..Well,,he called the ElDo police & they showed up,,asked what had happened & had me show them exzactly how it happened..Kind of got on to me but in a VERY understanding & polite way & went about their buisness catchin Crackheads & Methicans ectect..Me & Greg skinned the doe & split her for some early backstrap...Don't know if AG&F were ever contacted about it..May have been wrong but in my eyes ( & Heart),,it was the RIGHT thing to do..No,,at the time I didn't use a tag because I hadn't even bought that year's license yet & had the blessing of the cops to keep the deer..Never saw the homeowner again..But yea,,I would shoot & tag ANY deer that I thought needed to be put out of it's suffering,,if out of season,,I'd do the same & then call AG&F....
Mean't to say "nothing but woods IN FRONT of me"...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
shoot it to put it out of its misery and keep hunting. right or wrong i would NOT let a deer pass that was obviously suffering a long miserable death regardless of what it was (legal buck or not) and i would not tag it and then try to explain to the agfc why i deserve my tag back. if i didn't shoot it it would go off and die a miserable death and not be reported anyways, so why should i waste a tag on it?? i also wouldn't touch it, move it or tell anyone about it.:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.