Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-jacked this from another forum, what do ya'll think??

How about an annual permit to hunt state WMA's for everybody......

$250 for resident
$500 for non residents

Sort through some of the rif raf...... the thing that I would like about it would be it would slow some of the expanding groups down. Ya know, like when there are not many people in Bayou Meto on a Tuesday and 3 guys go and kill there ducks and then round up 5 more for the next day so they can stay in there and kill more. Maybe some of those 5 wouldn't go if they were going to have to buy a $250 permit. Or maybe it would eliminate some of the OOSer's at times... If you know going into it that you are going to have to pay $500 up front, maybe some will hunt private with a guide. Help prevent overcrowding and give Game and Fish more money for improving existing WMA's. Like maybe putting a damn well down at Cut Off or something!!!!!!!

And for those that say it is too expensive........... try to go join or buy a green timber duck lease or land nowadays. It is a fraction of a penny on the dollar. Best deal in the nation we have going now guys........... free. But for $250, still a heck of a deal if it would help with crowding and improve the quality of the hunting.

·
Super Moderator
9,435 Posts
I thought one of the reasons for public land is so we wouldn't have to pay for a lease?? With gas like it is, and the price for everything else with duck hunting, some people can only afford to hunt public land! I, in no way, would support such a high permit cost for accessing public land! And it would never pass in this state!

Why don't we just increase the price of the license about $2 so the G&F could buy more land? I also wouldn't mind seeing some kind of a limit to the number of out of state license that are sold.

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
I thought one of the reasons for public land is so we wouldn't have to pay for a lease??
I thought the same thing. I understand a minor fee, or say, $10 or so, but at 250 I can say byebye to duck hunting land. I can't afford a lease and I sure as heck can't afford a fee that high for public land.

Yep, it would get rid of the overcrowding, and duck hunting is turning into a nothing-but-rich-man sport anyways...

Poor guys like me who aren't rollin in the dough can kiss it goodbye in the future with high payment fees for supposedly, already paid for public lands.

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
I also wouldn't mind seeing some kind of a limit to the number of out of state license that are sold.
I do like that idea. Given, duck hunting is huge in this state alone, but getting rid of the OOS'ers who don't have a clue as to what they're doing would probably go a long way.

Limiting the OOS permits would be the best way to go. We want to encourage hunting in our state among our state's people first! Not make Arkansans sit at the house because there are too many yahoos from Missouri hunting their spots.

Why not make the outsider guys foot the bill and give our natives somewhat of a money "tax break" instead of raising local license prices? However, a $27.50 license is much better sounding to me than a $250 WMA fee.

However, since the OOS permits bring in so much revenue to the AGFC I bet they would never even consider limiting the outsider permits.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
No.....I would not pay that much to hunt PUBLIC land where you still could not do anything about people setting up 100 yards from you.

·
Super Moderator
9,435 Posts
However, since the OOS permits bring in so much revenue to the AGFC I bet they would never even consider limiting the outsider permits.
I agree with you there. That's why I almost didn't even post the idea. I know there will be the argument about "But these OOS hunters bring so much revenue to the areas they hunt." I know there will be some of that, but I think limiting the number of OOS (and I'm not talking a ton), and maybe increasing the license price a couple bucks to buy new land or improve existing land would be a step in the right direction. I think about 70,000 AR duck stamps are sold each year. That would be $140,000 each year if they raised the price by $2. Heck, it would be $350,000 if they raised it $5. I would be ok with that if it all went to habatat improvment or new land purchase. Maybe increase the OOS license a little too to pass more of the cost on to them. Just some ideas.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
The statement above is not a valid statement in the fact the G&F has publicly stated that revenue from ALL licenses & permit sales only account for a very small part of thier budjet. They have stated that the moneys derived from them barely off-set the operation cost of processing them. The reason given for the OOS WMA permits was to gather info on OSS usage, not to generate revenue. At $10 for a 5 day or $100 for a year it caannot be a money making deal when one has to pay 1 or maybe more salaries to personal to process them. The G&F recieves most of their operating income thru the the sales tax they get, most coming form lacals who reside inside this state 365 days a year, not OOS hunters who only show up for a few days!

I personally do not think having such a permit system as possed above should be considered as a first option. Sorry D&D! It will put an un-do bind on locals who have to pay year round as it is to keep thier wheels turning. The G&F needs to start taking care of those who take care of them year round first. I personally think the residents of Arkansas have allready paid their dues when the time comes to use the WMA's thru their yearly support of the system.

What I would like see done is this,

First, raise the permit fee on OOS hunters to use the WMA's to $100 for a 4 day hunt or $1000 for a yearly use permit.

Second, I would like for them to put restrictions on the days a OSS hunter can use the WMA's. On Monday thru Thursday the WMA's are open for OOS use. They can purchase their permits for 4 day & use them only on them days. But on Friday, Saturday & Sunday only legal residents of Arkansas can use the WMA's. No OSS hunter are allowed to be on the WMA's on those days, only resident hunters. Residents can use the WMA's on any days, but at least when the weekend days when working man is off work & his/her kids are out of school one can go & use the WMA's without the added OSS hunter's figured into the formula.

This would not be ban on the OOS hunter, something the G&F cannot do because of the Federal funding they get, but it would only be a restriction placed upon them, the same as other states allready have in place that pertains to the OOS hunters that come to their states to use their public lands. It would be an issue that would not create a posible legal issue because there is allready presidence in place for the action & it would be so easy to enforce because all a warden would have to do is look at where one is from. If they happen to be an OOS hunter & they are on the WMA on one of the restricted days, they get ask for an autograph! Plain & Simple! It will not cause conflict, something the G&F run from like the plauge, requires less work to enforce, something the G&F likes, less work, & lastly it will generate more $$$ from those who do not pay their fair share for the use of the WMA's!

Like I said, the G&F needs to start taking care of those who take care of them first! You feed your family & then after they have eaten, if any remains share it with others. Don't make you your kids go hungrey so other who could care less can have something to eat!

That my 2ct's worth for all it matters!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
i think paying an additional $250 for public land that we already helped pay for is out of the question. i would like to see arkansas up the fee for ooser's though. try going out west to hunt, they make a killing on out of state licenses and arkansas should do the same. i wish they would also do like oklahoma did and set up a "legacy permit". that is for every hunting or fishing license sold you have to pay $5 for this permit. this money is only used for purchasing new public land. i also wish they would open the wma's back up either for all day hunting or until 3pm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
overcrowding

what are you trying to do.just leave wellenough alone man.your going to screw it up for everyone.public land is just that PUBLIC.as for overcrowding 90percent of those people couldnt kill ducks if they were handed to them,if someone moves in on you,and they will!go find some more ducks.i am able to hunt everyday we kill ducks even when someone moves in on us you just gotta know how to do it.those people dont are you one of them?as for oos hunters some people got the bright idea to stop guiding would solve that problem it didnt in my opinion it made it worse now you have those people running all over the woods trying to kill a duck on there own.we hunted the same places everyday.this land is ours-ARKANSANS oos hunters want to hunt it it should be a law that they have to be with a guide.we already have enough restrictions on us PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
revenue

i almost forgot game and fish already waste-mismanage the money they already have and now you want to give them more??????????

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I didnt have any problems with ooser's crowding around us when we hunted the Metro. It was residents from Arkansas that kept showing up and crowding us and some of the rudest folks I ever got hollerd at by...d2

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what are you trying to do.just leave wellenough alone man.your going to screw it up for everyone.public land is just that PUBLIC.as for overcrowding 90percent of those people couldnt kill ducks if they were handed to them,if someone moves in on you,and they will!go find some more ducks.i am able to hunt everyday we kill ducks even when someone moves in on us you just gotta know how to do it.those people dont are you one of them?as for oos hunters some people got the bright idea to stop guiding would solve that problem it didnt in my opinion it made it worse now you have those people running all over the woods trying to kill a duck on there own.we hunted the same places everyday.this land is ours-ARKANSANS oos hunters want to hunt it it should be a law that they have to be with a guide.we already have enough restrictions on us PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The post that I made was HI-JACKED from another forum, NOT my post, just wanted to hear what ya'll thought. Don't get your panties in a wad, I hunt 95% public and I AM the guy everyone moves in on!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I do like that idea. Given, duck hunting is huge in this state alone, but getting rid of the OOS'ers who don't have a clue as to what they're doing would probably go a long way.

Limiting the OOS permits would be the best way to go. We want to encourage hunting in our state among our state's people first! Not make Arkansans sit at the house because there are too many yahoos from Missouri hunting their spots.

Why not make the outsider guys foot the bill and give our natives somewhat of a money "tax break" instead of raising local license prices? However, a $27.50 license is much better sounding to me than a $250 WMA fee.

Guys on here like to rip on OOS hunters but I've run into a lot more problems with Arkansans while duck hunting then I do with OOS hunters. Your typical OOS hunter is a guy who is ate up with duck hunting, is willing to travel long distances to do it and knows what he is doing. Most of the OOS hunters I have met spend more time scouting the WMA's then does your typical weekend warrior who lives right down the road from the WMA. They are generally real nice guys who have no incentive to be rude because it benefits them to make a friend while they are here who can email back and forth with them and tell them what the ducks are doing.

I've had only good experiences with OOS hunters.

If you really want to get rid of the rif raf on the WMA you need to start with the trouble makers that live right here in state.

·
Super Moderator
9,435 Posts
Guys on here like to rip on OOS hunters but I've run into a lot more problems with Arkansans while duck hunting then I do with OOS hunters. Your typical OOS hunter is a guy who is ate up with duck hunting, is willing to travel long distances to do it and knows what he is doing. Most of the OOS hunters I have met spend more time scouting the WMA's then does your typical weekend warrior who lives right down the road from the WMA. They are generally real nice guys who have no incentive to be rude because it benefits them to make a friend while they are here who can email back and forth with them and tell them what the ducks are doing.

I've had only good experiences with OOS hunters.

If you really want to get rid of the rif raf on the WMA you need to start with the trouble makers that live right here in state.
I think the whole things boils down to not enough land, to many hunters for the land we have, and ridiculous prices to lease land or become a member of a club. I'm in a deer lease that has 1800 acres and its $250 a year and we have deer galore with good bucks. Could you imagine what a duck lease with that much land would cost?:eek: And it's all to kill a critter that is about 20 times smaller than a deer. The only reason people can charge as much as they do is because they will get it from someone! It's ridiculous! I mean think how much farmers charge. Say a pit that hold 5 men. Think how easy it is to build? There is no extra habitat preparation because the crops are going to be there anyway, All that is required is pumping a little water in (which in the case of rice, is already there too) and digging a hole and putting in a big box.) Then charge say $5000 (5000/5 people= $1000 each). :smack: So you have to pay $5000 to hunt an area the size of a football field (if that big) when you could be in a deer lease that cost only $250 each and is approximately 1800 football fields! Like I said...ridiculous!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fellas as an OOSer I feel your pain. I would have no problem paying a higher fee, the fee should be higher for us. And yes, I try my best to respect all you fellas when I'm in your neck of the woods. Met some great friends that way!:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
9,435 Posts
Fellas as an OOSer I feel your pain. I would have no problem paying a higher fee, the fee should be higher for us. And yes, I try my best to respect all you fellas when I'm in your neck of the woods. Met some great friends that way!:thumb:
I've never had a problem is OOS, althought I do think their license is too cheap. Heck, I wouldn't mind paying a little more for the in-state stamp/license if it would go to more land!!! Or do like someone suggested, have an extra Habitat permit say at $5 or $10 that you have to buy that would go to land. I'm all for more land!!

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
ArkArcher, you cannot blaim anyone for taking money when it is handed to them. I am sure you, just like me would take all the money we can get when the chance present itself. It has become a monster that is allmost un-able to be feed as it is now. The condition you discribe came about because of the influx of OOS $$$! 30 years ago you could hunt just about anywhere you wanted in this area. Then came along someone who wanted it garrenteed that they had the right to hunt a certain spot so they pulled out the billfold and paid farmer Joe a little money. Then someone else wanted it worst so they dug deeper into their bilfold and paid Old Joe more. As time went on we ended up where we are at now. All the places we used to have to hunt on are now leased up & gated with purple paint everywhere. It is all based on supply & demand! The only places we have left are the public lands because the demand has taken in all the other places. But what makes me so made is we can stand outside these places we used to hunt & listen to them bang away while we have nothing, but the day the duck arrive on the public places so maybe we can maybe shoot guess what? Here they all come! They leave their private leases & crowd right into the public lands free of charge! When the ducks are gone they then return back to the private lands, lock the gates behind them & resume bussiness as usual!

Like I said, the farmer cannot be blaimed at all for taking what was offered, but I think it is time for the State to take a stand on what is going on. If they want to keep paying the price it takes to keep their private toy & keep the price of it up where it is, so be it, but they should not have the right to keep their toy & play with our anytime they want to also FREE OF CHARGE!

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,642 Posts
I have a major problem with that idea. That is pricing the OPPORTUNITY to hunt for some people right out of their wallets. I for one don't have $250 a year to hunt 1 or 2 times on a WMA (assuming I don't get drawn for a permit for a gun or ML hunt). While I am lucky enough to have access to a place to hang my stand and do some hunting, not everyone has such access. For some, public land hunting - especially WMAs might be their only opportunity.

And as has been posted so many times on this board by some very smart folks - I am against taking opportunities away.

Now - I realize that his thread is primarily related to waterfowl hunting - but again, some folks may not have access to any place BUT a WMA. If they are like me - just keeping the old waders from leaking too bad for another year, and springing for a couple of boxes of steel and a tank of gas to hunt a time or two is about all. Far too many people think that if you duck hunt, you must have money.

Well - to duck hunt, besides the equipment, you also have a license and stamps to buy, steel shot, and now to have to pay $250 to step foot on Bayou Meto or another WMA to get a chance to hunt?

And I completely understand the idea - the last time I hunted the Bayou, there was shooting all around us that made it very difficult to get ducks in. And I know a few folks who have quit going over there because of the crowding. But an additional permit/fee to hunt there just isn't right (except maybe the out-of-state hunters who generally are paying to come in and hunt anyway). I pay the same kinds of taxes as anyone - and what pays for those WMAs and the upkeep?

I will say - drawing the water levels down with weeks to go in the season is NOT the way to help the crowding problem!

I just don't see a practical and fair way of limiting the number of hunters.

Hi-jacked this from another forum, what do ya'll think??

How about an annual permit to hunt state WMA's for everybody......

$250 for resident
$500 for non residents

·
Banned
991 Posts
what can you do??? hit 'em where it hurts...the back pocket. i think a fee..not too steep but steep enough to weed out the fair weather hunters and such is OK. "waterfowl only permit".... on the other hand folks might pay the fee and really start crowding in to get their $ worth...:smack: i hate to see it gettign like this, but there is really no where it is going but DOWN hill.:censored:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts