what to do to fight tomato worms?

Discussion in 'Home, Garden, and Yard' started by sparkie, Jun 21, 2020.

1. sparkie

sparkie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

NEA
    I had 6 good looking tomato plants and i keep a good look on them for tomato worms--I only found one little one 1/4 in size of adult so it was little.. In the past 3 weeks they have gone to a sorry looking no leaves or just a few rolled up leaves-- but has a few tomatos on the vines if you can call them vines. I know that it is worms but i can not find another one but did pull off a jack ball size tomato with a worm hole in it. Sorry i can't send pictures. What can i put on them to kill the worms? OR what ever it is with the worms?

2. bullcreekboy

bullcreekboy Well-Known Member

Go out in the dark and shine a black light on them. They’re easy to see then.

sparkie and mikeljosf like this.

3. headhunter_60

headhunter_60 Super Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner

4. frogleg

frogleg Well-Known Member

Bacillus thuringiensis is what I'm going to try this year. Last year I think the catapillers got more of my tomatoes than I did. Some of them had so many holes they looked they had been shot with bird shot.

Bodcau boy likes this.
  5. firehog

firehog Well-Known Member

6. frogleg is giving you the best advice. The label I use is "Dipel Dust". It's been around forever. Thought everyone knew about it but guess not. Any product that contains Sevin will kill a lot of insects but it is probably the worst thing on earth for honey bee's so do yourself and the bee's favor and don't use Sevin at all.

7. sparkie

sparkie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

NEA
    The crazy thing is last year i had no not a worm my plants were over a 5' wire cage and back to the ground real healthy. I moved them only 10' back in the same 30x30' garden from where the were last year.
    I had read where or heard from a garden show not to plant tomatos in the same place every year.

8. rmcmurry

rmcmurry Well-Known Member

Glad to read this. The only thing I had found was the organic answer. To pull them off and drop them in a bucket of soapie water.

9. Kinglake

Kinglake Well-Known Member

Rotating tomato plants is to avoid various diseases largely contained and spread via soil. Tomato worms are moth larvae, so moving the plants has no bearing whatsoever. The adult moths will lay there eggs on suitable host.

sparkie likes this.
  10. frogleg

frogleg Well-Known Member

I thought I was going to have to order some BT but I found one bottle left at Tractor Supply today.

sparkie likes this.